Lions Additions and Cuts

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:40 pm
Hambone wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:52 pm

If he was a goalie he would have sunburn on his neck just like "Red Light" Racicot of the Habs years ago.
Best nickname for a goalie ever
I liked Warren "score against me" Skorodenski. But both of them were rather unfairly maligned. Racicot gave up a goal on the first shot and two more on six shots in twelve minutes before being pulled. But he got thrown into his first start without even being in the warmup due to Patrick Roy being injured in the warmup.
BC 1988
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:40 pm
Hambone wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:52 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:19 pm

Rumour has it that Brett Boyko suffered a severe case of whiplash as a result of defensive linemen blowing by him.
If he was a goalie he would have sunburn on his neck just like "Red Light" Racicot of the Habs years ago.
Best nickname for a goalie ever
Agreed. Even though he was vilified by Habs fans (who even succeeded in running Saint Patrick out of town a few years later) he is on the Stanley Cup. Modern day apologists have tried to make the case for his rehabilitation.
https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/hist ... atrick-roy
David
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:58 pm
His (Boyko) potential suggests they shouldn't be too impatient but he wasn't alone in letting pressure on the QB and I don't know if he was supposed to pick those non-picked up guys up BUT no one seemed to tell him that mid game. Saw no adjustments.
Agreed. To be fair, Chungh did not have a good game either and I thought Boyko played quite well against the Bombers.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

David wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:34 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
His (Boyko) potential suggests they shouldn't be too impatient but he wasn't alone in letting pressure on the QB and I don't know if he was supposed to pick those non-picked up guys up BUT no one seemed to tell him that mid game. Saw no adjustments.
Agreed. To be fair, Chungh did not have a good game either and I thought Boyko played quite well against the Bombers.

Foucault had a rough start in his first year but his second year was much better as he bulked up, got more prep and actual game experience. Boyko could likely benefit from the same. One game isn’t enough to be a measuring stick.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:
I cut Boyko some slack as basically he spent his entire time in the NFL just figuring out to stay in the NFL versus actually like many in the CFL - wanting to play, develop and improve.

His potential suggests they shouldn't be too impatient but he wasn't alone in letting pressure on the QB and I don't know if he was supposed to pick those non-picked up guys up BUT no one seemed to tell him that mid game. Saw no adjustments.

It's a bit scary when we're now signing ex-Als DEF players lol .... but who knows.
No disagreement there. What did cause me a WTF moment re: Boyko was that 2 play sequence where BC started around their 5. Reilly got sacked at the 1 on the first play then desperately got rid of the ball on the next play to avoid being sacked in the end zone for a safety. Boyko was the victim on both plays and they wound up conceding the safety anyways.

In fairness to BC's OL Edmonton's defense was like a swarm of sharks smelling blood. Once they smelled that BC was going to stubbornly empty out the backfield every play they became emboldened. They just kept the pressure up sending 5, 6 or 7 pass rushers. BC refused to make any sort of adjustments so they kept on bringing the house. I could have sworn on one play they sent 8.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Dusty
Champion

IIRC, Boyko's natural position is a guard, not a tackle. So the footwork as a tackle is new to him and I can see how he could have difficulty handling the angles of DE's coming towards him. As a tackle, you need to stay with your block and push the DE wide and behind the QB. There were times when he let the DE or LB go early and the Defence player had an easy route to Reilly, being level with him. That additional 1-2 seconds of blocking can mean the difference between a sack and completion.... except where Reily seemed to be hanging onto the ball a long time before being sacked.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:03 am
In fairness to BC's OL Edmonton's defense was like a swarm of sharks smelling blood. Once they smelled that BC was going to stubbornly empty out the backfield every play they became emboldened. They just kept the pressure up sending 5, 6 or 7 pass rushers. BC refused to make any sort of adjustments so they kept on bringing the house. I could have sworn on one play they sent 8.
This is one of the biggest frustrations for Lions fans. Other teams' QBs get sacked, sure. But our QBs seem to routinely become human pinatas in big games, getting swarmed from a relentless pass rush that our scheme and Oline seem unable to do anything about. Season after season. It's really quite remarkable.

If I was to write a book about our beleaguered teams through the years, it would be "Death, Taxes, and Multiple Sacks."

Roar, You Lions, Roar
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

Dusty wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:48 am
IIRC, Boyko's natural position is a guard, not a tackle. So the footwork as a tackle is new to him and I can see how he could have difficulty handling the angles of DE's coming towards him. As a tackle, you need to stay with your block and push the DE wide and behind the QB. There were times when he let the DE or LB go early and the Defence player had an easy route to Reilly, being level with him. That additional 1-2 seconds of blocking can mean the difference between a sack and completion.... except where Reily seemed to be hanging onto the ball a long time before being sacked.
It says on his profile that he played guard and tackle at UNLV. I would also assume that he would have to know both while playing on a NFL practice roster.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Still a bit of a training camp vibe with this team and likely why they are 0-2 and in danger of 0-3.

So Dozier will become the 3rd player to start at safety since the pre-season. Went through 3 weeks of camp with several imports then gave the job to Thompson after signing him 5 days before opener and now Dozier. Should be the best option but it might take some time.

Meanwhile, Thompson will make is first-ever start at corner on Saturday in place of Termansen who was at least given a longer look. Thompson the best option over giving Tucker a try when you already have 8 starting nationals? We shall see.

Offensive line shuffles again with 3rd different centre since Pierson was demoted at TC for Steward. Now Roy's chance with Steward back to his old position and Foucault stepping in for the injured Boyko at tackle.

This would all be great if the pre-season was 4-games long.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

CrazyCanuck89 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:11 pm
Dusty wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:48 am
It says on his profile that he played guard and tackle at UNLV. I would also assume that he would have to know both while playing on a NFL practice roster.
According to his UNLV bio:
2011: Started all games at left tackle as a redshirt freshman
2012: Played and started 4 games as he battled injuries all season long.
2013: Started all 13 games at left tackle
2014: As a senior he started all 13 games. He started the season at left tackle then around mid season shifted to left guard.

https://unlvrebels.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5561
Dusty
Champion

Thanks for the corrections Hambone and Crazy Canuck. My recall of Jovan at the tackle spot was that his feet were farther apart as he moved backwards and he also moved deeper in the pocket that I saw from Boyko. Essentially, if the DE or LB is pushed back behind the QB, the tackle is still there between the DE/LB and the QB when they try to get back to the QB. Guards don't need to drop back as much.

I'm not trying to pound on Boyko. It's just always better to assign players to where their strengths are best fitted.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Dusty wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:13 am

I'm not trying to pound on Boyko. It's just always better to assign players to where their strengths are best fitted.
Boyko was a multi team 3 year PR player in the NFL who might have dressed for one or two games, was a AAF backup and hasn't looked all that comfortable or capable so far in the CFL. IR or PR might actually be where his strengths fit best.

He does play tackle and guard on both the right and left sides of the Oline. I wonder if he has ever played centre?
David
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:09 am
Boyko was a multi team 3 year PR player in the NFL who might have dressed for one or two games, was a AAF backup and hasn't looked all that comfortable or capable so far in the CFL. IR or PR might actually be where his strengths fit best.
Let's keep in mind a few things before writing off Boyko after one tough start on an afternoon when, frankly, the whole team didn't look good.

1) He looked good against the Bombers (I recall he went up against Willie Jefferson)
2) He sustained an injury in camp. While it may only be of the "nagging" style, let's see him at full health first.
3) He hasn't started many pro games despite his age. Not to make excuses but he is "new" to Canadian football and its nuances (yard off the ball etc).
4) Let's remember that Foucault was in a similar position and looked markedly better in Year 2 than Year 1.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I think the Eagles and Chargers mostly worked Boyko at guard. Pretty sure he only suited up for 1 regular season game in his time in the NFL and that was quite late in the 2017 season. IIRC.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have brought back DB Keon Lyn and released rookie D'Londo Tucker. Lyn is a natural cornerback who was backing up boundary corner Garry Peters in training camp before being moved to safety. He was released after having a bad outing in the second preseason game.

LIONS BRING BACK DB KEON LYN