Eskimos 39 - Lions 23 -- Post-Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Pass protection poor.

Rushing poor.

Game plan poor. Play calling poor.

Harris 294 yards.

Gable 111 yards rushing.

Reilly 149 yards passing.

White 8/24 yards.

Eskimos 7 sacks.

Lions 0 sacks.

Why is Reilly still in the game? Is he the Head Coach, like Joe Kapp, who would send the FG team off the field? Lines of authority unclear.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Chris Edwards behaving like an idiot, as Harris tries to talk to him, post-game.

Claybrooks has the deer in headlights look. WTF is happening?

Reilly taking a zillion hits. :dizzy:

Game 2. The team looks awful. If Reilly can't play, the team will look worse. Reilly does not want to come out, but he is not the HC.

Decent of Maas to not run up the score at game end. Many coaches would have punched it in. And most players would have wanted to punch it in.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

That's one time you more likely burn the film and refocus them on the standard you have to play at.

Then put some run packages and innovation into the game. Last night Riders and Redblacks were credited with calling good plays on the offence.

Notice where the rush from the Esks came from consistently as they knew that Reilly was passing and there was zero variety in the play calls.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions did run the ball 9 times............. 5 times more than last week............
CardiacKid
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:41 pm
All of that scoring, and both teams were running largely RPO offences. There’s hope for Jarious Jackson yet.
Hahahahahahahah!!!!! That is rich! I just leaked a little...... :roll:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

That was a disappointing effort, or lack of effort. The Lions were outcoached and outworked from the outset. The Esks brought pressure all night, even after Reilly had some early success. Almost every pass play was slow developing straight dropback. There was no tempo, no change of pace, nothing to slow down the pass rush.

The Lions did nothing defensively except sit back in a passive zone and let Trevor Harris pick them apart.

This is worse than anything dialled up under Wally in past regular seasons. It looks more like a typical B.C. no-show in the playoffs. You can't win if your heads and hearts aren't in the game, and the Lions rolled over in the second half of this one like they did in Week 1. They just started 145 minutes earlier this time.
Blitz
Team Captain

Well, it just looked like Mike Reilly had just had that 'OL DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS SYDNDROME .....hanging onto the football too long and taking too many sacks.

Or just MAYBE, MAYBE, even though he spends a ton of time at the clubhouse looking at tape, MAYBE, MAYBE, Ed Hervey should go public and state that Reilly needs to SLEEP AT THE PRACTICE FACILITY during the season.

Er, maybe not, but Reilly sure looked a lot like Jonathan Jennings or Travis Lulay did behind center last season.

But I know this is a LONG SHOT, but MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, Jarious Jackson's offence SUCKS. Maybe, Maybe the MAIN CULPRIT is the REALLY PATHETIC OFFENCE. Mike Reilly did not play outstanding football as a quarterback in MacAdoo and Jarious offence in Edmonton. Reilly came into his own as an elite quarterback in Jason Maas offence in Edmtonton.

Reilly completed 51.9 % of his passes for 140 yds, and threw one touchdown and one interception. Our offence looked as incompetent as last season, unless either Jennings or Lulay had a lights out game.

But how long can this terribly schemed offence go on. Jackson either needs to be ordered to change the scheme or Jackson should be let go.

There is also a chance that Reilly is going to get hurt if this keeps on going.

Frustrating to watch.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
swervynmerv
Legend

A possible 0-3 start and this season could turn south quick. I was surprised to see many media pick the Lions for 4th or 5th in the West. Maybe they were right.

I didn’t like some of Hervey’s off season moves but wanted to see how it played out.

We are not the Edmonton Eskimos of 2015 and I definitely don’t like the John White signing. Small back with a history of major injuries.

Not a Duron Carter fan. I think he’s lazy , a sideshow and selfish player who goes through the motions most of the time and shows the odd flash of brilliance. Are we really to believe that 3 other CFL teams were that wrong on the guy. Bad signing in my opinion.

Did we get too focussed on Mike Reilly and forget about the rest of the team. Right now Edmonton looks like they schooled the Lions on off season moves.

2012 was the last time we were really good. That’s a long 7 year rebuild and it doesn’t look good so far.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I had a feeling before the season began that the Lions were going to finish dead last in the West. Hervey spend too much of his budget on one player and let go Solly which was a mistake. Their linebackers are terrible. Also why they kept Jackson is a mystery? Just to save money because he had one year left? With the coaches cap no way will he be fired despite how bad things get. He likely will be fired at the season's end. But how bad will the Lions record be? At this rate, I cannot see them beating anybody? They let go JJ, a great running back and replaced him with White who has not been good. Their defence is terrible and their offence line was brutal giving up sack after sack in the 4th quarter.

There was so much hype with Reilly and Claybrooks coming that is was bound to burst, for it was clear Lions had to go cheap in many areas, especially on defence and it really shows.

They will not beat Calgary next week and will start the season 0 and 3 and by then the interest that was generated in the off season will have worn off and they will draw poor crowds.

This is all on Ed Hervey though. He treated some players with no respect like Solly and now karma has come back to bite the Lions big time. Lions will battle the Riders for last in the West and Ed Hervey may be looking for a job at season's end since his contract is over.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

instead of the QB treating the O-line to a meal, they should treat Reilly with a gift of an armoured vehicle.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:37 pm

Or just MAYBE, MAYBE, even though he spends a ton of time at the clubhouse looking at tape, MAYBE, MAYBE, Ed Hervey should go public and state that Reilly needs to SLEEP AT THE PRACTICE FACILITY during the season.

:wink: :wink:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

This is all part of Hervey's plan to replicate the 2011 season. They will start the season 0-5. I will get pissed off, write a letter to the Lions then get an invite from Claybrooks to watch films. Jarius Jackson will make changes to the offence to include more motion, a running attack, a more diverse offence and viola, a Grey Cup in November.
David
Team Captain

Pretty sad when the only highlight of the night is the gorgeous new road uni. :dizzy:

Stirring post-game speech from Mike Reilly. I hope the coaches were in the room to hear it too as it applies to them. It's not physical, it's "up top" (*cough* Jarious Jackson *cough*). Brutal play calling tonight. Why no screens, roll-outs to move the launch point, draw plays etc.? Just straight drop-back with Sewell moving guys on rollerskates and Reilly going down like a twisted pretzel. Rinse, repeat.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
The_Pauser
Legend

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:57 pm
I had a feeling before the season began that the Lions were going to finish dead last in the West. Hervey spend too much of his budget on one player and let go Solly which was a mistake. Their linebackers are terrible. Also why they kept Jackson is a mystery? Just to save money because he had one year left? With the coaches cap no way will he be fired despite how bad things get. He likely will be fired at the season's end. But how bad will the Lions record be? At this rate, I cannot see them beating anybody? They let go JJ, a great running back and replaced him with White who has not been good. Their defence is terrible and their offence line was brutal giving up sack after sack in the 4th quarter.

There was so much hype with Reilly and Claybrooks coming that is was bound to burst, for it was clear Lions had to go cheap in many areas, especially on defence and it really shows.

They will not beat Calgary next week and will start the season 0 and 3 and by then the interest that was generated in the off season will have worn off and they will draw poor crowds.

This is all on Ed Hervey though. He treated some players with no respect like Solly and now karma has come back to bite the Lions big time. Lions will battle the Riders for last in the West and Ed Hervey may be looking for a job at season's end since his contract is over.
Well with Solly off to a very strong start to this season I think you've been proven correct.

Oh wait....

Jackson's contract is up at the end of this season. I doubt he'll be back, though it's still early.

Our offensive line was a strength last week. It was awful tonight though.

Karma in football isn't a thing. The team just hasn't been good enough. Starting 10 Canadians seems questionable but perhaps our scouting was poor and we just didn't find anyone who was worth starting. Termansen has looked awful, getting burned by Wolitarsky last week, and burned for a long TD this week.
Roar you Lions roar!
The_Pauser
Legend

Remember when people blamed Wally for our playcalling on offense? MAYBE just MAYBE it wasn't Wally all along?
Roar you Lions roar!