Eskimos 39 - Lions 23 -- Post-Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1329114
Mike Reilly is doing a 3pm Wednesday spot on Sekeres & Price every week (could be tough if things grind on like they have been) but he's well spoken. His takes on the beard and what happened vs EDM.
Pistrinus
Rookie

It seems to me what obviously was wrong with the last game it was there from the first play until the last play , I think this weekend we should have a better idea of the offensive design
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:23 am
Pistrinus wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:35 am
Why don’t you put up a film so we can all see if this revisionist history is true , they team didn’t play well , but somebody didn’t play well at all and one person doesn’t play well it can mess up the whole team
Revisionist or history? There is a lot of history on this site, game reviews, strategy discussions, play break downs, et cetera. Check it out.

I have posted pictures from time to time, with break downs. As noted above I will not do it at this time, for the Eskimo game. Anybody can do it. Run the film or highlights. Stop the action. Take a screenshot. Break it down. There have been hundreds of examples on this site, going back years. Post your own screenshots. No doubt I will post more in the future.

Go for it. Post your own pix. Break down the plays. Show us a pic, with discussion, of ''they team didn’t play well,'' or ''but somebody didn’t play well at all,'' or ''one person doesn’t play well it can mess up the whole team.'' A lot of stuff happens with individuals, and there are also scheme issues, overloads, confusion in the ranks. There are also pix of successful plays. Our team has had a fair share of success and failure.
Here's a great breakdown of what went wrong with each of the seven sacks given up by the Lions against Edmonton, complete with screengrabs. I don't recognize the source (theratiobreaker.com) but I can't disagree with any of the analysis.

Anatomy of a Play: Mike Reilly’s Nightmare
BC 1988
Legend

Thanks B.C. FAN. He goes into great detail, but in easy to understand language. That is a great site. Bookmarked, since I'd never seen the (anonymous) author before.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

That is good stuff, BCFAN.

I will look at it in detail later tonight.

What he has put together is a lot of work. Very time consuming. Over the years, for any particular game, I might have provided 4 pix. A lot of those dealt with O Line play, but included other elements as well. Like this poster, I also very much like to observe OL play.

Great to see this interest in the CFL, and the analysis.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Yes, thanks B.C.FAN for pointing to this post at 'The Ratio Breaker' site. It kinda ties in Caravetta's video chat with Baker (see Lions site) wherein the play of the running backs and the QB are mentioned as well as the O-line. I suspect many of us are in agreement that, bottom line, Jarious Jackson should have made adjustments to the play-calling, the situation being what it was/became, and apparently didn't (obviously not at all effectively anyhow). As I think WCJ commented, and I may well have muttered this as well more than once last season along with a few others, Jarious J. seems "in over his head" as O.C. Either that or he's dum stubborn as a mule. And that's, well... dum. I hope he listens to insightful voices around him and creatively adjusts. That's what he's paid to do.
BC 1988
Legend

There's a lot of reading on that site. I see his first post breaks down the play that lost CGY the GC in 2016. His 2nd most recent (Lawrence-Collaros) is sure to invite a lot of debate. It's interesting to go through these and try to find a team bias, but at least he does present a reasoned argument on all of them.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Excellent analysis
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:10 pm
There's a lot of reading on that site. I see his first post breaks down the play that lost CGY the GC in 2016. His 2nd most recent (Lawrence-Collaros) is sure to invite a lot of debate. It's interesting to go through these and try to find a team bias, but at least he does present a reasoned argument on all of them.
That's idiotic that Lawrence couldn't avoid the hit.

Two Ticats defenders were running towards Collaros in the same direction if you look at the video - one held up on the slide and Lawrence deliberately delivered a head shot.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Yes. Excellent work by theratiobreaker.com. And it is a lot of work, needing much time and effort.

It is appreciated.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Time is not much in luxury for the Lions. Fully expecting them to put up another L against Calgary. We haven't done well against Calgary for the most part and on their home turf and with them hungry for a W as well, the Lions could easily end up being 0-3. That is the beginnings of a pretty big hole to climb out of especially when you haven't been executing well which is why you are there in the first place. In short, whatever ails them, they need to find a cure pretty quick or they could find themselves in a situation where they are playing out the rest of the season in some vain attempt to scrape into the playoffs and hoping for a miracle. Not the kind of season that any of us really wants to have or watch.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.