CFL Games of Week 2 - June 20 - 22, 2019

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

SSK @ OTT

Gotta take OTT. Davis looks good enough. No Collaros for SSK.

BC @ EDM.

Maas' offence looks good, whether it is with Harris or Reilly. Jarious' offence still looks out of synch. Zero run game. :dizzy: Is Reilly setting the game plan? 40 passes. 4 runs. ''I need my 40 passes, Coach. Run game? Meh.'' Ha ha. Take EDM. Stubler's defence was no match for LaPolice's offence.

HAM @ TOR.

First game for TOR. Take HAM.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/football ... ed-eskimos

The Eskimos, under Maas, continue to take too many penalties.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Schedule

2019-06-17_0234.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

What is the right balance between the passing game and the run game?

Back in the day, Vince Lombardi wanted about an equal number of runs and passes.

In the CFL, the last few years, it seems to me that 300 yards passing, with 100 yards on the ground, makes for a good day on offence. Run and pass complement each other. The run softens up the DL, slowing down the pass rush, wearing down the D. The pass opens things up, creates gaps, stretches the field, and can really put a D on its heels.

We need much better balance between the two.

Just imo.

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I think last season was Jarious Jackson's first as a play caller so I am willing to give him a bye for last season. But if he doesn't do better from here on in, then I will be calling for a bye, bye for JJ.
Dusty
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:55 am

Back in the day, Vince Lombardi wanted about an equal number of runs and passes.

In the CFL, the last few years, it seems to me that 300 yards passing, with 100 yards on the ground, makes for a good day on offence. Run and pass complement each other. The run softens up the DL, slowing down the pass rush, wearing down the D. The pass opens things up, creates gaps, stretches the field, and can really put a D on its heels.

Just imo.
I wonder if an equal factor in the run/pass balance is where the team starts its drive. The Lions seemed to start their drives deep in their own end, where passing to get field position is more the norm.

I don't have access to a PVR of the game, but I wonder how many of Harris's run yards were between the Winnipeg 30 yard line and BC's 25 yard line.

It seems to me that plays between those markers have an equal chance of being run or pass or misdirection which really keep the Defence guessing. But drives that start inside the 10 or even the 25 seem more likely to be pass plays; attempting to quickly get better field position

just wondering....
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Dusty wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:08 am
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:55 am

Just imo.
I wonder if an equal factor in the run/pass balance is where the team starts its drive. The Lions seemed to start their drives deep in their own end, where passing to get field position is more the norm.

I don't have access to a PVR of the game, but I wonder how many of Harris's run yards were between the Winnipeg 30 yard line and BC's 25 yard line.

It seems to me that plays between those markers have an equal chance of being run or pass or misdirection which really keep the Defence guessing. But drives that start inside the 10 or even the 25 seem more likely to be pass plays; attempting to quickly get better field position

just wondering....
I have not checked any stats on this stuff, Dusty.

IMO, it does not matter where you are on the field. IMO you should have the defence not sure if a run or pass is coming. Always keep the defence guessing. Keep them off balance.

Of course, as the clock winds down, looking for a quick score from deep in your own end, teams go for the pass. Not much choice there.

The CFL is a beautiful passing game. But you must honour the run.

Just imo ...

Edit. Just looked at the stats from the Eskimos game. Harris was 32/41 for 447 yards. Gable ran 20 times for 154 yards. That is an awesome offensive game.

20 completions, 15 yard average, brings 300 passing yards. 20 runs, 5 yard average, brings 100 rushing yards. That is balance, and, I would say, very good productivity for a CFL offence.

Other factors play into it also, of course.

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Dusty wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:08 am

just wondering....
In this era teams often consider short passes to the tailback to be an extension of the running game. Knowing that White only had 4 carries overall and 2 in the first half I was surprised to see that according to the play by play log he either carried the ball, caught the ball or was the intended target on 6 of BC's first 13 offensive plays from scrimmage. He was again the target of 3 of the first 6 plays in the second half before falling off the Reilly's radar.

What really hurt BC re: Harris was how many of his 1st down runs left them with 2nd and short. He had 5 carries for 7 to 9 yards on 1st down. That's far too much bending in Stubler's bend but don't break scheme.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Stubler is capable of coming up with an aggressive D and not just a bend but don't break D. The question is: does he have the personnel to change things up?
pennw
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:10 pm
Stubler is capable of coming up with an aggressive D and not just a bend but don't break D. The question is: does he have the personnel to change things up?
Don't remember that in his last stint here . Lots of bending and breaking seemed par for the course from what I recall , especially when it matters most . Hope I'm wrong about that going froward , perhaps with some mentoring from Claybrooks , it will improve as the season progresses .
Washington was capable at times of bringing a good defense too , just not consistently . He's now the DC for the TiCats under Steinaur . We will see who brings a better defense of the two . If Stubler can't get it together this season , maybe it will be curtains for him after this year . At least Washington has age on his side.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lion game vs. NHL entry draft ? Decisions, decisions.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://theprovince.com/sports/football ... first-gear

Article posted by BCFAN on the post-game thread.

The running game. Rather, the lack of a running game. It has our attention.
“We called a lot more run plays than a lot of people suspect … but we didn’t like the read and we trust our quarterback if he pulls out of those,” Claybrooks admitted. “It’s predicated on what the defence gives us in those aspects, but we do have to be more disciplined in it.

“But we want to be a team that can run the ball and take over games that way. We have a great O-line, we have two good backs … we don’t want to put the onus all on Mike. We want balance on offence, just like any team would.”
A QB's inclination is to throw the ball. Especially a guy like Reilly with a lot of success on his resume. He made the read, and went with the pass. 39 passes did not bring us a win. 4 runs did not bring us a win. I have to say that lack of balance is on Reilly. And on Claybrooks and Jackson for letting it happen.

We got the Head Coach that Hervey wanted. We got the QB that Hervey wanted. We got Chungh and Carter. Building a team on the fly, with recruits from other places.

Not sure our receiving corps is top level. We need to see a lot more out of them. Burnham dropped some passes. Carter did his usual seeming walk through, casual as can be, not extending, not paying the price when challenged, dancing on the punt return. We are counting a lot on NATS, Durant, Johnson and Cottoy, well beyond expectations placed on them in the past. Not sure about our offensive game planning and playbook.

Not sure we have all the defensive parts we need. Not sure about our defence now after that poor outing vs the Bombers.

Lots of question marks. And it is early in the season. We will see ...

The games are always interesting. Every game is a test. Every game is a challenge. Looking forward to the Eskimos.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Media picks

Screenshot_2019-06-19-18-59-17.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/06/19/predictio ... k-2-picks/
CFL.CA STAFF

TORONTO — For the CFL.ca writers, the dream of a purrfect season in Total CFL Pick ‘Em was shattered quickly.

Our scribes weren’t the only ones thrown off in Week 1, as the REDBLACKS were 91 per cent underdogs before winning their Grey Cup rematch, while Blue Bombers were also a slight dog against Mike Reilly and the Lions.

This week three teams are on the bye, while the Argos will play their first game of 2019 as they host the Ticats on Saturday.

Total CFL Pick ‘Em is back in 2019 with weekly and season-long prizes for those who can pick ’em best (View rules and regulations, including prizing).

There’s no consensus, only slight underdogs as the writers make their picks for Week 2.

SSK at OTT
The Riders’ ground game was true to form in Week 1, but William Powell may need to do even more against his former team when they reacquaint on Thursday night. An early-season injury to Zach Collaros won’t take any pressure off the defence, which was projected to be the best in the CFL in 2019.

The REDBLACKS are feeling good coming off an upset of the Stamps in the annual Grey Cup rematch. Barely anyone picked them in Week 1, but Dominique Davis overcame a four-interception performance to score the game-winning touchdown with just over a minute left. Can Davis keep it rolling in Week 2?

PICK

Writers: 67% Ottawa

Fans: 52% Saskatchewan

BC at EDM
Friday will be an emotional night as Mike Reilly returns to Edmonton for the first time. Despite his 200-plus passing yards in the first half, the Lions’ offence was a work in progress in Week 1, falling to the Bombers 33-23 in the opener. They may look to run more after carrying the rock just four times vs. Winnipeg.

Reilly’s return may be a little less painful for Eskimos fans after watching his replacement last week. Trevor Harris had one of the best performances of his career, throwing for 447 yards and three touchdowns in a win over Montreal. Plenty of points are in the forecast in this bout of offensive juggernauts.

PICK

Writers: 67% BC

Fans: 51% BC

HAM at TOR
After two toss-ups, fans are fairly confident the Ticats will move to 2-0 after visiting the Argos in their season-opener on Saturday. But don’t expect it to be easy, as Corey Chamblin brings a revamped defence for the Boatmen while James Franklin and Derel Walker could inflict plenty of damage on offence.

Though he threw for just 169 yards in Week 1, Jeremiah Masoli didn’t turn the ball over against the vaunted Rider defence, leading the Ticats and new head coach Orlondo Steinauer to a season-opening win. The Tabbies have a chance to become the first East Division powerhouse since the Calvillo-led Alouettes in 2012