Bombers 33 @ Lions 23 Post-Game Comments 20190615

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Andrew Harris. Class all the way. One of my all time favourites.

IMO he is the second coming of Walter Payton. Incredibly durable. I think Andrew has more speed than Walter had. I know, I know. NFL. American college. Canadian college. Draft pick. And all that pedigree and credential stuff that are missing on Andrew's resume. All Andrew does is run and catch. All the way to the CFL Hall of Fame.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Dusty
Champion

I was a more than a little surprised, and equally disappointed, by what I saw from Duron Carter last night. My comment to my seatmates was that he was "sauntering" through the game. Leaving the huddle, he would walk over to his position....The ball that he deflected into an INT was a good example. It looked like he was going through the motions and was not expecting or ready for the ball.... to me, he did not give an impression of being "into" the game. I kept thinking that he was lulling the defence into complacency and there would be a play when he shifted gears and ran past the DB's to catch a long ball.... but alas...

On the other hand, why the heck are we using him to run 5 yard curls. The man has speed to burn, fights off DB's to catch contested balls and we have him running 5 yard curls and slants?

But it's only game 1....
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Matt Baker wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:00 am
Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:08 pm
Yep, some similar gremlins making an appearance. Nichols had time to build a house on most plays while Reilly often was just getting ball off milliseconds before pocket collapse.

Receivers often not open. Bombers very close on coverages. BC, lets give the Bomber receivers 4-5 yards of space.

Front 4 pressure. Not so much. Need to do better than that or it will be a lot of challenge for the rest of year.

All in all a very substandard performance. Would like to chalk it up to a new team gelling. Clearly the Bombers were much more in synch.

Hey Wally, still think Harris is past is prime? Man to think we let him go.
I will keep reminding folks of this as long as it's warranted: well before free agency during the 2015 season, Andrew Harris was offered an extension by the Lions that would have made him the HIGHEST PAID Canadian in the league. He simply said no because he wanted to go home and be with his daughter. Don't think anyone can really fault him, or the Lions, for that. Besides the point, I don't think Wally or anyone else with the club ever indicated they thought he was past his prime.
It's a good reminder but I also remember how frustrated Harris was here under the Buono regime. Is wasn't just a matter of him wanting to go home. It was also a matter of him being unhappy here with the teams style of play and the overall direction of the franchise and the relative ease with which Wally would throw players including Andrew under the bus when in suited. It was frustrating to watch a great player who used to be ours torch us for nearly 150 yards and some of that bitterness bled out in my comments. He was one of the best Lion's players to ever wear the uniform. It took ages before Wally would give him a chance at a regular spot, once there, he could have done more to tailor the offense around him but that wasn't the Wally way. Did Andrew chose to go home, you say yes and I will not disagree. But at the same time, you wonder if the outcome might have been different or at least more difficult with a little more love from Wally world.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Dusty wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:16 am
I was a more than a little surprised, and equally disappointed, by what I saw from Duron Carter last night. My comment to my seatmates was that he was "sauntering" through the game. Leaving the huddle, he would walk over to his position....The ball that he deflected into an INT was a good example. It looked like he was going through the motions and was not expecting or ready for the ball.... to me, he did not give an impression of being "into" the game.
That’s Carter. He never looks like he’s going full speed. Even with the ball in his hands, he looks like he’s loping, or he dances around hoping to find an opening, as he did last night when he fielded a punt.

I was most disappointed that he didn’t extend himself on a couple of passes, including the interception and a third-quarter deep crossing route that could have kept a drive alive and helped the Lions regain momentum.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:13 am

I was most disappointed that he didn’t extend himself on a couple of passes, including the interception and a third-quarter deep crossing route that could have kept a drive alive and helped the Lions regain momentum.
There was one play in which he grew alligator arms when he was about to get clocked by a defender.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:18 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:13 am

There was one play in which he grew alligator arms when he was about to get clocked by a defender.
That’s the one. He seemed to fear getting hit by safety Jeff Hecht but from my vantage point in the end zone he appeared to have lots of room to make the catch and keep running.
Matt Baker
Rookie

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:21 am
Matt Baker wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:00 am
Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:08 pm
Yep, some similar gremlins making an appearance. Nichols had time to build a house on most plays while Reilly often was just getting ball off milliseconds before pocket collapse.

Receivers often not open. Bombers very close on coverages. BC, lets give the Bomber receivers 4-5 yards of space.

Front 4 pressure. Not so much. Need to do better than that or it will be a lot of challenge for the rest of year.

All in all a very substandard performance. Would like to chalk it up to a new team gelling. Clearly the Bombers were much more in synch.

Hey Wally, still think Harris is past is prime? Man to think we let him go.
I will keep reminding folks of this as long as it's warranted: well before free agency during the 2015 season, Andrew Harris was offered an extension by the Lions that would have made him the HIGHEST PAID Canadian in the league. He simply said no because he wanted to go home and be with his daughter. Don't think anyone can really fault him, or the Lions, for that. Besides the point, I don't think Wally or anyone else with the club ever indicated they thought he was past his prime.
It's a good reminder but I also remember how frustrated Harris was here under the Buono regime. Is wasn't just a matter of him wanting to go home. It was also a matter of him being unhappy here with the teams style of play and the overall direction of the franchise and the relative ease with which Wally would throw players including Andrew under the bus when in suited. It was frustrating to watch a great player who used to be ours torch us for nearly 150 yards and some of that bitterness bled out in my comments. He was one of the best Lion's players to ever wear the uniform. It took ages before Wally would give him a chance at a regular spot, once there, he could have done more to tailor the offense around him but that wasn't the Wally way. Did Andrew chose to go home, you say yes and I will not disagree. But at the same time, you wonder if the outcome might have been different or at least more difficult with a little more love from Wally world.
Those are fair points for sure. It also didn't help that at that time they had Solly and Biggie making 30 percent of the cap on defence. Many factors in play on this one no doubt.
pennw
Legend

Very poor showing by the Defense , but hardly surprising . Sure looked like the Stubler defense when he was last here and that got him fired . Many seemed pleased to have him back , but what we saw last night was exactly what I remembered , a D that gives up unlimited yards to a RB with out any effort to stop it . In the early 2000,s this may have work ,the "bend but don't break " philosophy . At that time it seemed to be the thinking that no one could beat you with the run . Maybe that would work if your QB was light years better than your opponents QB and you could count on just running away with the score , but that just isn't the case anymore. Yes a team can run the ball down your throat and win( just like Stubler's last game here) . Hope maybe Claybrooks can change that philosophy .
darriver
prospect

If the BC Lions struggle with their pass rush this week, the coaching staff needs to give this kid Ogundeko from the practice squad a shot. This kid Ogundeko was a top recruit of Dabo Swinney at Clemson, A unanimous High School All American and top 100 talent nationally. When he transferred to Tennessee State he fought through constant double teams to compile over 150 tackles, 28 for loss, and a whole bunch of sacks. He cannot be stopped 1 on 1. He would have been a mid to late round NFL pick if there weren't concerns about a legal issue from 4 years ago combined with a knee injury his senior year that cost him time. Check out these articles.

http://nfldraftbible.com/scouting-repor ... see-state/

https://herosports.com/nfl-draft/highli ... colts-b6b6

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/foot ... r-ogundeko
pennw
Legend

https://www.bclions.com/2019/06/17/day- ... -edmonton/
Davon Claybrooks - first thing 'we have to stop the run' . Hope he told that to our DC , yes it is important to stop the run . We will see if that happens .
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions and Eskimos offered some interesting comments to Postmedia News on B.C.' running game heading into Friday's game in Edmonton.
Edmonton defensive coordinator Phillip Lolley:

“They’re definitely going to run it against us. We’re expecting that they’re going to load the box with people. I’ve matched (Jackson and Howell) in practice. They’ve matched me in practice. They know how I think. They know me. They know my personality. They’re going to try to get the ball out quick.

“They’re going to try to establish the run. They’re going to load the box with two backs and three backs. They’re a two-fullback team 23 per cent of the time. I look for it to be 37 per cent of the time in this one. They’re going to get the quick screen passes out and try to hit us with some draws second-and-long.”
B.C. head coach DeVone Claybrooks said there were a number of run/pass option plays where Mike Reilly elected to throw instead of keeping the ball on the ground.

“We called a lot more run plays than a lot of people suspect … but we didn’t like the read and we trust our quarterback if he pulls out of those. It’s predicated on what the defence gives us in those aspects, but we do have to be more disciplined in it.

“But we want to be a team that can run the ball and take over games that way. We have a great O-line, we have two good backs … we don’t want to put the onus all on Mike. We want balance on offence, just like any team would.”

B.C. offensive lineman Sukh Chungh wasn’t disappointed in his team’s low number of rushing attempts, he was vexed by his team’s execution on those few plays that they did run the ball.

“Even if we only run it four times, we have to make those four times work,” he said. “There’s got to be limited mistakes on the opportunities we have to run those balls. It’s on us to provide holes and cleaner pictures for our backs, and we have to provide confidence to the OC (offensive coordinator) to say, ‘Yeah, we can call it, and we can run it … Last time we ran this play, we got a good chunk on it. Let’s come back to it.’

“As an OC, when you’re negative-two on a play, I don’t think there’s much confidence (in us).”
B.C. Lions look to get running game out of neutral and into top gear — or at least into first gear
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:49 pm
https://www.bclions.com/2019/06/17/day- ... -edmonton/
Davon Claybrooks - first thing 'we have to stop the run' . Hope he told that to our DC , yes it is important to stop the run . We will see if that happens .
The second thing is actually get a run game.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.