2019 CFL Season

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Don Landry has written an interesting feature at cfl.ca on the emergence of ex-Lion Bo Lokombo as a hard-hitting safety in Montreal. Lokombo credits Mark Washington in part for helping him develop the skills to play DB, even though he was rarely used in that role in B.C.

THE LOKOMOTIVE: BO FLOURISHING AFTER POSITION CHANGE
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Good story on Lokombo and nice kudos to Mark Washington who clearly knew how to play in those roles. My criticism of him in BC was the 'hot doggish' sort of coaching style we used to see from Wally assistants - Chapdelaine, Benevides, Washington where they seemed to over act and tried to be the show on the sidelines versus the older coaches like Dave Ritchie when he was DC.

Washington is doing great - some of it situational and I suspect some of it learning and growing and knowing he has to earn his spot as a coach in a new team.

This is pretty positive stuff as players won't mention an old coach fondly if it's not true:

“I grew up learning proper technique,” said Lokombo, who also credited Mark Washington – the defensive coordinator with the Hamilton Ticats who coached Lokombo in BC – with turning him into a more well-rounded defender.

“He played a big part in developing my skills at DB,” Lokombo said of Washington’s decision to dangle the linebacker’s toes in the free safety waters, last season.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

The Callaros trade is no surprise. He simply was the only experienced warm body available. Winnipeg needed depth and I am sure they haven't forgotten how a QB injury in 2007 cost them a Grey Cup.

Moving forward, I doubt the Bombers sign Collaros. Giving up a 4th round pick for some playoff insurance is a small price to pay, but I wouldn't waste a first round pick to sign Callaros. Especially as you could probably get him for nothing once free agency begins. I'd sooner go with a healthy Nichols than take a chance with Collaros. Plus there are going to be a few other QBs (Masoli, Arbuckle, Fajardo) available who will track ahead of Callaros.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Interesting BCL that you're speculating Masoli would be on the market -and not just automatic back with the Ticats. The way this back up is playing it might make Masoli expendable but the Ticats even before this new HC have not worried about two starters around.

Toronto has to find a way to get better at QB and now OTT is going with Arndt today - as clearly neither Jennings nor Davis are helping their cause. Masoli would be a good fit there IF Ticats weren't after him.

Fajardo looks like a lock in SASK. He's risen to the challenge there and it seems like money isn't his biggest deal for now.

I can't see Collaros being able to last any hits any more - very very sad. It angers me every time I see that hit by Lawrence. Simply freaking inexcusable.

Lawrence is a very good player but his entire attitude sucks versus Josh Larsen Canadian rugby player who took a red card for what he did that endangered opponents locked in the scrum. This was classy but then again rugby players at high levels usually are - so they say.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/watch/c ... vi-AAIAeuR
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Ottawa makes every other team look good. Based on games against Ottawa, a BC vs. Toronto Grey Cup would be an epic match up.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Toppy, I think the Argos are going to go all out to sign Masoli. It would be great for the rivalry and would give the Argos a bonafide star QB to build around.
cms22
Starter

very surprised - positively - lokombo could become premier deep safety. suggests he was undersized at LB, which i wondered about. BUT, the CFL isn't a power running league so can probably play alot of positions at lowish weight.

who is the color commentator on the toronto-ottawa game? henry burris?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

cms22 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:59 pm

Yup, better than Glen Suitor in my opinion.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:48 pm
cms22 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:59 pm

Yup, better than Glen Suitor in my opinion.
Me, I can't stand listening to Burris. His voice and mostly what he has to say that I don't like so I usually turn off the sound when he is broadcasting.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions signed 4 players to future contracts

https://www.bclions.com/2019/10/09/lion ... contracts/
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I am hoping that Collaros plays so well that Winnipeg does something stupid like make him their #1QB for next season.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Great see-saw game under way in Winnipeg between the Bombers and Stamps. Calgary leads 20-19 in the third quarter after the Bombers returned a missed Calgary convert attempt for 2 points.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:36 pm
Great see-saw game under way in Winnipeg between the Bombers and Stamps. Calgary leads 20-19 in the third quarter after the Bombers returned a missed Calgary convert attempt for 2 points.
I've heard of that rule but never actually heard of it happening. How often does it happen? And it's a long way to run for two points.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Bombers win 29-28 on a last-play field goal by Justin Medlock.