2019 CFL Season

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:36 pm
BC 1988 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:22 am
https://3downnation.com/2019/09/27/eski ... ured-list/
Trevor Harris has been placed on the 6 game injured list. Too bad BC frittered away the games they should have won this season (at least 3 of them). EDM is in bad shape now.
BC's playoff chances just went from being a pipe dream to being a highly unlikely possibility. Things are looking up!
It's still sad that with Mike Reilly being the league's highest paid player and the only QB to start all of his team's games, B.C. could be mathematically eliminated by Saturday night if Edmonton beats Ottawa and the Lions lose to Montreal.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

maxlion wrote:
BC 1988 wrote:
Trevor Harris has been placed on the 6 game injured list. Too bad BC frittered away the games they should have won this season (at least 3 of them). EDM is in bad shape now.
BC's playoff chances just went from being a pipe dream to being a highly unlikely possibility. Things are looking up!
^^^Undisputed best post of the day. It actually made me LOL.
jwbavalon
Rookie

DanoT wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:54 pm
maxlion wrote:
BC 1988 wrote:
^^^Undisputed best post of the day. It actually made me LOL.
No truer words spoken by a Lions fan.
maxlion
Legend

Bombers won't go far with Streveler at QB. Too one dimensional. I'd go after McLeod Bethel-Thompson. He has a similar skill set as Nichols (accurate passer, good game manager) and would allow them to continue to present 2 different offensive options.
The_Pauser
Legend

Wow Jennings is awful
Roar you Lions roar!
jwbavalon
Rookie

Edmonton 21 Ottawa 14
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

I see that Edmonton has just signed Danny Vandervoort -- our former first round (3rd over-all) draft pick. I'm still puzzled reflecting on the fact that in his two seasons with us he caught but one pass, and doubt that he was the target on many more than that. I realize the Canadian draft is a gamble, and some highly touted u-sport players don't pan out in professional ball, but hopefully his new team will give him legitimate opportunities to show his stuff (assuming he has something to show, he's only 25 yrs old). We may be meeting him in a couple games' time, toward mid-October. Will be interesting to see if he makes the game day depth chart. I'd be interested to see if there's something there that we missed out on.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hamilton leading Edmonton 31-12 with 7 minutes left. Looks like the Lions still have life til tomorrow.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Jim Popp fired as General Manager of the Argos. Replaced by long time Argo Pinball Clemons

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/10/08/report-ar ... pp-duties/
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:41 pm
Jim Popp fired as General Manager of the Argos. Replaced by long time Argo Pinball Clemons

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/10/08/report-ar ... pp-duties/
In a recent Toronto game down on the sideline with Popp close by was Pinball and former QB Damon Allen. How the latter isn't in coaching QBs is beyond belief. He knows how to play and he knows how to stay healthy.

Firing the GM for the coaching record is typical of a major corporate response. Can't see how the HC keeps his job after last game - other than if they don't want to pay him out and they don't have a logical internal candidate.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:46 pm

Firing the GM for the coaching record is typical of a major corporate response. Can't see how the HC keeps his job after last game - other than if they don't want to pay him out and they don't have a logical internal candidate.
Popp getting fired is a separate issue from what may or should happen to Chamblin. Popp needed to go. He has done nothing for a long time and it certainly seems that his resume was greatly embellished thanks to the years he had Calvillo and Trestman to make him look good. The only reason he even had a job in Toronto is because the Argos were hoping that a Popp-Trestman reunion (with Ricky Ray at QB) would turn a bad team into the Als 2.0. It sort of worked, with the Argos winning a Grey Cup, but remember that was a 9-9 team. Not exactly a dynasty in the making.

Popp once again exposed his greatest weakness, that he can't find a QB of the future. In desperation he trades for Callaros who was not even healthy enough to play and probably won't even dress for the Argos this year. The Riders should send him a thank you card for taking Callaros salary off their payroll plus giving them a draft pick in 2020. That was probably a big reason for the timing of Pinball being named GM, to make sure Trestman didn't make another stupid trade before the deadline.

Now for Chamblin, that's a tougher call. Up until the last game I was impressed by the energy the Argos were showing. Only two wins and no clear cut #1 QB to lead them, and yet they were still showing effort and enthusiasm. In fact, at mid season they looked much more engaged that our own BC Lions. That had to be a reflection on their head coach. Plus Chamblin at least has a resume with a bit of success on it. One Grey Cup as a HC and another as DC is nothing to sneeze at. I think Chamblin actually deserves to keep his job. He could be a good compliment to what Pinball will bring in terms of enthusiasm and pride. Pinball can feel comfortable in giving Chamblin another year knowing that if 2020 goes south he can always take over the HC role himself.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Some good food for thought regarding the Argos HC situation from 3rd Down Nation.

https://3downnation.com/2019/10/09/how- ... e-bombers/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Belize City Lion wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:19 am
Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:46 pm

Popp getting fired is a separate issue from what may or should happen to Chamblin. Popp needed to go. He has done nothing for a long time and it certainly seems that his resume was greatly embellished thanks to the years he had Calvillo and Trestman to make him look good. The only reason he even had a job in Toronto is because the Argos were hoping that a Popp-Trestman reunion (with Ricky Ray at QB) would turn a bad team into the Als 2.0. It sort of worked, with the Argos winning a Grey Cup, but remember that was a 9-9 team. Not exactly a dynasty in the making.

Popp once again exposed his greatest weakness, that he can't find a QB of the future. In desperation he trades for Callaros who was not even healthy enough to play and probably won't even dress for the Argos this year. The Riders should send him a thank you card for taking Callaros salary off their payroll plus giving them a draft pick in 2020. That was probably a big reason for the timing of Pinball being named GM, to make sure Trestman didn't make another stupid trade before the deadline.

Now for Chamblin, that's a tougher call. Up until the last game I was impressed by the energy the Argos were showing. Only two wins and no clear cut #1 QB to lead them, and yet they were still showing effort and enthusiasm. In fact, at mid season they looked much more engaged that our own BC Lions. That had to be a reflection on their head coach. Plus Chamblin at least has a resume with a bit of success on it. One Grey Cup as a HC and another as DC is nothing to sneeze at. I think Chamblin actually deserves to keep his job. He could be a good compliment to what Pinball will bring in terms of enthusiasm and pride. Pinball can feel comfortable in giving Chamblin another year knowing that if 2020 goes south he can always take over the HC role himself.
I agree with this assessment but there is an overriding factor in the decision to change only the GM: the coaching cap. The Argos reportedly were paying more than $1 million a year to the GM and head coach combined. There just wasn't room to fire both of them and pay their replacements. I expect Chamblin will get another year to turn things around. He just needs a QB to build around.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Well BC Fan cleared that up nicely!!!

It's far easier to fire a GM now than the HC.

The 3Down article is interesting about O'Shea unsigned still for next year and not wanting to extend past 2019 when clearly it is suggested that would have been a slam dunk.

O'Shea took some time to turn around the Bombers and possibly Paul LaPolice is deserving of another HC shot - assuming he's learned not to do too much and as the story goes - Buck Pierce is a good lock for OC there as both Buck and Lapo are WPG permanent residents - not looking to head out of town any time soon.

Toronto is a key franchise and it'd be nice to see them back respectable again just as it is nice to see Montreal doing well. O'Shea would be an ideal candidate as he's been in a bad situation and knows how to do it and Pinball - his old buddy - could buy him some time. But it wasn't all pretty when Mike O'Shea took over with the Bombers - but his learning could hasten the turn for the Argos.

The ONE comment that stands out on 3Down about O'Shea having "unfinished business" as his overall record is 54-51 - and staying can mean he can build on it. Sad that his starter is down as this season looks lost now for a GC run.

Collaros to the Bombers is a bit of a shock and the 3rd rounder turning to 1st round if Collaros signs next year is a risky thing for WPG. No risk to Toronto as they cut salary and Zach might go down on the next hard hit. Sad for Collaros but honestly I can't see him surviving a hit and we know some of these players will go for him.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
maxlion
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:52 am

I agree with this assessment but there is an overriding factor in the decision to change only the GM: the coaching cap. The Argos reportedly were paying more than $1 million a year to the GM and head coach combined. There just wasn't room to fire both of them and pay their replacements. I expect Chamblin will get another year to turn things around. He just needs a QB to build around.
It's been reported that Popp's contract was expiring at the end of this year. Is so, then they could use their cap mulligan on Chamblin.

Whether Chamblin deserves another chance is another issue. I don't know, but sense he might not be Pinball's guy. Pinball and O'Shea go way back. I see O'Shea winding up in Toronto.