2019 training camp

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have released their 2019 training camp schedule and it's a lot more fan-friendly than last year's schedule (at least for those of us who prefer watching football to golfing), with seven two-a-days. Last year the Lions ran one double practice daily from about 8 a.m. to noon, with nothing scheduled in the afternoon and evenings except during FanFest. This year FanFest is Saturday, June 1, which is a week after the first preseason game. FanFest will be followed by the always-popular fireworks show. All practices are at Hillside Stadium in Kamloops.

Assuming there are no labour disruptions, training camp begins with a three-day rookie camp on May 15, followed by the start of regular camp on Sunday, May 19, which falls on the long weekend. Camp breaks on June 6.

Here's the full schedule, which is always subject to last-minute changes:

https://www.bclions.com/training-camp/
Bosco
Team Captain

Thanks for posting, B.C. Fan.

Hopefully, this schedule won't have to be altered :cr:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Agreed BCF. Much more fan friendly than last year. I tentatively booked to arrive on the Thursday night prior to FanFest and leave after Sunday's session. Barring session cancellations which have happened in the past that gives me 4 sessions plus FanFest which I can take or leave mostly because I like the casualness of watching the regular sessions without the big crowd. FanFest though is a fantastic event for kids and families. Highly recommended for any Lionbacker who hasn't taken it in with their kids or grandkids.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

Hope those that get to attend will share their thoughts and impressions on how the revamped coaching staff work with the players. I will be most interested in hearing how the Special Teams look, in particular how the ST coach(es) appear to handle their duties.
The STs really seemed to respond to Reinbold’s guidance last year but Altilio is pretty green.

Heck, Rich Stubler probably has more experience than the rest of the coaching staff combined.

And of course, I hope Jarious isn’t seen referring to anything entitled “Offensive Playbook, 2018”. BTW did he ever get his laptop back?
David
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:16 pm
And of course, I hope Jarious isn’t seen referring to anything entitled “Offensive Playbook, 2018”. BTW did he ever get his laptop back?
No, but I hear that have one hell of a good pick-up team at Oppenheimer Park on the Downtown Eastside. :wink:

(seriously though, last I heard it had still not been recovered).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

David wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:24 pm
CardiacKid wrote:
No, but I hear that have one hell of a good pick-up team at Oppenheimer Park on the Downtown Eastside. :wink:

That might not be such a terrible thing.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
Hope those that get to attend will share their thoughts and impressions on how the revamped coaching staff work with the players. I will be most interested in hearing how the Special Teams look, in particular how the ST coach(es) appear to handle their duties.
The STs really seemed to respond to Reinbold’s guidance last year but Altilio is pretty green.

Heck, Rich Stubler probably has more experience than the rest of the coaching staff combined.

Yes, I'm most curious to see how camp is structured and practices are run under Claybrooks and his young staff. Agreed about Stubler having more experience than the other coaches combined. Stubler can be fun to watch at practice. I look forward to watching Ryan Phillips and Nik Lewis in their first fulltime coaching roles. They can be colourful characters too.

The first day of camp is non-contact (last year the first two days were just boring walk-throughs) but a lot can be gleaned from the coaches and the personnel groupings. In the Wally Buono era, you could guarantee that almost all the players who took first-team reps on the opening day of camp would take first-team reps in the opening weeks of the regular season. The offseason was used for making personnel decisions. Training camp, preseason and the opening month of the regular season were used for installing the playbook and having players become comfortable in their positions and personnel groupings. I don't know what to expect with Claybrooks and his staff. I always try to watch who is taking first and second team reps each but that becomes even more important this year. I hope to spend more time than usual at camp this year.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Unless Ed is hoping O'Connor falls to #26 one thing that is noticeably absent from the roster is a 4th QB. I'd think they will for sure have 4 in camp, possibly 5, but 4 for sure. So far it's just Reilly, Lloyd and Apodaca.
CardiacKid
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:19 pm
Unless Ed is hoping O'Connor falls to #26 one thing that is noticeably absent from the roster is a 4th QB. I'd think they will for sure have 4 in camp, possibly 5, but 4 for sure. So far it's just Reilly, Lloyd and Apodaca.
Lloyd and Apodaca have 2 years between them of residing on a CFL roster and a grand total of 0 yards in passing yardage.

I hope Reilly loses some weight before camp so he stays fleet of foot....
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:24 pm
CardiacKid wrote:

you might be careful about such insinuations in todays PC world (joke or not). Could offend a lot of people.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Actually Hambone, we signed a QB last month named Cole Sears from a Div II school called University of Arkansas at Monticello. I am not sure why he is not listed on the club's roster.

https://www.kait8.com/2019/04/05/hoxie- ... -bc-lions/

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:10 pm
Hambone wrote:
Actually Hambone, we signed a QB last month named Cole Sears from a Div II school called University of Arkansas at Monticello. I am not sure why he is not listed on the club's roster.

https://www.kait8.com/2019/04/05/hoxie- ... -bc-lions/

Thanks. I hadn't heard that. He's not on the roster nor does he show up in the CFL.ca transactions. Perhaps for some reason contract hasn't or won't be registered? I see that while this is a local Arkansas radio station reporting it embedded in the article is a Roar Report tweet saying "not official but looks like he has been signed...…….".
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Cole Sears stats by a fan who says this:

"Cole Sears:The best QB Prospect you've never heard of"

Didn't see any actual footage here.

But here is some footage way back when he signed in 2015 for college:

For every QB out there who makes it from a small school or smallish ones there's probably 200 who never make it in the pros either as they can't transition to a pro game and until they see these guys no one knows.

...and then there's how Buck Pierce in BC got his chance and his first pre-season was to overcome a loss to the Riders at their place and W. That was 2005 IIRC when Jarius started and basically lost that season to the thumb injury suffered on BC's first offensive play of the game and their season. Since Buck, we've not see the likes of a 4th QB get the kind of chances he got to play here in BC as the QB factory kind of got moth balled situationally it seems.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Can't edit this for some insane reason but meant to say, they can't transition to the pro game or they simply never get a decent shot to develop with limited reps.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Reggiemac
Rookie

I think we are going to see a competitive camp in a few positions. A lot of Canadian players are going to start on both sides of the ball. LB's and DL have some promising candidates. Eatching youtube videos also on two promising DE's Matt Boesen has been a success story starting in high school and ending up in big school football factory in competitive conference. And Ricarlo Ball was a star in indoor football league. They would make a great pair of bookends if and a big If they live up to their press clippings. On the Offense Receivers are looking like a talented group.Carter, Burnham, Durant and Shaq Johnsonwith newcomer Wilson sharing the passing attack looks like an all star group. It looks like our DB's will most likelybe an experienced and talented group with a possibility of a newcoming rookie might challenge for a position. The vets better come to camp in shape. I Notice that we drafted a center from the Calgary football factory coached by Steve Buratto dont be surprised if he makes the roster.