2019 training camp

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Reggiemac
Rookie

Sorry about the typo eatching youtube should be watching youtube. For some reason I couldnt edit it onmy ipad. I notice so meone else complained about the editing function..
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Reggiemac wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:05 am
I Notice that we drafted a center from the Calgary football factory coached by Steve Buratto dont be surprised if he makes the roster.
Harke who is a Sherwood Park kid was drafted out of the U of A Golden Bears, not U of Calgary Dinos. You do have me wondering though what Buratto is up to these days. He's not listed on the coaching staff of either U of Alberta or U of Calgary. There is a Dinos link that shows him but he isn't listed on their 2018 list of coaches. He was out at UBC from 2015-17 having followed Blake Nill out from U of Calgary to UBC. Seems like he had been in Calgary, came to UBC then disappeared after his stint out at Point Grey. He's 76 now.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have officially added QB Cole Sears to the roster in time for the opening of minicamp on Wednesday.

LIONS ADD QB COLE SEARS TO MINI-CAMP ROSTER

I'm planning to arrive in Kamloops Saturday and be in the stands for the first four days of camp. I'll probably return at least for FanFest weekend from May 31 to June 2 but may add extra dates.

With negotiations on a new CBA set to conclude in Toronto, the CFLPA advised all players today to prepare to report to camp on schedule unless otherwise notified, so it looks promising.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:54 am
With negotiations on a new CBA set to conclude in Toronto, the CFLPA advised all players today to prepare to report to camp on schedule unless otherwise notified, so it looks promising.
I've figured all along that even if they don't have agreement before the current deal expires they would continue to negotiate into training camp if they feel they are getting down to the short strokes.
I don't think strike or lockout would be called unless talks broke off.
green road kill
Rookie

This is great news I was really starting to wunder how far this was going to go. Now the summer can go back to what it's ment to be .
Fish in and FootBall . WALLEYE BE AFRAID BE VERY AFRAID.

Like my dear sweet wife says , You just go lay down after a hard days fishing you deserve to watch the game . Don't worry about the yard work I 'll do it

YA Like that would ever happen
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Photos from the first day of minicamp, courtesy of NowMedia:

https://www.kamloopsbcnow.com/watercool ... ELVTVFVkwE

I'm looking forward to soaking in these views when main camp opens on Sunday. I hope the weather in Kamloops is decent.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

With the increased emphasis on player safety in recent years, it is becoming more and more rare to see players lace up the pads and hit each other. Training camp was one of the few times fans could see hitting in practice. Last year teams were allowed 10 padded practices in training camp, which generally meant one padded practice and one non-contact practice each day. According to TSN's Dave Naylor, that is being cut in half this year under the new CBA, with only five padded practices allowed in camp. Next year the limit drops to three. With FanFest likely to be one of the five padded practices this year, that means only four of the remaining 22 practices in Kamloops will be in pads.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I read that too BCF re: padded sessions. I understand the player safety angle but it's getting so that unless a fan lives in the community hosting camp it's just a waste of time and money to attend. Padded sessions at least have some feeling of real football. Non-contact sessions with helmets only are frankly boring. How does an armchair QB assess guys in the trenches when 90% of camp contact is with a blocking sled or tackling dummy? There's probably a new Sonnet commercial in the making comparing the old days with today except back in the day it was two-a-days very day in full gear. Norm Fieldgate must be shaking his head thinking he was born 60 years too early.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

BTW if anybody at Kamloops sees an out of shape Lions fan with grey hair wearing a Jovan Olafioye home jersey circa 2016 that will be Hambone. I'll be trying to attend Monday morning's session and maybe Sunday afternoon's. I'll be returning for the final weekend May 31 to June 2.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:43 pm
I read that too BCF re: padded sessions. I understand the player safety angle but it's getting so that unless a fan lives in the community hosting camp it's just a waste of time and money to attend. Padded sessions at least have some feeling of real football. Non-contact sessions with helmets only are frankly boring. How does an armchair QB assess guys in the trenches when 90% of camp contact is with a blocking sled or tackling dummy? There's probably a new Sonnet commercial in the making comparing the old days with today except back in the day it was two-a-days very day in full gear. Norm Fieldgate must be shaking his head thinking he was born 60 years too early.
My 5th wheel trailer/ski chalet is set up at Heffley Lake, about a half hour from Kamloops yet I have stopped going to TC because it is too boring watching calisthenics and walk thrus.
Kamloops Lion
All Star

Hervey on the youth movement:
https://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/sports ... 1.23825065

And Coach Side Hat on the adjustment thus far as head coach:
https://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/sports ... 1.23825080
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Kamloops Lion wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:38 am

"Coach Side Hat". :thup: I love it. Fans at the games should wear their ballcaps sideways. Make Side Hat a Thing.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:27 pm
Hambone wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:43 pm
My 5th wheel trailer/ski chalet is set up at Heffley Lake, about a half hour from Kamloops yet I have stopped going to TC because it is too boring watching calisthenics and walk thrus.
Hambone*** used to be the guy on the sideline yelling

"Let's see some snot coming out of those noses!!!"

(***Just kidding as I doubt he'd ever be that person)

"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
CardiacKid
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:30 am
Kamloops Lion wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:38 am

"Coach Side Hat". :thup: I love it. Fans at the games should wear their ballcaps sideways. Make Side Hat a Thing.
I have tried it....and having the brim tilted to the side screwed with my depth perception. My right eye wanted to focus on the brim while my left eye wanted to focus on the distance. Resulting in....walking with a severe tilt.