New CBA ratified by both sides

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:56 pm
The CFLPA hired former B.C Federation labour leader Ken Georghitti (sp) as their chief negotiator so a strike vote is not unexpected.
Just part of the normal union CBA negotiation process. Happening maybe a bit earlier than I expected but nonetheless something I expected unless negotiations were progressing smoothly. One should expect the vote to go well over 90% YES. It has to for the CFLPA to have any leverage. They don't need to use it right away but it's definitely a good thing to have in their back pocket.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

This has become standard practice in labour negotiations. Workers give their bargaining committee a mandate to break off negotiations at any time. It’s intended to show strength but it can backfire if the strike vote isn’t at least 80% positive. It can make for some tense hours at the bargaining table as the contract deadline approaches but that’s when deals are made.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:51 pm
This has become standard practice in labour negotiations. Workers give their bargaining committee a mandate to break off negotiations at any time. It’s intended to show strength but it can backfire if the strike vote isn’t at least 80% positive. It can make for some tense hours at the bargaining table as the contract deadline approaches but that’s when deals are made.
This is a typical labour union situation where they get the strike vote to hold in their back pockets with a twist.

What is different here and that will factor in are things like this:

1. all players aren't equal in terms of their years in the CFL - some might not care the same way nor see the longer range views of the Solomon Eliminians who are not only about right now - but for the future including health of players.

2. A Biggy - and I don't mean Adam Bighill - my gym pal... the lower paid players are likely busting at the bit to get a pay cheque if they haven't been working off season for cash. How likely they are to support a walk out is not known.

3. The lower paid players - of which there are the bulk might think they won't benefit that much if there is more pie to go around so here it's like a traditional union worker who calculates weeks of lost work versus what they'd get in a future contract.

4. Not all teams are equal now in their ability to pay as this year might not be the BEST year to test the owners.

5. I think the teams could bring in scabs here. This is speculation on my part.

Bottom line: I"m on the players side as the CFL hasn't shown me it's willing to share the pie fairly versus bust the union a la Mark Cohen style last time. He of non-union McDonalds fame.
This Commissioner is not much better and his vision of CFL overseas is like looking at a famous tapestry from the reverse side. You know it's supposed to be good but there's no clarity that you can envision and embrace.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Players have given their bargaining committee a solid mandate, voting 97.3% to strike if necessary. The good news is that bargaining is set to resume Monday and Tuesday in Toronto. Here's an email sent to players, per 3downnation:
The results of Wednesday’s poll are in and we have heard you loud and clear.

Thank you for voting and thank you for your support.

97.3% of players voted ‘yes’ on Wednesday. That means that health, safety, rehabilitation and recognition by the CFL of your overall contributions – through a true partnership – remain paramount.

We are focused on working as hard as we can to get an agreement done. That commitment has not changed. The results of this vote empowers our bargaining committee and player representatives to use this mandate in our on-going pursuit of a fair collective agreement.

We would like to share some other important facts:

Almost every CFL player participated in our strike vote.

One of the goals of this vote was to satisfy various provincial labour codes as we continue these collective negotiations. This helps position our bargaining team well for a variety of possible scenarios.

The CFL has returned to bargaining, following their unilateral decision to delay talks, and we will continue negotiations on April 29 and 30 in Toronto.

Today, it is clearer than ever that we are unified as an Association because you deserve respect for the sacrifices you make for the game and for the CFL.
Over 97 per cent of CFLPA union members vote to strike
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Both sides seem optimistic after the latest two days of bargaining. More bargaining sessions are scheduled for May 6, 7 and 8 and May 12, 13, 14 and, if necessary, 15. The current CBA expires May 18.

With CFL and players back to the bargaining table, there is reason for optimism again
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The CFL has to show this fan that they recognize that the players are the core of the product and build a better foundation for a strategic partnership with the CFLPA for the good of the game.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

This video suggests that players are being told by the PA not to make travel arrangements until a new CBA is done!

But the rookies have to come.

Strategy will only work if the big guns stay out - Reilly, Mitchell and Trevor Harris - this could possibly work. But as Drew says "risky" but the only thing the players can do.

https://3downnation.com/category/news/page/2/

Fans ideally should support the players. Look at the Whitecaps fans walking out mid-game to expose how badly the club handled female player allegations. It's got the 'Caps more coverage than their games. Even the US owner had to come to town to help put out the fire.

Fans might realize that walk outs can make a difference.
Reggiemac
Rookie

We need to stick behind the players and support their objectives of player injury compensation contract certainty and a share of the pie. Amazing that these are still items in this day and age. The owners have been living in the dark age and treating the players like this is no longer acceptable
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Reggiemac wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:27 pm
We need to stick behind the players and support their objectives of player injury compensation contract certainty and a share of the pie. Amazing that these are still items in this day and age. The owners have been living in the dark age and treating the players like this is no longer acceptable
I think there's a lot of common ground between the players and owners in wanting a fair agreement with long-term health benefits. It all comes down to money, and perhaps the cooperation of provincial workers compensation agencies.

I hope the players don't think owners are raking in big profits at their expense because that's certainly not the case, especially with attendance and TV viewership stagnant or declining. I'm probably more on the owners side in not wanting to give away too much and undermine the viability of the league.

I can see owners agreeing to an increase in the minimum salary in return for a a break on the ratio, which would eliminate some of the pay disparity between nationals and internationals, but the overall pie is probably no bigger than it was in 2014.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Eskimos' financial statements, released today at their annual meeting, provide good insight into the finances of one of the league's most profitable franchises. Net operating income for 2018 was $1.54 million compared to $592,000 in 2017. With Grey Cup and other revenue and expenses included, the net surplus was $2.8 million.

Total football operations expenses were $12.4 million, including $8.5 million for players and coaches.

https://files.constantcontact.com/430fd ... 06bfbb.pdf
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The CFLPA has made another brilliant move in establishing a strategic alliance with the Steelworkers!

This both strengthens the PA's hand it helps to build the game better than Ambrosie's forays globally - get it done at home first dude.

https://cflpa.com/media-release-5-7-19/
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Wow.......Isn't this interesting???!!!
CFL players to go on strike in two separate waves if no deal is reached: union
I don't want to copy from 3 Down Nation as they too need clicks... but this is getting very interesting.

https://3downnation.com/2019/05/09/cfl- ... hed-union/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:04 am
Wow.......Isn't this interesting???!!!
CFL players to go on strike in two separate waves if no deal is reached: union
I don't want to copy from 3 Down Nation as they too need clicks... but this is getting very interesting.

https://3downnation.com/2019/05/09/cfl- ... hed-union/
This is just an acknowledgment of Randy Ambrosie's reminder that players in Ontario and Alberta won't be in a legal strike position on May 18 due to provincial labour laws.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

BC Fan - while it's still just a reminder seeing it in headlines stands in stark contrast to the last time the players negotiated where Mark Cohen of McDonalds fame and fortune publicly achieved a total smash down of CFLPA - something I didn't like but I guess that's what they paid him for.

No Commissioner these days will stand up to the bosses but these players should keep building labour and other support for their cause as that can help them and grow this league.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:15 pm
The Eskimos' financial statements, released today at their annual meeting, provide good insight into the finances of one of the league's most profitable franchises. Net operating income for 2018 was $1.54 million compared to $592,000 in 2017. With Grey Cup and other revenue and expenses included, the net surplus was $2.8 million.

Total football operations expenses were $12.4 million, including $8.5 million for players and coaches.

https://files.constantcontact.com/430fd ... 06bfbb.pdf
Both sides need to operate with the big picture in mind. The league must survive. I think things are about where they should be.

I never thought it was unfair that Nationals are higher on the pay scale. Not so sure anymore. But this CFL fan will lose interest if Nationals go to the wayside, as time moves on. I do not want it to feel to like a "rent an American" league. A near 50-50 ratio between Nationals and Internationals on the squads is OK with me.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.