New CBA ratified by both sides

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

CFLPA informs CFL players will not report to training camp without new CBA in place.

The CFL bosses are really playing with fire. They are focusing way too much energy on promoting the game in Europe and Mexico and messing their players around by delaying negotiations and other tactics. If there is a strike it could seriously affect the league. Other than on the Prairies, in the big cities they will not care and those fans who do will get turned off. The NHL can recover from a strike, the CFL may not.
Last edited by JohnnyMusso on Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I always try to ignore the rhetoric that comes out during labour negotiations. That’s especially true this time because the CFLPA has experienced former labour leaders Ken Georgetti and Brian Ramsay on its bargaining team. Deals get done when there’s a deadline. From what I’ve read, the contract talks that have taken place were constructive and respectful. I see no major stumbling blocks. It will likely just come down to money, and both sides will want to exert maximum leverage at the deadline to get the best possible deal.

That being said, I plan to be in Kamloops for the start of camp but I won’t book a hotel room until a deal is reached.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:20 pm
I always try to ignore the rhetoric that comes out during labour negotiations. That’s especially true this time because the CFLPA has experienced former labour leaders Ken Georgetti and Brian Ramsay on its bargaining team. Deals get done when there’s a deadline. From what I’ve read, the contract talks that have taken place were constructive and respectful. I see no major stumbling blocks. It will likely just come down to money, and both sides will want to exert maximum leverage at the deadline to get the best possible deal.

That being said, I plan to be in Kamloops for the start of camp but I won’t book a hotel room until a deal is reached.
I think your assessment is correct but still I am concerned. There just seems to be so much stupidity, incompetence, and large egos among our leaders these days ( a certain PM and a President come to mind, not to mention some Premiers) and it might also be true of CFL owners and CFLPA union reps. So I am nervous.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

And training camp just a month away and talks were delayed 2 weeks by the league. Now a threat comes out today. If teams lose money to a strike it could seriously affect them.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:05 pm
And training camp just a month away and talks were delayed 2 weeks by the league. Now a threat comes out today. If teams lose money to a strike it could seriously affect them.
I fully agree with the CFL all over the map these days with a plan that only Ambrosie seems to grasp -unless it's part of the response to any player strike with scabs.

It's disappointing that the CFL in recent years has shown absolutely zero partnership with the players other than on cultural issues - but not on the economic pie and how to grow it and share it.

Mark Cohen was bad for the CFLPA and so is Ambrosie and he has no excuse - as he was a player once.

FANS should SUPPORT THE CFLPA where possible as it's these guys who put their bodies and brains on the line for short careers.

I've been seeing both Sol E and Adam Bighill in my gym when the latter's in town and when I see their work ethic up close (knowing from twitter, instagram what else they do - it's disheartening to know the the CFL isn't in it for them all.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:05 pm
I fully agree with the CFL all over the map comments these days with a plan that only Ambrosie seems to grasp -unless it's part of the response to any player strike with scabs.

It's very hard to get players who've not been working since last November to go on strike but if they said no agreement, no play, this would be major.

Then you'd see the foreign players signed quickly.

It's disappointing that the CFL in recent years has shown absolutely zero partnership with the players other than on cultural issues - but not on the economic pie and how to grow it and share it.

Mark Cohen was bad for the CFLPA and so is Ambrosie and he has no excuse - as he was a player once.

FANS should SUPPORT THE CFLPA where possible as it's these guys who put their bodies and brains on the line for short careers.

I've been seeing both Sol E and Adam Bighill in my gym when the latter's in town and when I see their work ethic up close (knowing from twitter, instagram what else they do - it's disheartening to know the the CFL isn't in it for them all.
David
Team Captain

I'll worry when the deadline passes and they're at a deadlock. Until then, these threats/scare tactics and heated rhetoric are typical during the bargaining process. Most sports leagues get deals finalized at the 11th hour and I don't think the CFL will be any different.

Most deals get done when the heat gets turned up all the way (deadline) and someone has to blink. Negotiating 101.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:32 pm
I'll worry when the deadline passes and they're at a deadlock. Until then, these threats/scare tactics and heated rhetoric are typical during the bargaining process. Most sports leagues get deals finalized at the 11th hour and I don't think the CFL will be any different.

Most deals get done when the heat gets turned up all the way (deadline) and someone has to blink. Negotiating 101.

I like to think that way too David. Last time both sides agreed to continue negotiations after the old CBA had expired. It wasn't until a week and a bit into training camp that they came to a tentative agreement. Back then there was about a 2 week buffer between CBA Expiry and start of training camp. This time around that buffer is less than 24 hours. The litmus test will likely fall on the eve of training camp. If they have continued to negotiate up until then and agree to continue that would indicate they are close, close enough to be confident things will get done before the season begins. If either side walks away from the table then or prior to that then all bets are off. Who knows what might happen then.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Drew Edwards reports that Bo Levi Mitchell won't report to Training Camp if no CBA is done.

It will take the big guys to take action to get a deal. The CFL are simply wanting to run the clock out.

Ambrosie is unfocused it seems on doing what it takes to make the product better here with fans. Shafting the players like Cohon of McDonalds fame is not growing the pie and giving everyone a fair share.
David
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:14 am
Drew Edwards reports that Bo Levi Mitchell won't report to Training Camp if no CBA is done.

It will take the big guys to take action to get a deal. The CFL are simply wanting to run the clock out.
Personally, I don't mind if the season doesn't start on time. Training camps and the regular season are starting too darn early under Ambrosie!

Okay, I am half-joking. The optics would be terrible and a strike would be bad for business of course. But it's like watching the Battle of Alberta on Labour Day....you know the outcome is going to produce something you can live with. :wink:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
JohnnyMusso
Champion

B.C. Lions quarterback Mike Reilly says he won’t be showing up at training camp if no CBA is done.

I do not remember ever a year where this has happened. Ambroise and company better get their act together. The CFL cannot survive a strike like the NHL can. The CFL is small potatoes compared to the money making big leagues. It could really damage the league and better not be thinking of bringing in Mexican and Europeans players as scab players.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:53 pm
B.C. Lions quarterback Mike Reilly says he won’t be showing up at training camp if no CBA is done.

I do not remember ever a year where this has happened. Ambroise and company better get their act together. The CFL cannot survive a strike like the NHL can. The CFL is small potatoes compared to the money making big leagues. It could really damage the league and better not be thinking of bringing in Mexican and Europeans players as scab players.
As David said, this is all straight from the Negotiating 101 textbook. The CFLPA has two vereran labour leaders directing its negotiations. They’re sending the union solidarity message out through some of their most high-profile members but it’s a standard negotiating tactic. It doesn’t mean anything unless May 18 arrives without a contract agreement in place. There’s no urgency for either side to make concessions this far in advance.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:33 am
Toppy Vann wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:14 am

Personally, I don't mind if the season doesn't start on time. Training camps and the regular season are starting too darn early under Ambrosie!

Okay, I am half-joking. The optics would be terrible and a strike would be bad for business of course. But it's like watching the Battle of Alberta on Labour Day....you know the outcome is going to produce something you can live with. :wink:

Well, if they do strike, maybe we can watch the Battle of Alberta on Thanksgiving day.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I would be worried now. Looks like Players Association is very serious. This could get ugly. Do not remember this happening, but may have happened in the 70's. Just do not remember.

On Wednesday April 24, 2019, the Canadian Football League Players’ Association (“CFLPA”) will be conducting a strike vote among members (as defined below). Members will be asked to vote on the following question:

YES – I authorize the CFLPA Bargaining Committee to call a strike if necessary.

NO – I do not authorize the CFLPA Bargaining Committee to call a strike if necessary.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The CFLPA hired former B.C Federation labour leader Ken Georghitti (sp) as their chief negotiator so a strike vote is not unexpected.