Now Lulay retired - who is your favourite BC Lions Quarterback ever?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who would be your favourite retired BC Lions Quarterback ever?

Travis Lulay (2009-18, 2011 MOP and GC MVP)
42%
Casey Printers (2003-05, 2009-10, 2004 MOP)
No votes
Jarius Jackson (2005-11, 2 GC as backup)
No votes
Dave Dickenson (2003-07, 2006 GC)
10%
Damon Allen (1996-02, 2000 GC)
No votes
Danny McManus (1993-95, 1994 GC)
No votes
Doug Flutie (1990-91, 1991 MOP)
6%
Matt Dunigan (1988-89)
3%
Roy Dewalt (1980-87, 1985 GC)
26%
Joe Kapp (1961-66, 1964 GC)
13%

Total votes: 31
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Several years ago on this board, we would have some various threads comparing all the various BC Lions players, coaches, general managers, games, seasons, etc. In light of the fact Travis Lulay retiring, I think it's time to create another such thread for the first time in a long while. To try to make this comparison as fair as possible using apples-to-apples, let's compare all the retired BC Lions quarterbacks and tell me who is your favourite Lions quarterback ever.

I've added a poll. Since the poll only allows up to 10 choices, I've chosen the 10 former BC Lions quarterbacks who were good and/or popular to at least make it in the top 10 favourite Lions QB's ever.

Repeating some of the things that I stated in the other thread about the retirement of Travis Lulay, I already stated that ranked #1 terms of total seasons and total games played as a Lion QB:

Total Number of Seasons as a BC Lions Quarterback
1) Travis Lulay, 10 seasons (2009 - 2018) :thup: :good: :beauty: :cool:
2) Roy Dewalt, 8 seasons (1980 - 1987)
3) Damon Allen (1996 - 2002), Joe Paopao (1978 - 1983, 1990), Jarius Jackson (2005 - 2011) - tied 7 seasons each
6) Joe Kapp (1961 - 1966), Buck Pierce (2005-2009, 2013) - tied 6 seasons each
8) Dave Dickenson (2003 - 2007), Don Moorhead (1971-1975), Casey Printers (2003-05, 2009-10) - tied 5 seasons each

Total Number of Games as a BC Lions Quarterback
1) Travis Lulay, 140 games
2) Roy Dewalt, 125 games
3) Damon Allen, 120 games
4) Jarious Jackson - 108 games
5) Joe Kapp and Buck Pierce, 91 games each

And there are three other positive offensive statistics in which Lulay ranks in the top 3:

Total Number of Yards Passing as a BC Lions Quarterback
1) Damon Allen - 27,621
2) Roy Dewalt - 22,863
3) Travis Lulay - 21,352

Total Number of Pass Completions as a BC Lions Quarterback
1) 2,037 - Damon Allen
2) 1,705 - Roy Dewalt
3) 1,658 - Travis Lulay

Total Number of Touchdown Passes as a BC Lions Quarterback
1) 136 - Damon Allen
2) 129 - Roy Dewalt
3) 127 - Travis Lulay

Here are some other distinctive and unique facts about Travis Lulay over other Lions QB greats:

#1.
He is only one of three BC Lions quarterbacks to win CFL Most Outstanding Player after Doug Flutie in 1991 and Casey Printers in 2004.

#2.
He was the first ever Lion to win BOTH a CFL Most Outstanding Player AND a Grey Cup Most Valuable Player. The other Lions GC MVP winners Dave Dickenson, Robert Drummond, Roy Dewalt did not win Most Outstanding Players as Lions, while other Lion MOP award winners like Solomon Elimimian, Casey Printers, David Williams did not win a Grey Cup. Finally, Lion MOP who won a Grey Cup like Geroy Simon and Mervyn Fernandez were not selected as the Grey Cup Most Valuable Player.

#3.
Finally, the biggest and most unique and distinctive takeaway is that compared to the nine other Lion QB's in the poll, Travis Lulay was a BC Lion throughout his entire CFL career. For longer-termed Lions like Dewalt, Kapp, Printers, and Jackson, while they spent their majority of their time as Lions they nevertheless did indeed play for the CFL teams. And then for other CFL legends and Hall of Fame members like Flutie, Dunigan, McManus, Allen, and Dickenson - they played for other teams for many seasons as well and they did very well in their other teams by winning championships and/or individual awards with their other respective teams and also helped beat the Lions in notable games. And when one is asked to associate a team for that great QB, one is less likely to associate the BC Lions for that QB and as such, your views on that player might be clouded. But for Travis Lulay, there's no clouding at all as he was always and only a BC Lion. And he never bailed out on the team or request a trade like several other great Lion QB's on the poll.

With all that said, will you rank Travis Lulay as your #1 BC Lions Quarterback ever given his longevity and loyalty to the team over the good but short-term Lions QB's?
Last edited by Robbie on Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I voted for Lulay. He is pure class and heart all the way. You won’t find a nicer guy in football.

Joe Paopao (not on the list) would be my No. 2. He was a genuine nice guy on and off the field.

Dave Dickenson would be right up there as a low-key, cerebral QB. I’m sorry he didn’t get a chance to coach in B.C.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:01 pm
Joe Paopao (not on the list) would be my No. 2. He was a genuine nice guy on and off the field.
I think in the end though for most fans, both having a good personality + great on-field performance is what is required for a typical fan to really like that player. Being a nice guy only gets you so far but it does not lead to wins.
Dave Dickenson would be right up there as a low-key, cerebral QB. I’m sorry he didn’t get a chance to coach in B.C.
I think determination is what fans really like in a quarterback as well so that's why most fans like him even though his determination caused him to be so injured as often as he did. And any frustration fans had about his injuries was limited. As such, he was not as frustrating of a player compared to say....Damon Allen who had his relatively old age was not injured during his seven years as a Lion but never won the hearts and appreciation of most Lions fans.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

No option for Paul Brothers? WTF! ;)
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:48 am
Again, only 10 options. Nobody would vote for him anyways. :roll:
And I also had to leave out Buck Pierce, Kent Austin, and aforementioned Joe Paopao.
祝你龍年行大運。
cromartie
Hall of Famer

What? No Andre Ware option?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Come on guys, let's get serious now and don't detract this thread, all right? :yes:

One of the negatively emotionally threads on this board was one created in October 2010 when Casey Printers was released from the Lions after his second stint was a team was a failure:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18912

Obviously with these huge transactional changes there's a huge risk in that the replacement may or may not be better and only time could tell. In that case though, the change couldn't have been better when Wally Buono decided to take his chances on Travis Lulay by making him the undisputed starting quarterback. :yahoo:
祝你龍年行大運。
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I think Joe Paopao and Buck Pierce deserve to be in the 10. But I would still vote for Lulay as #1.
Spud387
Champion

For me it is Lulay, but I am biased.
  • He was our quarterback for the majority of the time I have been an adult and actively following the BC Lions
  • He brought home the grey cup on home soil as well achieving MOP & GC MVP honors.
  • Has been a consummate pro and great role model during his entire tenure
  • We share the same first name :cool:
  • He recorded a congratulations from training camp for me and my wife on our wedding day
It hard to just who is/was the "best." The best quarterback of all time could have played for the BC Lions for only one season... a quarterback could break every single season record one year, but then ships out to the NFL... does that make them the best BC Lion?

Lulay was an amazing quarterback, is a great person, wore nothing but orange through his career (incl his hair). He is a BC Lion only and he is ours to celebrate.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I voted for Flutie for he was the best QB to play ffor the Lions and most exciting. If Bob O had not screwed up, he would have won a Grey Cup for the Lions.

Lulay wins because of recent memory. and he retired the other day. Roy Dewalt was a great QB for us a for a few years and won a Grey Cup

Why you included Jarious Jackson on the list is beyond me? He was basically a career backup and for years could not win even a game as a starter. He should not be on this list Robbie. Jerry Tagge more deserving than Jackson. At least he led us to the palyoffs one year and won a playoff game. Jackson did none of that.

I agree too Joe Paopao is more deserving. He was a very good QB for us during the Vic Rapp years. He just played when Eskimos had a dynasty. I would also question putting Casey Printers on the list. He had one great year; that is it.

No one here probably remembers Joe Kapp. I was just 1 when Lions won in 64.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Robbie wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:12 am
Hambone wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:48 am
Again, only 10 options. Nobody would vote for him anyways. :roll:
And I also had to leave out Buck Pierce, Kent Austin, and aforementioned Joe Paopao.

As well as Jerry and the Cardiacs Tagge.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:07 pm
I think Joe Paopao and Buck Pierce deserve to be in the 10. But I would still vote for Lulay as #1.
If Joe Paopao and Buck Pierce should be in the 10, then which two Lions should be left out from the poll? Maybe Buck Pierce in and Jarious Jackson out? From 2007-09, there was a lot of back and forth between Pierce and Jackson as to who would be delegated as the starter and who would be relegated as the backup or even the 3rd string QB. For me, I included Jackson over Pierce over the fact that Jackson played more games and seasons over Pierce, and it and it was Pierce who was released from the team after 2009. And one huge negative impression of Pierce was when he started the 2008 WDF. The Lions offence was in the red zone so many times and the Lions had ample opportunity to put the game away, but Pierce and his offence couldn't score a single major and as allowed Calgary to fight back and win the game.
Spud387 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:26 pm
For me it is Lulay, but I am biased.
And I did ask for your biased opinion as indicated....
Spud387 wrote:
  • He was our quarterback for the majority of the time I have been an adult and actively following the BC Lions
  • He brought home the grey cup on home soil as well achieving MOP & GC MVP honors.
  • Has been a consummate pro and great role model during his entire tenure
  • We share the same first name :cool:
  • He recorded a congratulations from training camp for me and my wife on our wedding day
:whs:
Thanks for the personal list. Good to hear that you had great personal memories of him.
Spud387 wrote:
It hard to just who is/was the "best." The best quarterback of all time could have played for the BC Lions for only one season... a quarterback could break every single season record one year, but then ships out to the NFL... does that make them the best BC Lion?
So that's why both in the subject line as well as the poll question, I did NOT ask about who was the best Lions QB ever but rather, who was your favourite Lions QB.
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:58 pm
I voted for Flutie for he was the best QB to play ffor the Lions and most exciting. If Bob O had not screwed up, he would have won a Grey Cup for the Lions.
Please clarify, what exactly do you mean when you say If Bob O had not screwed up ? Are you saying that the Lions didn't re-sign him after 1991? Keep in mind that with so much money on the line, it was up to then owner Murray Pezim to provide a great offer for Doug Flutie - and it was the Calgary Stampeders owner and not the GM Larry Ryckman who gave that offer the Flutie. Or....are you referring to the Lions pathetic defence from 1991? The Lions continued to have a pathetic defence in 1992 as well. So there was no guarantee that the Lions would win the Grey Cup had Doug Flutie stayed around for another year or two. I'd say had Doug Flutie still been around in 1992, it would been a repetition from 1991 in that all the hard work that Flutie and his offence earned in putting points on to the scoreboard all went for nothing when the terrible Lions defence allowed the opponent to score even more points. That was so apparent and representative in the 1991 WDF as usually putting on 31 points by halftime and 41 points overall is usually good enough to win games, but not if the pathetic defence allows the opponent to score 43 points including 28 points in the 3rd quarter.
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Why you included Jarious Jackson on the list is beyond me? He was basically a career backup and for years could not win even a game as a starter. He should not be on this list Robbie. Jerry Tagge more deserving than Jackson. At least he led us to the palyoffs one year and won a playoff game. Jackson did none of that.
Two reasons whey I included Jarious Jackson. First is that there's always a strong correlation in a player's longevity with the team in addition to performance and in terms of honours and accolades such as being inducted into the Wall of Fame it's always players who played a significant number of years and as such, Doug Flutie with his only two seasons will not be inducted while Jarious Jackson did play in more seasons than most other QB's, albeit most in a backup role. The other reason is because Jarious Jackson does hold a unique honour that no Lions QB has ever done and that is....win TWO Grey Cups as a Lion.
JohnnyMusso wrote:
I would also question putting Casey Printers on the list. He had one great year; that is it.
Well, to be fair Doug Flutie had only one great year as a Lion as well as his first season in 1990, he was not spectacular as he was still adjusting to the CFL game and in some cases, Joe Paopao, Rickey Foggie, and Major Harris started games over Doug Flutie. And yet, most Lions fans would say Doug Flutie was their favourite.

And some Lions fans did indeed like Printers a lot in 2004 and he did become only the second Lion QB to win MOP and that by and of itself should be a real honour, and it has been debated to death as to whether he should have entered the 2004 Grey Cup game.
JohnnyMusso wrote:

No one here probably remembers Joe Kapp. I was just 1 when Lions won in 64.
For Lions fans who are still alive when the Lions won the 1964 Grey Cup may still really love Kapp along with Fleming, Bailey, etc. because of sentimental reasons. Furthermore, among the 10 Lion legends who have their numbers retired in the ring of honour, Kapp and his #22 is the only QB among those 10. Will Lulay and his #14 be only the second Lion QB to have his number retired?
祝你龍年行大運。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

sentimentally, Paopao and Lulay stand above the rest.

as far as who I enjoyed watching play, it goes

Flutie
Dunigan
Paopao
Tagge
J. Jackson
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Fred.Fonce
Rookie

I was 9 when Kapp won a GC and can clearly remember my Dad and older brother yelling and screaming watching the game on our little tv.
I had season tickets through the Vic Rapp years and have really fond memories of Tagge and Dewalt. If it wasn't for Lulay, Dewalt would be my #1.
Damon Allen sure put up the #'s but I just never mentally committed to him as our QB for some reason. As long as he played for us, it felt like he was just passing through.
I voted for Lulay. If his body would have held up, he'd own every Lions QB statistical category, and very likely more than one GC.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Fred.Fonce wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:17 am
I was 9 when Kapp won a GC and can clearly remember my Dad and older brother yelling and screaming watching the game on our little tv.
I had season tickets through the Vic Rapp years and have really fond memories of Tagge and Dewalt.
Good to hear that you have good memories of Kapp as a QB, Fred. Just wondering, were your views and memories of Joe Kapp tarnished and degraded in any way when he returned to the Lions as General Manager in 1990, but didn't managed the team all that well and was fired after 11 games?

----------------------------

What was good about Travis Lulay's departure was that it was done in amicable terms. Lulay voluntarily retired and was not forced out in any way. One huge reason and privilege Lulay had during his time with the Lions in that he was managed by just one individual - Wally Buono. This is unlike many other good Lion QB's who went through management changes and unfortunately couldn't get along with his new manager and left the team because of that.

Would your views and memories of a good Lions QB be tarnished if he left the team in less than amicable ways?

I'm reminded of this thread that I created a dozen years ago about the less than amicable circumstances of a how a good Lion QB departed the team: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14603&p=201259

Doing a copy and paste with some small modifications and additions on how various good Lion QB's left the team:

Roy Dewalt (1980 - 1987)
After the 1985 GC, Dewalt was awarded with a four year contract extension. But after two seasons with new salary cap rules, the Lions couldn't afford to keep Dewalt in 1988 so he was released. The Lions then traded for Matt Dunigan. While a sentimental favourite, Dewalt was essentially over-the-hill as he didn't achieve anything when he signed on with Winnipeg and then Ottawa. But his departure may have also had to do with incoming GM Joe Galat who players may not have gotten along with.

Matt Dunigan (1988 - 1989)
With the new management under Joe Kapp in 1990 off-season, Dunigan did not get along at all with his new GM so he soon traded. In that thread that I created evaluating past Lions trades, I indicated that trading Dunigan to the Toronto Argonauts in 1990 was one of the worst trades the Lions have made in their history. With the possible exception of Willie Pless, the six players the Lions obtained in the trade were totally ineffective. The Lions offence suffered under Joe Paopao and Doug Flutie wasn't used to the CFL game yet. This was a huge loss.

Doug Flutie (1990 - 1991)
After winning MOP, Doug Flutie became a free agent and new Stampeders owner Larry Ryckman offered him huge money that then-Lions owner Murray Pezim couldn't match. This was probably the biggest loss offensively although the Lions still had a terrible defense in 1992.

Danny Barrett (1992 - 1993)
After two mediocre seasons, Danny Barrett was traded away in a three way trade before the 1994 season for Kent Austin. I explained in my trade thread that Austin served the Lions better than Barrett did, so this has got to be one of the best trades ever. No loss at all with Barrett's departure.

Kent Austin (1994)
Austin served the Lions well in the 1994 regular season but we all know that he was injured in the 1994 WDF and Grey Cup. So to avoid a starting QB controversy in 1995, Austin was traded to Toronto. I'd still say this was still a minor loss in that the two players the Lions received from the Argonauts have been forgotten.

Danny McManus (1993 - 1995)
McManus had a decent season in 1995 which was his first as a full-time starting QB, but the Lions had to settle for a third place finish and a first round playoff loss. This could very well be the worst QB release the Lions have ever made. McManus went on to a great season in Edmonton with a close Grey Cup loss and then went did well with Hamilton as well. I think the reason he was not re-signed was because in the 1996 off-season there was a massive management overhaul with new owner Nelson Skalbania.

Damon Allen (1996 - 2002)
After signing him to a new contract, the Lions immediately traded him to Toronto after Dave Dickenson was signed. Despite being in BC for seven seasons, he didn't turn out to be a sentimental favourite and I don't think many fans were too sad to see him go. But the two players the Lions received from Allen have been forgotten, and that moved turned out to bite them as Allen still had some fuel in his tank and won 2004 GC MVP and 2005 MOP.

Casey Printers (2004 - 2005, 2009-10)
After winning 2004 MOP, the Lions rewarded him with a turned down a three-year, $1 million contract extension but he turned it down. And then after 2005, the Lions again gave him a good offer a three-year, $1.2 million (CAD) but again he turned it down and opted to go to the Kansas City Chiefs. And we all know that his last pass ever was a game-ending interception and had a huge fit, and the Lions released him after that.

Dave Dickenson (2003 - 2007)
Perhaps because of how injury prone he was, he was released by the Lions after 2007.

But with Travis Lulay, there was no controversy or tension whatsoever and I'd say it has to do with both Buono and Lulay himself. Buono never decided to release or trade Lulay with his injuries or when he relegated him to a backup, and Lulay never demanded a trade nor walk out on his team either.
祝你龍年行大運。