Gary Robinson passes....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

jcalhoun
Starter

Hey all,

[media]https://theprovince.com/sports/football ... dies-at-70[/media]

Gary was a really fine man. He was my football coach in grade 8 at George Pearkes Jr. Secondary in Port Coquitlam in 1990, and then again as an assistant coach at Terry Fox in 94-95.

He has a big, imposing man (especially to a group of 13 year olds), but he was never the sort to shout and make a scene when coaching. On hearing of his death this morning, a flood of memories returned, and what I keep returning to is how pleased he always was when you'd ask him some question which gave him the opportunity to explain technique to kids who just loved the game.

He worked as a teacher throughout his career with the Lions & afterwards. I believe he started in elementary in New Westminster and then worked his way up through the ranks to teach Junior & Senior high (back when those existed). I remember him sitting in on senior science classes (which he'd never taught) as if he was one of the students, furiously taking notes because he'd agreed to teach them the next semester. A lot of us admired him for that.

James