2019 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:22 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:17 pm
CardiacKid wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:01 pm
Take a look in the little "FYI" pamphlet that was included in the ST package that was recently sent out. I skimmed it but I recall a paragraph mentioning the Lions have gone to a non-hard copy system for tickets (or at least those of the PDF variety) in an effort to defeat scams, etc.
The paperless ticket process is explained on the Lions' website:
https://www.bclions.com/mobiletickets/
Wonder how that would work for one of my friends up here. He's still using a flip phone and is totally content to stick with it until either it dies or he does. :wink: A few others in my circle of friends who go to the pub for an after work sociable (even though they are retired) still don't have cell phones. Their wives might but they don't.
Cineplex started doing that as well last fall--telling customers "no need to print tickets--just display on your phone at entry" (but the tickets are saved as a pdf that can still be printed).

I guess businesses are assuming it's 2019, and smartphones have reached saturation level.

I hung onto my 8 year old Samsung flip phone (which was still working fine) right up until 2015, when I switched to a Galaxy Note. I use it more as a tablet--with that screen size you can do most anything on it.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

From Ed Willes
ABBC3_OFFTOPIC
• And finally, of all the numbers to emerge from the Leos’ opening night, this is the most concerning for the team. They drew 18,058 fans, believed to be the lowest total for a home-opener since 2002. Pretty sure the Lions will get better as the season unfolds and they’ll provide an entertaining product. It just remains to be seen if that product will attract any new fans, and that becomes a crucial issue for this franchise.
I'm still trying to figure out how the hell they drew 20,000 for the season opener a year ago against Montreal and coming off a terrible 2017.

Winnipeg is a solid divisional rival and brought in a number of their loyal followers on Saturday. It was an attractive giveaway too.
Without a doubt the earlier season launch isn't helping and this week's game will go virtually unnoticed with the NHL Draft in Vancouver. And of course the build-up to the season opener took a backseat to the Raptors last week.

Now I know why Rick LeLacheur said a few weeks ago they "should" surpass their season ticket total from a year ago. It wasn't exactly the response I was hoping for so the initial spike in sales when Reilly was signed in February must have eventually became a trickle a month or so later. Remember the good old days when Bob Ackles used to go on those pre-season conference calls and almost annually announce an increase in season tickets and sponsorships?

Lord knows they are trying.

The hip hop dancers in the stands is clearly reaching out to the younger demographic. Yet it was mostly 70s and 80s music which is pleasing to their largest demographic by far.

Their more affordable sections seem to sell reasonably well. It's the between the goalline and 30-yard lines where the empty seats really stand out. Section 238 (home side 20-yard-line) was about 80 percent empty on Saturday and likely just as worse on the visitors side where I am. With fees those $90 seats are a tough sell when the casual fan puts it up against watching the game at home.

And given where the Lower Mainland population is there are not enough Asians in the stands.
Likely not the only long-running Vancouver business wondering how to better engage with what's become a more and more crucial demographic in the ever-changing Lower Mainland.

With tackle minor football's alarming decline in registration in about the last 5 years, the Lions usual off-season school tours might just need to focus on the CFL game itself.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Their pricing is to high for the casual fan and the demographic that goes to Lions games!
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:37 am

Their more affordable sections seem to sell reasonably well. It's the between the goalline and 30-yard lines where the empty seats really stand out. Section 238 (home side 20-yard-line) was about 80 percent empty on Saturday and likely just as worse on the visitors side where I am. With fees those $90 seats are a tough sell when the casual fan puts it up against watching the game at home.
The aisle in the middle of 238 the boundary for a change in price points. Across the 238 aisle to 237/238 seats are $21 less than 238/239 and mostly sold. Wherever there are price point breaks the last section of the higher price point takes of a beating as fans will give up a few yards to move one more section over to the cheaper seats. If they made 238/239 $69 like 237/238 then the number of empty seats in 238/239 would drop dramatically and you'd see a big spike in empty seats in 239/240. What I find somewhat interesting is comparing 238/239 to its bookend 243/244. For the upcoming Edmonton game there looks to be around 200 seats available in 238/239 at $90 while there's about 25 available across the aisle in 237/238 at $69. On the other side of the midfield strip there are maybe 80 available in 243/244 at $90 and only 9 available in 244/245 at $69. I don't know if it's just that the players tunnel is at that end but for whatever reason seats are a much easier sell.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

On Saturday night I thought the "Simba Cam" delivered some great fan shots; some very cut and others quite funny.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

The Sportchek discount thing emailed to Lions season ticket holders works pretty good. The email says up to 70% off but it's a mixed bag. I bought some goods worth $285 before taxes. Bill came in at $171 plus taxes. Skecher sneakers came in at 50% off. Callaway Chrome golf balls 33% off. A cheap putter and 2 dozen low end golf balls I'm donating to a fun tournament were around 50% off. Deal ends on Saturday. Very nice perk for being a ST holder. I may have to go back next weekend.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:59 pm
The Sportchek discount thing emailed to Lions season ticket holders works pretty good. The email says up to 70% off but it's a mixed bag. I bought some goods worth $285 before taxes. Bill came in at $171 plus taxes. Skecher sneakers came in at 50% off. Callaway Chrome golf balls 33% off. A cheap putter and 2 dozen low end golf balls I'm donating to a fun tournament were around 50% off. Deal ends on Saturday. Very nice perk for being a ST holder. I may have to go back next weekend.
Thanks. I could use some Skechers and perhaps a jacket. I'll check it out.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:05 pm
Thanks. I could use some Skechers and perhaps a jacket. I'll check it out.
The Skecher sneakers I bought were marked at $84.99 on the shelf and came in at $41.97 on the bill.
dtrain
Starter

I'm liking the latest road combo, with black pants, but stark white socks need some detailing, I mocked up the attcahed pic:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David
Team Captain

Love the uniform, but love the detail you've added to the socks, dtrain. :thup:

You should submit that pic to Rick LeLacheur (rlelacheur@bclions.com).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

I wonder why the Lions scheduled Family Day around the Riders' visit, essentially putting all of their (proverbial) eggs in one basket? I saw a flashy :15 second ad for the game on Global last night.

Animation characters (for photo ops), ticket to Playland, BC Lions lunch bags for the first 3,000 kids, and post-game field access. I wonder if they lobbied for their only afternoon contest to be against the Riders, because the 8/24 game against Hamilton would have made more sense for a "back to school" promo.

One game needs no gimmicks to sell tickets.
The other needs all the help it can get.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I'm guessing Family Day in conjunction with the Riders is all about timing. They could cross promote with Playland in what is obviously a slower time for them than trying to do it in the peak of the PNE. Probably a better experience for families to take their kids there next weekend versus the crazy time that is PNE. Easier for parking. Nowhere as big of lineups for rides etc.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions are throwing everything into their marketing efforts for the Saturday afternoon home game against the Riders. The latest promotion, sent by email today, is a guaranteed $100,000 50/50 jackpot.
Did you know this Saturday’s BC Lions 50/50 jackpot, presented by belairdirect, is a guaranteed minimum of $100,000? YES!

If you are in BC and 19+, you can purchase your tickets ONLINE at bclions5050.com for this and all BC Lions home games in addition to still being able to purchase 50/50 tickets at the games themselves!

Participating is simple. Online tickets for the next home game are available for purchase now until the end of halftime this Saturday. At the stadium? Tickets are sold in-game from the time doors open at BC Place until the end of halftime. BC Lions 50/50 Proceeds benefit Amateur Football in British Columbia.

Online ticket buyers will receive a receipt in their email a few minutes after purchasing. It will list all numbers associated with the purchased tickets. Online 50/50 tickets will be available for all BC Lions home games all season long!
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:57 pm
The Lions are throwing everything into their marketing efforts for the Saturday afternoon home game against the Riders. The latest promotion, sent by email today, is a guaranteed $100,000 50/50 jackpot.
Did you know this Saturday’s BC Lions 50/50 jackpot, presented by belairdirect, is a guaranteed minimum of $100,000? YES!

If you are in BC and 19+, you can purchase your tickets ONLINE at bclions5050.com for this and all BC Lions home games in addition to still being able to purchase 50/50 tickets at the games themselves!

Participating is simple. Online tickets for the next home game are available for purchase now until the end of halftime this Saturday. At the stadium? Tickets are sold in-game from the time doors open at BC Place until the end of halftime. BC Lions 50/50 Proceeds benefit Amateur Football in British Columbia.

Online ticket buyers will receive a receipt in their email a few minutes after purchasing. It will list all numbers associated with the purchased tickets. Online 50/50 tickets will be available for all BC Lions home games all season long!
Can't imagine how frustrating for the marketing department it must be to throw a lot of incentives into this game against a popular opponent — hoping to push attendance well above 20,000 — only for the team to get off to a disasterous start.
The bar is pretty low so it will be the biggest crowd of the season with the Riders faithful factored in but not close to what they were originally hoping for.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Fans aren't going to buy tickets to the game in a covered stadium to buy 50/50 tickets when they can simply buy it online.