2019 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Travelzoo offers some discounted tickets for the Lions as well as some very good local and distant deals from meals to vacations.

https://www.travelzoo.com/ca/entertainm ... Id=2784061
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The 4pm start allows for a trip from Victoria and return the same day, saving the cost of a hotel room. Still it is a minimum $250-$300 and with the Lions playing like garbage it is a no brainer....I will stay home and watch it on TV until the game gets out of hand as I expect it will.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Listening to Travis Lulay in conversation with Matt Baker (First&Now podcast via the Lions website) sounding so relaxed and at ease was a breath of fresh air for me. I needed that! Goes to show how the game winds people up with stress -- you can hear in his tone that's all gone. Good for him! https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/e ... 0445728351
BC 1988
Legend

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1348402
Today on Donnie and the Moj, (later in the hour at 18:00 a great interview with Darren Flutie) they started the show with producer Ryan Henderson (aka Big Ry) ranting about the roof being closed for the Mumford & Sons concert last night. The setup for the stage did not have anything that required overhead supports (they're a neo-folkie band).
In his Twitter post he says BC Place announced it would be closed due to "production requirements"

(edited to correct my error about the roof being closed vs SSK).
Last edited by BC 1988 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The roof was open for the Saskatchewan game. I never heard why it was closed for the Edmonton game.
BC 1988
Legend

Thanks for the clarification B.C.FAN. I thought I heard it was closed. Good thing it was open for all the Rider fans (like it or not, they are an important source of revenue here).
I've still got the game on my pvr--sometime I'll get around to watching it. (When I heard it got ugly early, I was in no hurry).
dtrain
Starter

Finally watching DVR’d @bclions vs Bombers, just me or did they switch helmet decals from chrome to regular orange?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

dtrain wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:03 pm
Finally watching DVR’d @bclions vs Bombers, just me or did they switch helmet decals from chrome to regular orange?
I don't recall them using chrome decals this season. Seems to me the CFL made a mandate this year that teams wear the same helmets all season. No alternates or different helmets on the road versus home.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:29 pm
dtrain wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:03 pm
I don't recall them using chrome decals this season. Seems to me the CFL made a mandate this year that teams wear the same helmets all season. No alternates or different helmets on the road versus home.
The new ones don’t show up as well on black helmets or car windows.
dtrain
Starter

The ‘chrome’ decals have a reflective finish, just like the Adidas kits had, and while slick, i agree that they don’t pop as well as the traditional orange decals would. Really think an orange cage would also help liven up these lids.
David
Team Captain

Just a heads up. Rick LeLacheur on TSN1040 radio from 3:00pm - 5:00pm today (Tuesday).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

So I've listened to two lengthy interviews with LeLacheur this week in which the possibility of a 24,000 seat outdoor stadium has been brought up, and this is the first time I can recall someone from the Lions not shooting this idea down.

If anything Rick has added fuel to the fire by suggesting it would have to be on the Skytrain line and be structured like Ottawa where it's part of an entertainment development zone, possibly a partnership with the Whitecaps. The club does currently not get any food and beverage revenue and their agreement expires in a few years. It would cost $200 - $300 million but he mentioned pre-fab stadiums like in Europe (Langford has one right now) as possible.

Cybulski and Solkowski suggested this morning (in the 8:00 hour) that in 10 years, we may not be watching sporting events at BC Place any longer. That stadium could be torn down and a smaller outdoor stadium built in its place as the footprint, or "Hastings Park" would be a very attractive place to put a stadium.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
QB Club 63
All Star

David wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:57 am
Cybulski and Solkowski suggested this morning (in the 8:00 hour) that in 10 years, we may not be watching sporting events at BC Place any longer. That stadium could be torn down and a smaller outdoor stadium built in its place as the footprint, or "Hastings Park" would be a very attractive place to put a stadium.
Building a smaller stadium at Hastings Park would have too many issues. From my perspective, transit is the number one concern. I live in North Van near Westview and getting home from "Tempire" Field in 2011 proved to be a painful experience. Translink seemed to be ignorant of the need for adding more buses on game nights, and many times it would have been quicker had I walked home after a Lions game. (2 hours by bus???)

Alternatives? Let's pursue the idea of a new stadium having proximity to Skytrain and toss some ideas out there:
  • Would Swangard be any better choice? Skytrain is close by but would Metrotown allow fans attending games to use their parking lots? And would Burnaby Parks embrace the idea of cutting down more trees in Central Park?
  • What about the proposal to replace Thunderbird Stadium? Skytrain is coming to UBC but would that area support a 25,000 seat facility? It is becoming residential (if you can call an area where they are proposing a 32-storey tower "residential").
  • Would a stadium in Coquitlam work? You've got an expansive sports complex not far from LaFarge Lake Skytrain station. Or with big shopping malls apparently becoming an endangered species could the Coquitlam Centre acreage host a 25,000 seat sports venue?
  • Then there's Surrey. Enough said? :tease:

Sorry, I couldn't resist myself. Imagine the Patullo Bridge being replaced which leads to an extensive redevelopment around Scott Road station? Whenever I ride skytrain out that way I see lots of under-utilised commercial property. Plenty of room for parking and some major traffic arteries as well.
Whew! Maybe someone could talk to that guy that won the $60million Lotto prize to see if he likes football!! :wink:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:57 am
So I've listened to two lengthy interviews with LeLacheur this week in which the possibility of a 24,000 seat outdoor stadium has been brought up, and this is the first time I can recall someone from the Lions not shooting this idea down.

If anything Rick has added fuel to the fire by suggesting it would have to be on the Skytrain line and be structured like Ottawa where it's part of an entertainment development zone, possibly a partnership with the Whitecaps. The club does currently not get any food and beverage revenue and their agreement expires in a few years. It would cost $200 - $300 million but he mentioned pre-fab stadiums like in Europe (Langford has one right now) as possible.

Whitecaps part owner Jeff Mallett did not see a stadium in the cards for their club other than staying put.

Mallett was on with TSN the day after the Lions President.

Didn't pay much attention to the details but he noted other teams he's involved with and concluded it was not on their radar.

Mallet knows his stuff on business, sports and teams as you can see here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Mallett

My sense is that the CFL and Lions have to grow the fan base and get more of the non-traditional groups involved in football and gain fans in new market segments.

The Lions right now have basically only one very good person in the media these days and that's Lulay.

Wally was good in the media - like what he said or not he was fearless in meeting the press and making his points. I miss that.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I think the only way a staduim happens in one of the suburbs is if one of those municipalities steps up and pulls a Glendale and sticks the necks of their taxpayers out and goes it alone to build something.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.