2019 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

I got the latest insider email and it shows Mike Reilly bobblehead resplendent in his orange pants. (I was unable to save the pic.) The Lions are wasting no time using their main attraction on opening day.
MikeAK
All Star

Zarquon wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:07 pm
Just saw the video the Lions posted of the players Headshot Day as well as receiving my "Replica" Jersey today. VERY disappointed that the "Replica" jerseys do not match the actual jersey and have a VERY different look. The back and name bar completely different colouring and look, also no numbers on the sleeves of the replicas. First time as a Lions fan and being a long time season ticket holder that I am mad at the organization.

A replica jersey should match what the players are wearing somewhat closely, but when it isn't even close that is false advertising in my mind. Combine that with them dropping the price since those of us preordered this back in February and honestly, I am left with a feeling of being ripped off.
I'm surprised this isn't being talked about more. I find this to be complete garbage and bush league. I was all set to place an order until thankfully I saw somebody on twitter post pictures. The CFL fans are such a loyal and supporting community. They deserve way better than this.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

MikeAK wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 2:17 pm
Zarquon wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:07 pm
Just saw the video the Lions posted of the players Headshot Day as well as receiving my "Replica" Jersey today. VERY disappointed that the "Replica" jerseys do not match the actual jersey and have a VERY different look. The back and name bar completely different colouring and look, also no numbers on the sleeves of the replicas. First time as a Lions fan and being a long time season ticket holder that I am mad at the organization.

A replica jersey should match what the players are wearing somewhat closely, but when it isn't even close that is false advertising in my mind. Combine that with them dropping the price since those of us preordered this back in February and honestly, I am left with a feeling of being ripped off.
I'm surprised this isn't being talked about more. I find this to be complete garbage and bush league. I was all set to place an order until thankfully I saw somebody on twitter post pictures. The CFL fans are such a loyal and supporting community. They deserve way better than this.
Both you guys should let the Lions marketing/promotional people know how you feel.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Looks to me like the changes to both jerseys are largely cosmetic with the biggest changes being to the "accessories"; helmets and pants/socks. Unless I'm missing something they simply added a white trim to the numbers on the front and back, removed the tramp stamp and put one on the the top of each shoulder. Are the numbers a different font? Did they do anything different with the road jersey other than put British Columbia where it used to say Lions and go with black numbers?

Doesn't much matter to me anyways as I'm not one who buys replica jerseys. Last one I bought was the replica Merv jersey I break out for Grey Cup and I bought that in about 1985. If I'm going to spend money on a jersey it will be the real McCoy aka a game worn jersey. If I buy anything Lions related it's golf shirts, t-shirts a windbreaker or a ball cap.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

The RedBlacks are pulling their jerseys and making some alterations. As they state in the following tweet, “we noticed our replica jerseys don’t look quite right”.

With the Lions, even Ed Hervey is getting involved in the social media efforts with a rather convincing turn in front of the camera. This vid is getting good feedback online.

MikeAK
All Star

CardiacKid wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:28 pm
The RedBlacks are pulling their jerseys and making some alterations. As they state in the following tweet, “we noticed our replica jerseys don’t look quite right”.

I tip my hat to them for being straight up and dealing with it fast. A $200 replica jersey should be just that. I don't expect sponsorship patches but I do expect it to be a replica of what is worn on the field. I hope BC follows up fast because the current offering just isn't right.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Brian at BC LIons Den:
ABBC3_OFFTOPIC
For those complaining about the new jerseys matching the players. There was a timing issue getting new templates to the overseas manufacturer and not all elements could be added in time. #BCLions #NewEraCanada #CFL
Man, I love my team but this just can't happen. So New Era is actually off the hook-up since they didn't get the specifics in time to send to the overseas manufacturer? How does this happen when the off season is 6 months long and the New Era deal was announced last September? We're also not talking about $20 t-shirts either.
Fans like Zarquon that pre-ordered need to have an option of being full refunded or credited for the correct version when I take it they get it right in 2020.

I take it the road replicas are at least correct?
MikeAK
All Star

SammyGreene wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:49 am
Brian at BC LIons Den:
ABBC3_OFFTOPIC
For those complaining about the new jerseys matching the players. There was a timing issue getting new templates to the overseas manufacturer and not all elements could be added in time. #BCLions #NewEraCanada #CFL
Man, I love my team but this just can't happen. So New Era is actually off the hook-up since they didn't get the specifics in time to send to the overseas manufacturer? How does this happen when the off season is 6 months long and the New Era deal was announced last September? We're also not talking about $20 t-shirts either.
Fans like Zarquon that pre-ordered need to have an option of being full refunded or credited for the correct version when I take it they get it right in 2020.

Looking at the BC Lions store it looks as though the Roads suffer from the same issues. They are basically last years jerseys with shoulder patches added and the tram stamp removed. They look nothing like what will be worn on the field this season and certainly not worthy of the "replica" $200 tag.

Again, thumbs up to the Redblacks for admitting this is wrong and taking action.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

As SammyGreene stated, it's inexcusable. They got months to roll this out and they blow it.
CardiacKid
Legend

MikeAK wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 12:38 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
Brian at BC LIons Den:
ABBC3_OFFTOPIC

Looking at the BC Lions store it looks as though the Roads suffer from the same issues. They are basically last years jerseys with shoulder patches added and the tram stamp removed. They look nothing like what will be worn on the field this season and certainly not worthy of the "replica" $200 tag.

Again, thumbs up to the Redblacks for admitting this is wrong and taking action.
Apparently the Lions will NOT duplicate the corrective actions of the RedBlacks and will continue selling the current iteration of the jersey. According to the back and forth on BC Lions Den twitter feed.
dtrain
Starter

In hindsight they should have left this game jersey detail as was last year, then no issue, update it next year.

Having seen several images from today’s game, what jumps out the most on these uni sets: the pant stripes.
Too bold.
Need to be refined, thinned out to compliment helmet striping, regardless of orange or black pants.
Thinking grey pants just like 70s retro uni from 2010 would solve everything, orange is a strong colour and there’s just too much in today’s set.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Brand recognition and legibility are paramount with any uniform. Viewers on TV and in the stands should be able to instantly identify the team and player.

The white outline on the big numbers on the front and back of the jersey is an improvement and the addition of British Columbia on the front is a great addition for casual fans but the orange on black nameplate on the back of the jersey seems harder to read than the black on orange used last year.
MikeAK
All Star

CardiacKid wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:38 pm
MikeAK wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:
Brian at BC LIons Den:
ABBC3_OFFTOPIC

Apparently the Lions will NOT duplicate the corrective actions of the RedBlacks and will continue selling the current iteration of the jersey. According to the back and forth on BC Lions Den twitter feed.
That's disappointing to be sure. That they would continue to knowingly sell a false product to their fans is an incredible low thing to do. Oh how things have changed.

I guess I'll just hold off until next year and see what the reported re-designs look like.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

MikeAK wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 3:33 pm
CardiacKid wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:38 pm
MikeAK wrote:

That's disappointing to be sure. That they would continue to knowingly sell a false product to their fans is an incredible low thing to do. Oh how things have changed.

I guess I'll just hold off until next year and see what the reported re-designs look like.
Somewhat sad (and a little alarming) the Lions aren't willing to eat the cost on the initial order of replicas and neither is New Era to get it right. I hate to say it but no way this would happen with one of the big 4 sports leagues and it would likely be the manufacturer going all out to make sure their new client is happy with the end product. But we're not talking about potential millions in jersey sales either.

It's one thing buying a knockoff jersey for $39.99 at Walmart that isn't 100 percent identical. It's another when it's sold by the club for $175.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Has anyone written to the Lions about this issue and received a response? I was considering buying a new jersey this year but I've decided against it.