2018 BC Lions - Highs and Lows

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Highs:
* The "Miracle Comeback" win over Hamilton on Sept. 22. Down by 8 points, Jennings calmly marched the offence 59 yards in nine seconds to tie the game in regulation, then won it Ty Long’s game-winning kick in the second overtime period after Lirim Hajrullahu's miss. Oh yea, Bryan Burnham made a catch for the ages for the 2pt convert to tie the game. :shock: How many of the 5,000 or 6,000 diehards left in the stands will claim to have witnessed it in 10 years?? :wink:

* We really found our mojo in a stretch between Sept. 7 and Oct. 19, winning 6 of 7 including a convincing victory at the toughest place in the CFL to pull out a win - McMahon Stadium, 26-21 over the Stamps on Oct. 13.

* Consistently booming punts and reliable field-goal kicking from Ty Long was a highlight. Strong play from rookie 3rd string centre Andrew Peirson was a pleasant surprise. Acquisition Davon Coleman was a beast in the middle of the D-line all season.

* The atmosphere at B.C. Place for Wally's send-off. 24,114 came out for a meaningless game, and the crowd noise and buzz at the beginning of the game is the closest we've had to a playoff game in BC Place. Lots of alumni on hand took part in the celebrations.

Lows:
* We paid for the miracle win over the Cats on the back end, losing the next two by an embarrassing combined score of 88-16 to a team that itself got blown out in the playoffs. How bad did the East Semi-Final get? Hamilton could have easily put up 60 points had Masoli not been pulled.

* A sluggish 3-6 start to the season, with three of the losses coming by 4 points or fewer, including blowing a 25-22 lead in the final minute in Ottawa, losing 29-25 to the Redblacks.

* A honest comment and legitimate concern of the GM or a blind-sided cheap shot? This was the great debate on Oct. 6 when Ed Hervey questioned Jonathon Jennings' work ethic. Regardless of veracity, it probably was an unnecessary distraction.

* Our return game was 'off' all season. Whether it was questionable blocking schemes, a nagging injury, or not properly reading his blocks, Chris Rainey just couldn't untracked, and was twice a healthy scratch during the regular season.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The OT win against Hamilton was probably the CFL’s game of the year. I’ve saved a desktop wallpaper image of me celebrating in the stands behind Bryan Burnham after one of his clutch end-zone catches.

This was probably the most talented Lions team in six years, but they couldn’t live up to their potential. Every time they built up expectations with a comeback victory, they let us down with a big loss, including the annual
playoff blowout.
David
Team Captain

It was, in fact, the CFL's Game Of The Year:

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/12/28/ranking-1 ... ames-2018/

Another hallmark of the 2018 defence was giving up too many first downs on 2nd and long. And I don't just mean 2nd and 8 either. Too many times we gave up first downs on 2nd and 12 or 2nd and 15 that kept alive scoring drives.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

I agree in the most talented team, partly due to the significant injuries allowing mid-season signings that the Lions don't generally make. Too bad a couple of those injuries weren't able to find their way back into the lineup by seasons end.

Lions dug a hole out of the gate and somehow righted the ship in mid-season, only to stumble into the playoffs without the passion so often connected with Wally coached teams. This is clearly evident in recent playoff matches.

Can't wait to see what Claybrooks and co can bring to the table.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

David's take on the highs and lows is spot on.

My take on this is not dissimilar to yours:
Our return game was 'off' all season. Whether it was questionable blocking schemes, a nagging injury, or not properly reading his blocks, Chris Rainey just couldn't untracked, and was twice a healthy scratch during the regular season.
I found it perplexing that Jeff Reinebold known for being an innovative ST coach was unable to deliver the impact he had prior to coming here. Not looked at stats but perception alone.

While running back kicks is a diminishing skill over time I just couldn't grasp what was going with Rainey. Taken out showed clearly it wasn't him!
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
SammyGreene
Team Captain

My high and low points of 2018 happened within a week of each other

High
Oct 19
BC 42
Edmonton 32
A breakout game and monster 3rd quarter for DeVier Posey with 3 TDs leads to locking up a playoff spot in thoroughly entertaining game. Throw in the huge road win in Calgary a week earlier and BC looks like a legitimate cup contender.

Low
Oct 27
Saskatchewan 35
BC 16
Lions would need some help but 2nd place was still possible until this no-show performance at Mosiac. Collaros injured early in 1st half yet Lions still get dominated.

Lulay threw a 4th quarter INT for a TD that nearly let the Eskimos back into the game a week earlier. Not sure if it spooked him but he was dreadful in this game and not the same the rest of the season.

After another lacklustre performance in the finale against Calgary, Wally said this team only responds when its back is against the wall. He was wrong. The stench from that game in Regina carried right through to the blowout loss in the Eastern Semi.
I think it was Farhan that pointed out that 3-week nosedive to end the season would cost most coaches their jobs. Fortunately a change was already certain.
David
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:42 am
Lions dug a hole out of the gate and somehow righted the ship in mid-season, only to stumble into the playoffs without the passion so often connected with Wally coached teams. This is clearly evident in recent playoff matches.
We will simply have to perform better on the road. 2-8, including the playoffs, is not going to get it done (we were marginally better on the road in 2017 at 4-5 but three of those victories came in July. If you take away those three wins, we are a combined 3-13 away from B.C. Place since August 2017!!

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Highs: Jeremiah Johnson did everything asked of him.
Lows: Tyrell Sutton. Why?

Highs: Ty Long. He will be missed.
Lows: Mark Washington. He won't.

The whole season was mediocre. There was nothing memorable.

The Hamilton game? Ok.

There was nothing the Lions had that said to me " defence will hold here " or "they will score here" . It a season that never really started; but it sure ended . With 2 huge colossal fails.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Highs. Some outstanding team and individual performances. Some big wins. Some great player acquisitions by Ed Hervey.

Lows. Many games out coached. Ed Hervey publicly ripping his QB, Jonathon Jennings. This fan hopes we do not see our GM do this again with any player.

Overall a so-so season. We did scrape our way into the playoffs. And then we got blown out.

Before 2018 was over, new hope arrived with a new coaching staff.

Just IMO ... 2019 brings a brand new ball game.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Dusty
Champion

Highs:
Even though I've had season tickets for almost 40 years, this past season I attended more home games than I have in each of the past 8 seasons. Part of it was being in Vancouver more, but a lot of it was that going to the stadium became fun again...

Hamilton game was a highlight mainly because I had sympathy for all those people who were trudging up the stairs on their way out and glee because I stayed and they found out about what they missed when they got to their car ... Petty I know, but dammit... the game aint over......

Lows:
The alarming fall at the end of the season after coming on stronger during the middle of the season. That felt too much like "been there...."