Atlantic Schooners

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Schooners might as well be howling at the moon-ers because nothing happens until some level of government shows up with $200M to build a stadium. And I don't see that happening anytime soon.

OTOH the federal Liberals have a pretty good record of spending $ in the Maritimes in order to garner votes.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:26 pm
I am fine with Schooners due to its history, but it's a bit of a mouthful. It seems about right for its time (when did this first come up, sometime in the '70s?). The Storm though seems a bit more current and functional. Either way, I am fine and won't lose sleep over Schooners.

DH :cool:
It came up first in 1982 when Halifax had been awarded a franchise to begin play in 1984.

From Wiki:
On November 3, 1982, the team name Atlantic Schooners was officially announced by Albrecht at a press conference in Halifax, Nova Scotia.It was selected based on a study followed by a name-the-team contest in which "schooner" was the winning selection. Other names that were considered by Donoval were Atlantic Windjammers and Atlantic Storm. The goal was to have a team that would represent each of the four Atlantic provinces and become a regional team. The logo was a stylized "A" in the shape of a schooner that rode on four waves, each representing the four Atlantic provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland. The team colours were silver, maritime blue, nautical brass, and white.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Schooners

As for being a mouthful it's no more of a mouthful than Eskimos, Stampeders, Roughriders, Blue Bombers, Argonauts and Alouettes; all nicknames of more syllables and in some cases more letters.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:46 am
Schooners might as well be howling at the moon-ers because nothing happens until some level of government shows up with $200M to build a stadium. And I don't see that happening anytime soon.

OTOH the federal Liberals have a pretty good record of spending $ in the Maritimes in order to garner votes.
Typically the model involves some formula of cost sharing by all 3 levels of government; federal, provincial and municipal. The City of Halifax has already stated their general revenue piggy bank is empty. That though doesn't mean they can't come up with some funds as it has become common for municipal governments to fund parts or all of their contribution by bumping or adding a tax to things like hotels and rental cars. Provincially Nova Scotia has a Liberal majority that was re-elected to a second term in 2017. Previously they were NDP for one term after a decade of PC leadership. That may bode well for getting some provincial funding, certainly more potential than if they were still NDP.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:52 am
David wrote:
I am fine with Schooners due to its history, but it's a bit of a mouthful. It seems about right for its time (when did this first come up, sometime in the '70s?). The Storm though seems a bit more current and functional. Either way, I am fine and won't lose sleep over Schooners.

It came up first in 1982 when Halifax had been awarded a franchise to begin play in 1984.

From Wiki:
On November 3, 1982, the team name Atlantic Schooners was officially announced by Albrecht at a press conference in Halifax, Nova Scotia.It was selected based on a study followed by a name-the-team contest in which "schooner" was the winning selection. Other names that were considered by Donoval were Atlantic Windjammers and Atlantic Storm. The goal was to have a team that would represent each of the four Atlantic provinces and become a regional team. The logo was a stylized "A" in the shape of a schooner that rode on four waves, each representing the four Atlantic provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland. The team colours were silver, maritime blue, nautical brass, and white.

As for being a mouthful it's no more of a mouthful than Eskimos, Stampeders, Roughriders, Blue Bombers, Argonauts and Alouettes; all nicknames of more syllables and in some cases more letters.
I wasn't actually referring to letters and syllables. Lions, Bombers, and Storm are used in everyday conversation.

If you put the word "Schooner" in front of 100 people under 30 (the league's new target audience) that aren't from the Maritimes and asked them to read the word out loud, I wonder how many could a) identify what it is and b) pronounce it properly and not guess "Shoe-ner?"

Roar, You Lions, Roar
cromartie
Hall of Famer

That's actually a mediocre rendering of what was once a really good logo. The Storm were anchors of the Arena League for a long time, and their rivalry with Orlando, for awhile there was pretty good.

It does my heart well to see the league go coast to coast, finally. I do think with two division of five we should eliminate the crossover. As we've seen with Ottawa, a properly financed well run organization can be competitive sooner rather than later, and I would expect a playoff competitive club by season three.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:27 pm
Hambone wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:52 am
David wrote:

From Wiki:

I wasn't actually referring to letters and syllables. Lions, Bombers, and Storm are used in everyday conversation.

If you put the word "Schooner" in front of 100 people under 30 (the league's new target audience) that aren't from the Maritimes and asked them to read the word out loud, I wonder how many could a) identify what it is and b) pronounce it properly and not guess "Shoe-ner?"

It it were a problem, that would be an indictment of the education system, not the word itself. How many people know what a Stampeder, Roughrider, or an Argonaut is? Or why the Blue Bombers are called Blue Bombers or even what an Alouette is for that matter. Don't even get me going on the name Redblack. In fact, of all those choices, I would wager that Schooner would probably have the most recognition and if you know the word "school", you are likely going to get "Schooners". It is a term that still gets used now and again in the real world.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Not that tough to say. Schooner.

A well-known type of sailing vessel, suitable for a Maritime football team.

And as we know the famous Maritime ship, the Bluenose, was a schooner.

Also a brand of beer in the Maritimes.

David, you might like some of these advertising lines used in the past for Schooner beer. LOL "The Schooner, the better." Ha ha "I'd sooner have a Schooner." Sold yet on the name, David?

If they can't pronounce the dayum thing, they are just going to have to learn. (Now we hear the British pronunciation of Jaguar advertised on TV. Gawd.) "Gimme one of them beers. Shooner? Yeah, that's it." Ha ha

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schooner_Lager

Schooner_Lager.jpg
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluenose

Its racing record was quite impressive, as well as carrying cargo. And it was a beautful ship, in my opinion. The original is long gone.

The_Famous_Bluenose_(Restored).jpg
bluenose2-848px-compressor.jpg
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It's what the region wants so it's should be fine with all CFL fans and it's a truly an Atlantic/ maritime provinces name that reflects those provinces nicely.

RedBlacks is the nuttiest name in the CFL now but no one seems to be bothered by it - certainly not in Ottawa.
Check this list list of weird team names:

https://athlonsports.com/40-weirdest-te ... mes-sports

Some funny ones in this list:

16. Mt. Clemens (Mich.) Battling Bathers

Of course the headline writers will use things like:

Stamps Sink Schooners

Schooners Skunked and Sunk

Schooners Set Sails for Grey Cup
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:24 am
Not that tough to say. Schooner.

A well-known type of sailing vessel, suitable for a Maritime football team.

And as we know the famous Maritime ship, the Bluenose, was a schooner.

Also a brand of beer in the Maritimes.

David, you might like some of these advertising lines used in the past for Schooner beer. LOL "The Schooner, the better." Ha ha "I'd sooner have a Schooner." Sold yet on the name, David?

If they can't pronounce the dayum thing, they are just going to have to learn. (Now we hear the British pronunciation of Jaguar advertised on TV. Gawd.) "Gimme one of them beers. Shooner? Yeah, that's it." Ha ha

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schooner_Lager

Schooner_Lager.jpg
While I still remain a 10th CFL team skeptic and will do so until someone steps forward to pledge $200M for a stadium, it is pretty clear what brand of beer will be sold there.

I also think the young kids and some of the older ones if you know what I mean, will get a kick out of the fact that they named the football team after a beer.
David
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:

No WCJ, as mentioned in a previous thread, I am fine with it. It has history and is inexorably tied to the initial 'bid' for a team in the Maritimes, circa 1982. I just said it's a bit of a mouthful and not Gen X / Gen Y friendly, whom the league seems determined to attract.

Hey, we're all bright guys on this board. Seemingly so, anyway. We all get it and know what it means. I was merely questioning the merits of trying to sell younger fans on merchandise bearing the mark (logo, colours etc.) "Schooners." Just another in a line of "oddball" CFL names, I guess. :wink:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:37 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:

No WCJ, as mentioned in a previous thread, I am fine with it. It has history and is inexorably tied to the initial 'bid' for a team in the Maritimes, circa 1982. I just said it's a bit of a mouthful and not Gen X / Gen Y friendly, whom the league seems determined to attract.

Hey, we're all bright guys on this board. Seemingly so, anyway. We all get it and know what it means. I was merely questioning the merits of trying to sell younger fans on merchandise bearing the mark (logo, colours etc.) "Schooners." Just another in a line of "oddball" CFL names, I guess. :wink:

I hear ya, David.

Sometimes, as a CFL fan, I would internally cringe at having the Roughriders and the Rough Riders in the same 9 team league. It seemed so small town, so ''provincial,'' so Mickey Mouse, one might say. ''Can't they come up with a better name?'' And this was when I preferred the NFL over the CFL.

Well, even the Eskimos as a team name seems odd. And now there is the issue over its being offensive to an ethnic group.

Blue Bombers. As a child I wondered about that one.

Alouettes. Same thing.

Argonauts. Same thing.

Tiger-Cats. Why the hyphenated name, I wondered?

I would suggest now that some of these names do not reflect the work of marketing people with good instincts. For very old teams there was no marketing department.

Small town? Provincial? Yup. And at this point, I do not care. Mom and Pop league? Maybe. But top level football, imo.

As Toppy points out, there are some bizarre team names out there, although not so much in the NFL. That league does have issues with the names Redskins and Chiefs. MLB has issues with Braves and Indians. Et cetera.

NHL. When the Sharks came in, the fans sniffed at the Maple Leafs for the name and logo. Fair enough.

We know now how important all these things (logos, names, slogans, even colours) are in marketing.

RedBlacks? REDBLACKS? Not impressed, but the lumberjack connection is cool, except maybe when one thinks of the Monty Python skit. Ha ha

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I think we are all right to some degree. At the end of the day, all teams names will have arguments in favour of and against them. I never liked RedBlacks myself but I got used to it over time and now it doesn't really matter. It's an Ottawa team and if Ottawa fans are okay with it, not my business to show them the error of their ways :wink:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:30 am
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluenose

Its racing record was quite impressive, as well as carrying cargo. And it was a beautful ship, in my opinion. The original is long gone.

The_Famous_Bluenose_(Restored).jpg

bluenose2-848px-compressor.jpg
It's kind of funny how the original got treated before it became a Canadian icon. We loved it so much it was sold off, used as a cheap freighter, mast cut off, rigging gone and ending up on a reef in the Caribbean. A very ignominious end for a classic ship and no amount of reverence these days will ever make up for that I'm afraid.
CardiacKid
Legend

I wonder if the City of Halifax or Dartmouth would be willing to provide the land (if they have a large enough chunk) for a stadium at a very reduced rate as part of the municipal contribution?

If the treasure hunters on Oak Island strike it stinking rich over the next couple of years, maybe they will have to surrender $200m to the Nova Scotia government if they want to take the rest of their discovered loot to the States?!?!?