Atlantic Schooners

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

CardiacKid wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:20 am
I wonder if the City of Halifax or Dartmouth would be willing to provide the land (if they have a large enough chunk) for a stadium at a very reduced rate as part of the municipal contribution?

If the treasure hunters on Oak Island strike it stinking rich over the next couple of years, maybe they will have to surrender $200m to the Nova Scotia government if they want to take the rest of their discovered loot to the States?!?!?
The team and others in the effort seem to have settled on land in the area of Shannon Park which is on the Dartmouth side of Halifax Harbour. It's easy to see why as road access from just about everywhere is right there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon_Park,_Nova_Scotia
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

CardiacKid wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:20 am
I wonder if the City of Halifax or Dartmouth would be willing to provide the land (if they have a large enough chunk) for a stadium at a very reduced rate as part of the municipal contribution?

If the treasure hunters on Oak Island strike it stinking rich over the next couple of years, maybe they will have to surrender $200m to the Nova Scotia government if they want to take the rest of their discovered loot to the States?!?!?
I think the land for the stadium has already been secured/donated.

And they have already struck it rich on Oak Island, its called a successful TV series. :wink:
Me, I don't watch it.
BC 1988
Legend

https://www.tsn.ca/schooners-plan-enter ... -1.1251888
An update on the Schooners. It sounds like their goals may be unrealistic--a basic stadium like BMO Field, but with a dome? For $130 million?

We wont have long to wait before it's "go or no-go".

Also Saint John, Antigonish, or back to Moncton are being considered for the Aug 25th MTL-TOR game, since there is nothing suitable in Halifax-Dartmouth.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:09 am
https://www.tsn.ca/schooners-plan-enter ... -1.1251888
An update on the Schooners. It sounds like their goals may be unrealistic--a basic stadium like BMO Field, but with a dome? For $130 million?

We wont have long to wait before it's "go or no-go".

Also Saint John, Antigonish, or back to Moncton are being considered for the Aug 25th MTL-TOR game, since there is nothing suitable in Halifax-Dartmouth.
I think that dome reference would be an inflatable type dome over the playing surface that would allow the facility to be used for a variety of purposes all year around. The U of Alberta installed one at Foote Field in December 2016. Costs was $3.7M. It covers the track and football/soccer field. They erect it in November and remove it at the end of April. I believe the Eskimos have committed to funding a similar one for Commonwealth.

https://www.ualberta.ca/athletics/conne ... r-business
BC 1988
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:29 pm
I think that dome reference would be an inflatable type dome over the playing surface that would allow the facility to be used for a variety of purposes all year around. The U of Alberta installed one at Foote Field in December 2016. Costs was $3.7M. It covers the track and football/soccer field. They erect it in November and remove it at the end of April. I believe the Eskimos have committed to funding a similar one for Commonwealth.

Thanks for the "dome" explanation. I wonder how durable the Foote Field dome has proven to be now in it's 3rd winter of use.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:48 pm
Hambone wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:29 pm

Thanks for the "dome" explanation. I wonder how durable the Foote Field dome has proven to be now in it's 3rd winter of use.
They are quite commonly used across North America and other parts of the world and have been for many years. The technology surrounding them should be well proven by now. Durability shouldn't be an issue. If they are having problems already then they bought a lemon.
BC 1988
Legend

https://montrealgazette.com/pmn/sports- ... 7ad744dce4
Along with the annoucement that Touchdown Atlantic returns to Moncton (rather than Saint John or Antigonish), Schooners partner LeBlanc concedes that if they start play in 2020, they will be in Moncton "for the first season or two". He also repeated that the end of June will be the go or no go date for pursuing a franchise.
D
Team Captain

I'm an hour out of Moncton and 90 Mins to Halifax so I'm looking forward to it and hopefully there will be a team out here! And hey who wouldn't love a team named after a Beer Glass :beer:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

In their latest bid to obtain municipal, provincial and federal support, the Schooners unveiled plans Saturday for a permanent multi-use 12,000-seat Halifax stadium that could be expanded to 26,000 seats for CFL games, with the extra 14,000 seats paid for by the team's promoters.

Atlantic Schooners group unveils stadium, new funding approach
DanoT
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:48 am
In their latest bid to obtain municipal, provincial and federal support, the Schooners unveiled plans Saturday for a permanent multi-use 12,000-seat Halifax stadium that could be expanded to 26,000 seats for CFL games, with the extra 14,000 seats paid for by the team's promoters.

Atlantic Schooners group unveils stadium, new funding approach
If it is a $130M stadium, then government will need to contribute $70M. Seems to me that right now the Trudeau Liberals might be desperate enough to consider buying votes in the Maritimes for the coming October election.
BC 1988
Legend

https://beta.canada.com/sports/football ... 180af/amp/
Ambrosie commented on a few things last week--when the topic of the Atlantic Schooners came up, he said this:
“I speak to them regularly, they were in to do an update to our board of governors in May,” said Ambrosie. “There is still optimism. They’re working with local government, they’re working with Halifax regional council, they’re working with the province. You’re not, at the end, going to be scored on how much effort you put in, you’re only going to be scored on whether you cross the goal line and get that stadium built. You’re either getting the stadium and you join the league or you don’t get the stadium and you don’t.”
Sounds like he's not overly optimistic.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:52 pm
https://beta.canada.com/sports/football ... 180af/amp/
Ambrosie commented on a few things last week--when the topic of the Atlantic Schooners came up, he said this:
“I speak to them regularly, they were in to do an update to our board of governors in May,” said Ambrosie. “There is still optimism. They’re working with local government, they’re working with Halifax regional council, they’re working with the province. You’re not, at the end, going to be scored on how much effort you put in, you’re only going to be scored on whether you cross the goal line and get that stadium built. You’re either getting the stadium and you join the league or you don’t get the stadium and you don’t.”
Sounds like he's not overly optimistic.
Nothing new here as it has always been "Show me the stadium".
BC 1988
Legend

True. Also the lack of anything from the Schooners ownership group close to the (self-imposed) late June deadline is not encouraging.

Apparently, ticket sales for Touchdown Atlantic are going very slowly--they tried adjusting the game start time to help with that.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:38 pm
True. Also the lack of anything from the Schooners ownership group close to the (self-imposed) late June deadline is not encouraging.

Apparently, ticket sales for Touchdown Atlantic are going very slowly--they tried adjusting the game start time to help with that.
Speaking of slow sales how about the Raiders/Packers exhibition game in Winnipeg? Grossly overpriced they are already proving a tough sell not unlike the failed Bills in Toronto series. Cheapest price is $169 for upper deck corner sections. A couple more sections in the upper deck between the 15 and side of the end zone go for $192. Between the 15's and 30's go for $243. Upper deck seats between the 30's are listed at $330. Lower bowl seats start at $267 for back of the end zone. Corner of the end zone goes for $341. Things go up from there to $399 for midfield on the regular seating on the one side and $439 on the other side for what are more like club seats. Needless to say sales for the sections under $200 appear to be going good along with some of the higher end seats. Sales for lower bowl seating from the 15's on down into the corners and backs of the end zones is almost non-existent.

https://www1.ticketmaster.ca/oakland-ra ... BCE5604DAF
Last edited by Hambone on Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:27 am
BC 1988 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:38 pm

Speaking of slow sales how about the Raiders/Packers exhibition game in Winnipeg? Grossly overpriced they are already proving a tough sell not unlike the failed Bills in Toronto series. Cheapest price is $169 for upper deck corner sections. A couple more sections in the upper deck between the 15 and side of the end zone go for $192. Between the 15's and 30's go for $243. Upper deck seats between the 30's are listed at $330. Lower bowl seats start at $267 for back of the end zone. Corner of the end zone goes for $341. Things for up from there to $399 for midfield on the regular seating on the one side and $439 on the other side for what are more like club seats. Needless to say sales for the sections under $200 appear to be going good along with some of the higher end seats. Lower bowl seating from the 15's on down into the corners and backs of the end zones is almost non-existent.

https://www1.ticketmaster.ca/oakland-ra ... BCE5604DAF
Do you know if those prices are similar to what the Packers charge for home pre season games? It sure seems over priced to me.