2019 BC Lions Free Agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

As per Lowell Ullrich:
Offence (18) – Bryan Burnham, Ricky Collins, Cody Fajardo, Joel Figueroa, Chris Greaves, Cody Husband, Jon Jennings, Jeremiah Johnson, Travis Lulay, Wayne Moore, Jovan Olafioye, Chris Rainey, Hunter Steward, Cory Watson, Shaq Johnson, Manny Arceneaux, Brandon Rutley, Anthony Parker

Defence (13) – Micah Awe, Otha Foster, T.J. Lee, Shawn Lemon, Bo Lokombo, Ivan McLennan, Anthony Orange, Garry Peters, Winston Rose, Anthony Thompson, Odell Willis, Maxx Forde, Dominique Termansen

Special teams (3) – Mitch Barnett, Dyshawn Davis, Ty Long
From that list, I could see Burnham, Figueroa (surprised he only signed a 1-year deal), Steward, Shaq Johnson, Foster, Lee, Lemon, Lokombo, McLennan, Orange, and Rose back.

Willis is iffy given his age, though I'd like for him to be back. Long will be back if he doesn't get NFL interest. I could maybe see Thompson back too as he did improve this year over last.
Roar you Lions roar!
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I am hoping new coach does not prefer Sutton to Johnson.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The_Pauser wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:25 pm
Long will be back if he doesn't get NFL interest.
Long will get NFL interest and plenty of it. There is absolutely no doubt about that. Only questions are whether teams see him as a placekicker or punter and where he signs. He may be back but it won't be until after Labour Day at the earliest. Long was 87.8% this year and 88.2% on his career. Too many placekickers down there kicking in the 82-83% level and lower. Seems like every week I see a half dozen "highlights" of kickers missing or hitting uprights. The past week the Bears' kicker missed 2 of 2 FGs and 2 of 4 converts as he hit the uprights 4 times.

Even if Long were to go down south and be a final cut I wouldn't expect him to return right away. He'd be nuts to do that. One thing I've noticed about the NFL over the past several years is they typically have limited patience when it comes to their kickers. If their kicker, placekicker or punter and especially placekicker, is struggling they rarely give them much time to work their way out of it. It's buh-bye and a new kicker is brought in. Cleveland cut their PK after Week 2. The Chargers replaced their kicker 2 weeks ago. Tampa cut their kicker 2 days ago. The Rams are on their 3rd kicker. Odds are pretty good that a kicker who doesn't stick with his team at the end of camp will get a call before the season is over.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:53 am
Herdman extended for 2 more years

https://www.bclions.com/2018/11/14/lion ... sion-2020/
^^^This is good news as Herman certainly has exceed my expectations as it is very early in his career and he seems to already have very good football instincts. :yahoo:
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Flip that list the other way and think about what is potentially left on the worst case scenario of none returning.

2018 starters under contract for 2019:

Offence: David Foucault, Tyrell Sutton and with an asterisk Andrew Peirson. While he was a replacement for injured starter Cody Husband I think he may have done enough that Husband won't be offered a new deal.

Defence: Coleman, Luke, Elimimian

Special Teams: Mike Benson

Included in that list of 34 are 4/5 of the starting OL, all 5 starting receivers, all 3 QBs, starting tailback until trade for Sutton, 1/2 of the starting DL (both DEs), the entire secondary and our all-world PK/P.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I think it is unlikely Hambone that none return. Hervey said when signing Herdman that he wants a core of current Lions to build around, so I expect at least 3 or 4 returning.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:26 pm
I think it is unlikely Hambone that none return. Hervey said when signing Herdman that he wants a core of current Lions to build around, so I expect at least 3 or 4 returning.
That's why I said worse case scenario. It won't wind up being that way but nonetheless shows how Hervey is literally starting from scratch on the decision-making and recruiting process. I'd guess maybe half return. Question is which half?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:17 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:26 pm
That's why I said worse case scenario. It won't wind up being that way but nonetheless shows how Hervey is literally starting from scratch on the decision-making and recruiting process. I'd guess maybe half return. Question is which half?
I expect the vast majority of the Lions’ FAs to be re-signed before February. They’re mostly Hervey’s guys. It’s much easier and cheaper for Hervey to sign his own FAs than to wait for other teams’ FAs to hit the open market. Quarterbacks and a few high-end position players will likely be left unsigned until the new coach is hired and the potential impact of the CBA and salary cap are more clear.
CardiacKid
Legend

Total hunch but I think the Lions will be making a significant play for Willie Jefferson.

The Riders tried going with an offensive unit that was clearly lightweight and is in obvious need of reinforcements. But if they are going to splash money out on some offensive stars, it will need to come from somewhere. They will likely need to surrender some of their best players on D to make it all fit.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:49 pm
Quarterbacks and a few high-end position players will likely be left unsigned until the new coach is hired and the potential impact of the CBA and salary cap are more clear.

That will be the really interesting aspect of this year's free agency. I fully expect the impact of the CBA and especially cap will not be clear until literally the eve of training camp. If Ambrosie and the BOG stick to their guns on not allowing signing bonuses to be paid before an agreement is in place there may be more than a couple of teams still not knowing if they have a legit starting QB literally until Day 1 of training camp. The timeline of the current CBA saw the tentative agreement not happening until June 8th which about a week after training camp began and the day before the first exhibition game. It wasn't ratified until June 14th. The previous CBA saw the tentative agreement worked out on May 27th which was about roughly a week before training camps opened. The first exhibition game in 2010 was on June 13th.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:00 pm
Total hunch but I think the Lions will be making a significant play for Willie Jefferson.

The Riders tried going with an offensive unit that was clearly lightweight and is in obvious need of reinforcements. But if they are going to splash money out on some offensive stars, it will need to come from somewhere. They will likely need to surrender some of their best players on D to make it all fit.
Jefferson will go to the NFL,or back to the Riders
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:56 pm
CardiacKid wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:00 pm

Jefferson will go to the NFL,or back to the Riders
^^^agreed
DanoT
Hall of Famer

I think the best way for GMs to deal with the uncertainty of the CBA in terms of date signed and SMS amount, is to offer a variable contract. So if SMS is X dollars, the key player gets Y dollars, and if the SMS goes as high as X+, then the player gets Y+. It is simple, really.
CardiacKid
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:35 pm
I am hoping new coach does not prefer Sutton to Johnson.
X2