"Who will succeed Buono in B.C.?" -- DeVone Claybrooks is the man.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/10/23/offer-can ... -buono-bc/
AN OFFER YOU CAN’T REFUSE: WHO WILL SUCCEED BUONO IN BC?

CHRIS O'LEARY

The BC Lions are the biggest story in the CFL right now. Sitting at 3-6 on Labour Day weekend, the Lions have gone on a 6-1 tear that no one outside of their locker room saw coming. They’ve clinched a playoff spot and if the chips fall in their favour over the final two weeks of the season, they could actually end up hosting the Western Semi-Final on Nov. 11.

It’s shaping up to be a storybook ending for Wally Buono, who will retire when this season is over, putting a cap on a 45-year career in the CFL as a player, coach and GM.

The focus is largely on Buono and the Lions right now, but there’s a less pleasant matter hanging over the organization as it works to push its season to the end of November. At some point next month, the Lions will need a new head coach.

You can bet that Lions GM Ed Hervey has had it more front and centre than most of us. Hervey has had to make two coaching hires in his executive career. He landed Chris Jones in 2013 and when Jones and his staff jumped to Saskatchewan after the Esks’ Grey Cup win in 2015, he pulled Jason Maas from Ottawa.

Where will he look for the 2019 BC Lions? Let’s start with what should be the most prominent candidates.

Mark Washington

The Lions’ defensive coordinator’s name has been speculated about already this year as a potential Buono replacement. The way the Lions’ defence has played this season should only help his cause, if he wants to pursue the job. It would be his first head coaching gig, but Washington could provide a smooth transition as a head coach. He played under Buono from 2003 to 2007 in BC, then joined his coaching staff in 2008. He came in as a defensive backs coach and assumed defensive coordinator duties in 2014. A Grey Cup winner as a player (2006) and a coach (2011), Washington understands what the organization is about.

DeVone Claybrooks

The Calgary Stampeders’ DC has been a hot commodity for a few years, so he’d be a natural on any potential coach list, whether you’re a GM or a lowly writer type tapping away on a rainy day in Toronto. Claybrooks could have had the Alouettes job last year and passed on it, choosing to continue chasing a Grey Cup in Calgary and to further develop one of the toughest defences in the league. He’s only in his seventh season of coaching (four as the Stamps’ D-line coach and now three as the DC), but Claybrooks is seen around the league as ready to make the jump to head coach.

DEVONE CLAYBROOKS IS CONSIDERED ONE OF THE CFL’S TOP UP-AND-COMING COACHES (DAVID MOLL/STAMPEDERS.COM)

Corey Chamblin

Chamblin’s resume speaks for itself. He won a Grey Cup as the Riders’ head coach in 2013 and spent 2017 as the Argos’ defensive coordinator. The Argos merely stunned the league last year, going from five wins to nine, then upending Calgary in the Grey Cup, with Chamblin’s defence making two of the key plays in the game (Cassius Vaughn’s 109-yard fumble return TD and Matt Black’s game-sealing interception). Chamblin has a firm grasp on the Canadian game and knows how to get results from his players. The only problem is he might be done with Canada.

Chamblin told The Athletic’s Sean Fitz-Gerald earlier this month that he wanted to take a shot at sticking as a coach in U.S. college football. He’s currently on staff at the University of Arkansas as a defensive quality control coach. If he could be persuaded to come back to the CFL, Chamblin would be a worthy candidate for the job.

Orlondo Steinauer

It’s assumed that Steinauer returned to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats this year as assistant head coach with a figurative dibs called (adults calling dibs on things is something that I wish happened a lot more) on the Ticats head coaching job down the road. A defensive coach in Toronto and Hamilton, from 2010 to 2016, Steinauer returned from a year at Fresno State and joined June Jones to study the offensive side of the game. The offensive work rounds Steinauer out as a head coaching candidate. What’s most impressive about Steinauer is the impact he has on his players. They sorely missed him last year when he was at Fresno and the team fell on hard times and they were overjoyed when he made his way back to Hamilton last winter. With Steinauer, a buy-in seems like a foregone conclusion.

ORLONDO STEINAUER HAS EXPANDED HIS PORTFOLIO IN HIS RETURN TO THE TICATS THIS SEASON (TICATS.CA)

Scott Milanovich

Maybe the offensive ying to Corey Chamblin’s defensive yang, Milanovich could in theory rejoin a CFL team and hit the ground running. His playing career covered the NFL, NFL Europe, the XFL, the Arena League and a year with the Calgary Stampeders. He understands the players that come to the CFL and his resume shows an understanding of the CFL’s offensive game. A disciple of Marc Trestman from their days in Montreal, Chamblin has won Grey Cups with Anthony Calvillo, then as a head coach in Toronto with Ricky Ray. Of course, the Lions would have to pull him from his current role as QBs coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Also available

Some dominoes would have to fall for it to happen, but if those dominoes were green and gold, would Hervey have an interest in some of the Esks coaches? He played with and hired Jason Maas in Edmonton and spent time around Mike Benevides, a former Lions coach, in 2016.

Paul LaPolice is highly qualified for the job but has seemed to be very happy in Winnipeg as the Blue Bombers’ offensive coordinator.

Marcus Brady has nine years’ experience as a CFL coach, but is just into his first season as the Indianapolis Colts’ assistant QB coach.

Kent Austin’s interests haven’t been confirmed, but he’s under contract this season and next to the Tiger-Cats, where he’s in a consultant role.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

2003-2018

16 years of this regime. Outlived cats and dogs in the households of fans. LOL

This fan was hoping for a clean sweep, a fresh start with all the talent on the roster.

A strong finish has changed things, possibly.

Washington? The regime continues. Wally tried Benevides, with Wally on the rooftop or cherry picker. He tried Tedford, although it seemed Tedford and Cortez did not get to run the offence they wanted to run, as with the tight ends recruited. I think we can surmise that Wally would want Mark Washington to succeed him. Could Mark W be a high level head coach? I don't even want to speculate, after years of leaky, mistake prone, soft zone defence, and then, finally, some success with pressure defence lately.

From the list provided by O'Leary none leap out as slam dunks to this fan. Not even Claybrooks. Jason Maas or Chris Jones if they get fired? Maas? No mas. Jones? He has shown some weaknesses. Not my job to hire the next HC. Just an observer, of course, with a strong interest in the proceedings.

Is Maas capable of toning it down, and leading a team as head coach? I think so. He knows the Xs and Os of offence. He lost the room in Edmonton with his over the top intensity. His defence under Benevides was awful, except for the front four. Benny seemed to run a lot of soft zone he learned out here with Wally.

Chris Jones is a great DC. He might know nothing about running an offence. Just kidding, but his offence in Regina is awful. Does he know how to handle QBs? I do like what he has done rehabilitating Collaros from the scrap heap Austin left him in.

Kent Austin? OMG. Way, way too intense. Ultra short life span as a coach. He can coach, until his pefectionism burns him out, along with his team. Can he change? I doubt it.

Steinauer? I would prefer an OC type.

Claybrooks? Same thing.

LaPolice. Sure. Good offensive coordinator.

Milanovich. I like him in many respects. A natural OC. QB developer, as with Collaros and Harris. I liked his old, weather-beaten Argos cap that he wore forever. No pretense with him. Just a boy from coal country. Ha ha Of the ones on the list, he would be my choice. He would try to give reporters straight answers. He handles QBs well imo. I think his players buy in. I would prefer an OC type of head coach, as with him.

scott-milanovich.jpg
Someone off the radar? Please, yes. I would prefer to have Ed Hervey bring in someone new. There are talented guys out there, even if somewhat off the radar.

Just IMO ...

And let us not forget that Braley just might not sell the team. And Braley, it seems to me, will be inclined to ask Wally to stay on once again.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

The_Pauser
Legend

From that list Devone Claybrooks really stands out, as someone who will be coming from a very successful organization, learning from the likes of Dave Dickenson and John Hufnagel. Will he even be interested? Who knows. I do agree that a fresh face is desirable. Someone from outside the organization who can bring in a new perspective, even if we do win the Grey Cup this year (as you always need to be improving and evolving).

At this point I think Ed Hervey has earned people's trust, though I would question any decision to hire Jason Maas if he becomes available. He hasn't been overly successful finishing 4th, 3rd, and possibly 5th this year, and has made some questionable decisions. Furthermore, does he have the temperament that we would want in a HC? And does he have the personality that this market needs? Vancouver is a fickle market.

Ideally a new HC will be cutting edge, X's and O's, a great strategist, but also someone who can help sell the product. Bonus points to someone who has some name value, but the aforementioned characteristics I think are a lot more pivotal.
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

My first choice would be Marc Trestman if he is available then Claybrooks.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Milanovich doesn't sound bad either.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
BC 1988
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:55 pm
And let us not forget that Braley just might not sell the team. And Braley, it seems to me, will be inclined to ask Wally to stay on once again.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I think Buono is leaving. I think he told Braley he is retiring for good and I for one I'm 100% confident he will retire after the season. I think it is just irrational fear he will be convinced to come back, especially after his farewell tour.

As for the new coach, no way Argos are firing Trestman. I think he is staying in Toronto with Popp who he is comfortable with.

My choice would be Claybrooks. Hands down he is the best candidate available. I hope it is not Washington. BC needs a fresh man and mostly a new coaching staff.

I also do not think Lions will win the Grey Cup. They have turned it around, but I still think Calgary will find a way to get it done. I can't see them losing 3 years in a row in the playoffs and think they will win one of their final 2 games to get first. Also think the Riders will finish 2nd and they will be very tough to beat in Regina.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Many of the names mentioned by O'Leary were discussed here last month.
B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:23 pm
I'd love for the next head coach to have a background on offence to match wits with the likes of Dave Dickenson, Jason Maas, Marc Trestman and June Jones, all of whom serve as their own offensive coordinators. That doesn't leave a lot of candidates among current offensive coordinators.

The biggest name among current OCs is Paul LaPolice but he likely stands to inherit the Winnipeg HC position from Mike O'Shea after this season or next if the Bombers continue to falter. Jaime Elizondo in Ottawa is another successful offensive coordinator but as far as I know he has no previous head coaching experience at any level and has never worked in the West. That leaves Saskatchewan's Stephen McAdoo (no thanks) and the two most recent B.C. OCs, Jarious Jackson and Khari Jones, both of whom have had little experience and success designing an offence. Former Argo head coach Scott Milanovich would be a possible outside hire but he seems solidly entrenched as QB coach of the undefeated Jacksonville Jaguars. Perhaps Jacques Chapdelaine can be lured back. :wink:
I still want to see a coach with a background as an offensive coordinator. LaPolice would be the best candidate but he's likely off the table unless Mike O'Shea gets an extension this winter, and he still may not want to leave Winnipeg. Trestman and Milanovich are also not likely to come free soon. Jason Maas might, but I can't see him hooking up with Ed Hervey again and wouldn't want to see him here.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

One of the more interesting guys on O'Leary's list is Orlando Steinauer who was a D coach in the past with TiCats and Argos and is now assistant HC with the TiCats and studying the O under June Jones. Makes for a well rounded HC in the future.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

DanoT wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:17 pm
One of the more interesting guys on O'Leary's list is Orlando Steinauer who was a D coach in the past with TiCats and Argos and is now assistant HC with the TiCats and studying the O under June Jones. Makes for a well rounded HC in the future.
Agreed. That seems like a savvy move on Steinauer's part to expand his portfolio. In addition, the mention on how much his players buy in to him as coach/leader caught my attention. A viable candidate, as are several others on the list and off it.

That said, I'm still beautifully dreaming (irrationally? of course!) that in some parallel universe that will then magically glom on and commandeer our own known reality, Huff and Dave D. will shock even themselves by voiding their contracts with Calgary during the winter and come galloping over the Rockies to the west coast. Huff and Hervey will then blissfully commence to play good cop/bad cop co-GMs, working in beautiful tandem till time out of mind, and Dave D. will take over the sideline reins and eventually have a longer and even more successful career than even Wally... "Sweet dreams are made of this, who am I to disagree?"

Now, back to reality...
Rammer
Team Captain

Looking at what the Lions have right now, and it seems to be working, it is the O that needs tweaking more than anything. So ideally I would select an HC that has an offensive background. I personally like Claybrooks, his D is what makes the rest of the Stamps run, plus it weakens a divisional opponent that I would like to see take a step back.

Hervey would have to see what each candidate can bring to the coaching staff and go from there, still like LaPolice who has done well with his limited talent in Bomberland. QB's are doing better than they should, and riding the one true talent has given them most of their offence.

My final ideas are, Claybrook, then LaPolice.
Entertainment value = an all time low
South Pender
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:41 pm
My first choice would be Marc Trestman if he is available then Claybrooks.
Yes, TheLionKing, I couldn't agree more about Trestman. I guess my hope would be that he will, by now, have tired of his travails with the Argos and will be open to a new start with the Lions. Unlikely for sure, but one can hope. I agree with those who see an offense-oriented guy as what we need. Leave the defense to a good DC, perhaps replacing Washington. Maybe Claybrooks would like to move to the coast as Lions DC....
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:18 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:55 pm
Ha ha. Yes, the horror. But the Old Fox does adapt, reluctantly, kicking and screaming, when forced to do so, by poor resulits on the field.

* Hiring Hervey to address and bring a sharper, modern view of personnel needs.

* Letting Mark W dip his toes in the waters of pressure defence.

*Letting Jarious bring in RPO. Ooops, and letting Jarious seemingly abandon it, going back to a CFL modified spread offence.

* Bringing in Reinebold to modernize, customize and update the ST plans, to a degree.

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I would not like Maas in BC. I think he is a minus to the Esks.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The key issues are:

1. If a DC or OC now, how does the person sees the role of HC and what kind of coaching staff can they assemble.

2. What do they think of the Lions personnel and what do they think is needed to build this into a winning organization like Calgary. Who is their QB / who do they want?

3. What is their philosophy going to be and how will they develop a winning culture.

Paul LaPolice would have had to learn he can't do too many jobs to be a good HC versus a very good OC. The issue in an interview and background checking is whether he is best suited to remain as an OC.

Orlando Steinhauer is an unknown other than as a very good DC and popular with players on both sides of the ball. He and Tommy Condell as the OC with Kent Austin were great fits.

Kent Austin would be given his release in a heart beat if had another job lined up. He's great at getting a team pulling in the right direction quickly but his last year with the Ticats where he refused to sit Zach Collaros if for no other reason he was getting killed nearly ruined both of their careers.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy