"Who will succeed Buono in B.C.?" -- DeVone Claybrooks is the man.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Argo57
prospect

No surprise Steinauer has decided to stay in Hamilton, June Jones has done a nice job but is a short term solution as HC.
Argonauts are formally interviewing Claybrooks today, LaPolice and Elizondo tomorrow.
Tommy Condell and Noel Thorpe have already been interviewed.
Some very solid candidates with only 2 CFL HC vacancies should be an interesting few days!
Dusty
Champion

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:06 pm
According to Dave Naylor:

/2) Look for Orlondo Steinauer to be @Ticats head coach in 2020 or possibly 2019. The 2019 scenario would involve June Jones stepping down as head coach or stepping sideways to become Hamilton’s offensive co-ordinator. #CFL #Ticats
It is now confirmed that the 2019 scenario will happen, namely that Steinauer will be Head Coach and Jones will move to OC and Asst. HC. Ticats seem very well set-up with coaching.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Dusty wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:44 am
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:06 pm
According to Dave Naylor:

/2) Look for Orlondo Steinauer to be @Ticats head coach in 2020 or possibly 2019. The 2019 scenario would involve June Jones stepping down as head coach or stepping sideways to become Hamilton’s offensive co-ordinator. #CFL #Ticats
It is now confirmed that the 2019 scenario will happen, namely that Steinauer will be Head Coach and Jones will move to OC and Asst. HC. Ticats seem very well set-up with coaching.
A win win for the Ti-Cats. So is it Claybrooks or bust for the Lions now?
I would really love to know the status of the remaining assistants.
If Hervey is hitched to Jackson, his chances of remaining OC would be better with Claybrooks. Washington is likely out or at the very least his defensive philosophy is.
An offensive minded head coach would for certain reduce Jackson’s impact even if he stays OC.

Hopeful it will be a fresh start on both sides of the ball but it might be wishful thinking.
David
Team Captain

Okay, can someone fill me in as to how Hamilton keeps Steinhauer, Jones, Glanville, and Austin under the league's new management system? They always seem a very top-heavy organization to me, at least for the past 5-6 years.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
JohnnyMusso
Champion

The Toronto Argonauts will interview Corey Chamblin for their head coaching job Monday, according to a report from TSN Football Insider Dave Naylor.

I think he will get the job. They already know him and speculation has been from the beginning that he will be the Argos next coach.

So Argos interview 6 or 7 guys so far and BC just one? Is Hervey being very secretive or he is just focused on getting Claybrookes and if not then move on to Plan B.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:04 pm
Is Hervey being very secretive or he is just focused on getting Claybrookes and if not then move on to Plan B.
Hervey prioritizes message control. It's not a conspiracy, it's just kind of the way he rolls. I get the personality type.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

The approach of the Argos seems to leak any news to the media to help publicize the team. I think Corey C will get that job, for they want a guy who has been a head coach and he had success there as an assistant and can keep most of the current coaching staff.

The Lions wants to keep everything under the wraps and only the news of Claybrookes interviewing leaked out. I am sure there are others interviewing including Mark Washington and Jamie E.

By the end of the week, I am sure a little more news will have leaked out and maybe another pending free agent or 2 will have signed.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/12/03/decision- ... one-jones/

(Scratch Orlondo Steinauer off the shopping list.)

This CFL fan is very impressed once again with June Jones. How many Head Coaches offer to step down a level, to OC in this case,, as they age, to allow a promising young assistant to become the new Head Coach? Jones has a huge resume, with many, many stops along the way. He seems like a very low maintenance kind of employee. IMO he is an absolute master of the Xs and Os of football offence. He has groomed countless quarterbacks. And he willingly steps aside for Orlondo Steinauer.

It is the right move. Jones is retirement age, but still loves the game. It seems that money is not really an issue for him.

Amazing.

Glad to have him in the CFL. I recall Chuck Noll of the Steelers, when asked how he wanted to be remembered, answered: "As a teacher." That is June Jones. :thup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_Jones

2018-12-03_1919.png
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:35 pm
The approach of the Argos seems to leak any news to the media to help publicize the team. I think Corey C will get that job, for they want a guy who has been a head coach and he had success there as an assistant and can keep most of the current coaching staff.

The Lions wants to keep everything under the wraps and only the news of Claybrookes interviewing leaked out. I am sure there are others interviewing including Mark Washington and Jamie E.

By the end of the week, I am sure a little more news will have leaked out and maybe another pending free agent or 2 will have signed.

I doubt the Argos are leaking anything but it's Toronto and it's hard to keep things quiet there with all those CFL eyes on what they do. It's possible that it came from inside but that's not usual that a team says who they are talking to.

A plausible story is that the teams who give permission to interview their staff are the possibly the best sources.

Different media releasing the names too:

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/11/30/rumour-mi ... oronto-bc/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

All signs seem to point to Corey Chamblin in Toronto. Paul LaPolice has reportedly withdrawn his name from the Argos' search. I hope he finds his way to B.C.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:00 am
All signs seem to point to Corey Chamblin in Toronto. Paul LaPolice has reportedly withdrawn his name from the Argos' search. I hope he finds his way to B.C.
I would be happy if Chamblin signs in Toronto. He is not high on my "list." Leave the field of candidates to us.

I would consider LaPo kind of the safe pick, BCFAN. I would support it of course. Xs and Os expertise in football offence. A championship-level leader as Head Coach? Not sure.

Who amongst the top candidates has championship-level leadership? Again, not sure. That is up to Ed Hervey to determine. Maybe Claybrooks? Is he an Xs and Ox expert, or more of a natural leader of men? He sure gets results out of his players.

I like Noel Thorpe and Jaime Elizondo also. But it comes down to the same question. Can they lead a team to the title? I think they have shown they can guide a defence and an offence to very high level performance.

Choosing the right Head Coach is not like getting the right answers on a test. It comes down to judging men, and I don't think that is an exact science.

In any case, I think we will get a very competent coach, fully versed in the Xs and Ox of at least one side of the ball.

Just IMO.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:00 am

I suspect that Paul LaPolice who has already experienced the loss of a HC role - deservedly or not - has a pretty good gig as OC with a team that looks to keep improving and his wife/family/him love WPG.

If true, this might suggest four things:

1. It'd take a pretty good situation where he feels he could turn it around before he'd leap at it.

2. If stuck with the current staff he might be seeing some of the remaining coaches as problem areas which they were.

3. Read on CFL.ca some fan who suggests that other than with Trestman, that Popp's hires end up with him hiring himself as HC lol.

4. The fans on that site suggest that Trestman got fired on the team bus over the phone and told not to come in the next day at all. That suggests the upper management from the ownership might not be the best environment and Lapo who spent time at TSN in Toronto would have some good local contacts to confirm this sort of stuff - if it is true or just fan BS.

5 Part of me suggests that if Lapo were going to take a HC this year it would have been in Toronto. Maybe he's hoping that O'Shea will eventually take that job on. Farhan's tweet said he thought Lapo was a fit in TO. I'm reading that he possibly knows that Lapo would not want to be a West Coast HC.

-----

Orlando Steinhauer in his interview said he's learned a lot and saw in football over the years and always watches how players respond to coaches - that's why he wants Jones and Glanville there - as well as how hard they worked on game planning etc. He's also seen knowledgable coaches who were average teachers and average teachers who were highly knowledgeable.

Given the odd set up in Hamilton where the 3 person Football Operations group headed by GM Eric Tillman and staffed by two other A/GMs (and now includes Consultant Kent Austin ) is actually listed underneath the coaching staff on their website, it was not surprising that Steinauer just references the owner Bob Young and hands on CEO Scott Mitchell in his introduction as HC.

Their CEO said while none of the GMs and A/GMs are under contract yet for next season, he says the three are are expected to be back.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Matt Baker
Rookie

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:20 pm
https://www.cfl.ca/2018/12/03/decision- ... one-jones/

(Scratch Orlondo Steinauer off the shopping list.)

This CFL fan is very impressed once again with June Jones. How many Head Coaches offer to step down a level, to OC in this case,, as they age, to allow a promising young assistant to become the new Head Coach? Jones has a huge resume, with many, many stops along the way. He seems like a very low maintenance kind of employee. IMO he is an absolute master of the Xs and Os of football offence. He has groomed countless quarterbacks. And he willingly steps aside for Orlondo Steinauer.

It is the right move. Jones is retirement age, but still loves the game. It seems that money is not really an issue for him.

Amazing.

Glad to have him in the CFL. I recall Chuck Noll of the Steelers, when asked how he wanted to be remembered, answered: "As a teacher." That is June Jones. :thup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_Jones

2018-12-03_1919.png
Since he's been in Hamilton, June Jones doesn't even take a salary. Donates it to charity, at least last year anyway. Just seems like a guy who loves football, loves coaching and wants to stay in the game. And yeah this move for him all about taking one for the team. You don't lure back Steinauer from a year in the NCAA just to lose him to another team one year later.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Arash Madani says DeVone Claybrooks will be named Lions head coach later this week.
The_Pauser
Legend

http://3downnation.com/2018/12/04/repor ... ead-coach/

Love the news!!!

[Let's keep the posts on a new Head Coach in one thread for now. The Madani item appears to be speculation. Mod Staff]
Last edited by The_Pauser on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roar you Lions roar!