Media coverage

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Kamloops Lion
All Star

Then there was this from LU at the BC-Hamilton game:

“. . . a different kind of new low was reached Saturday when for the first time in at least the last two decades, not a single mainstream media member from Vancouver or Hamilton took in the game from the press box outside of a very lonely Canadian Press reporter and those who draw cheques from broadcast rightsholders or who produce content for either league or team websites.
There are no other words needed. Sad, indeed. Wonder if anyone at the league level notices the continuation of a disturbing trend of disinterest.”

I know full well the challenges with resources the media faces. It is difficult as hell to cover half as much as you wish to cover,
But when I see the Sun/Province flew Patrick Johnston to Calgary to cover an exhibition game and had nobody at a regular-season CFL game that had massive playoff implications, my head explodes.
It does go to show even a horrid Canucks’ team playing a pre-season tilt a province away gets more clicks and views than do the Leos.
But I think the newspapers of record should have staffed the football game and produced some interesting articles and used CP copy from Calgary for hockey coverage. Instead, it was vice versa.
Sad all around.
David
Team Captain

I get the cutbacks and limited staff to cover all sporting events, but I agree, someone should have been at the football game other than just Jim Morris from Canadian Press. Even Hamilton didn't send anyone west.

I am not sure what Ed Willes or JJ Adams were doing. They normally cover the team. In fairness, PostMedia did send Willes to Montreal last week to cover the Leos. That had to be expensive. Still, if you don't like the way the club is covered in the Sun or Province, I would encourage you to contact Chappy. He is normally a pretty reasonable guy.

Deputy Editor, Digital & Sports
Paul Chapman 604-605-2078
pchapman@postmedia.com

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sad. No excuses
squishy35
Legend

I miss the quirky and enthusiastic coverage of Jim Taylor..... :(
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Man, listening to 3rd Down Radio last night LU's final words sure made it sound like this might be his final season involved in Lions coverage. Almost like he felt now would be a good time to bow out with Wally's departure too. A massive loss if true.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:22 am
Man, listening to 3rd Down Radio last night LU's final words sure made it sound like this might be his final season involved in Lions coverage. Almost like he felt now would be a good time to bow out with Wally's departure too. A massive loss if true.
I heard that too. I thought at first that he might be mulling a full retirement but I suspect it's more of the usual uncertainty surrounding next year's budget and programming in a competitive media market. With or without LU, more Lions coverage is desperately needed on TSN 1040. I listened to the full two-hour broadcast last night. It's the most I've listened to that station in months. I don't want to hear hockey talk every time I turn on the radio.
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:32 am
SammyGreene wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:22 am
I heard that too. I thought at first that he might be mulling a full retirement but I suspect it's more of the usual uncertainty surrounding next year's budget and programming in a competitive media market. With or without LU, more Lions coverage is desperately needed on TSN 1040. I listened to the full two-hour broadcast last night. It's the most I've listened to that station in months. I don't want to hear hockey talk every time I turn on the radio.
Just when I think the city/province has abandoned our Leos, over 24,000 enthusiastic fans show up to a meaningless final game for Wally's send-off, then yesterday the Leos practice facility was a media mob scene for garbage bag day. I don't know the official number of accredited media present but it was substantial. I realize Wally was the centre of both circumstances but it was still good to see interest in the club. :thup:

Yes, there would be a chasm if LU departed, but I still believe the Leos get decent coverage on TSN1040. You just have to know when to tune in. I follow the station on Twitter and they always tweet out program guests, that way I know when to tune in to bypass near constant the hockey talk. I even got the sense Halford and Brough (NFL guys through and through) had more Leos coverage as the season wore on. They did a great interview with Ed Hervey yesterday. They clearly knew what they were talking about.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Farhan can fill that void
SammyGreene
Team Captain

The ever changing sports television landscape with TSN/Sportsnet losing EPL rights next season to streaming.

Next TV contract for the CFL will be an interesting one with word already being less money based on lower ratings and fewer using cable
In a move that promises to shift the landscape of Canadian soccer consumption, DAZN, a subscription-based internet streaming service, has acquired the English Premier League broadcast rights beginning next season, according to two sources familiar with the company’s business.

The three-year contract, which snatches the domestic rights from Sportsnet and TSN, will be officially announced early next year, according to one of the sources, who requested anonymity. Officials from neither Sportsnet nor TSN immediately responded to messages from The Athletic.

Every EPL match will be made available for subscribers, both live and on demand. As one source said: Viewers will not “have to wake up early.”

The service will cost $150 a year.
David
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:19 pm
Next TV contract for the CFL will be an interesting one with word already being less money based on lower ratings and fewer using cable
If I am Ambrosie, I am selling the league on the promise of more viewers from Atlantic provinces once the Schooners become reality. TSN deal runs to the end of 2021, the same year the league **hopes** to have the new team up and running.

CFL regular season ratings actually grew in 2018 (see below), before that colossal nosedive at the Grey Cup. Thud. A 23% viewership loss, year over year.

http://3downnation.com/2018/11/10/cfl-r ... -increase/

Roar, You Lions, Roar