2018 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Happy to start this new thread off with a piece of SM content that's quite possibly the finest the Lions have ever produced. The speech, the shots, the editing, the music. Kudos to whoever put this together. :rockin:

Icing on the cake would have been Wally saying something about the importance of playing for the whole province of British Columbia, with shots of the various community programs, shots of players/fans mingling at Fanfest, Lions fans streaming into BC Place from Terry Fox Plaza. That would have been incredible!

I only hope they place this on the video board on Saturday night before the start of the game. :yes:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Beautiful stuff. It shows Wally at his best. We always knew the Old Fox did not win all those games with just plain luck. :thup:

Speaking from the notes. I like it. Most people do not speak well off the cuff.

And, btw, what is that music? Gorgeous.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Bosco
Team Captain

A twist on Wally's speech could be a great marketing slogan for 2018.............."Why can't it be US!"
MacNews
Team Captain

:towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel:
Huge Talent
Starter

This $65 deal including beer and dogs is on the right track. I have several friends taking advantage of this.

Definitely an improved marketing campaign this year.

The beach party looked great in the preseason game, adding to the atmosphere for everyone.

Looks like there are lots of vacant seats from the 20 to 35 yd lines. I suspect some folks with the endzone beer deal will move over to those, but they need to look at somehow filling those. Maybe taking 10 bucks off those ones? Or allowing the $10 kids seats into the coaches sideline (after all, the parent will still be paying $100), excluding between the 40s sections.

Things are looking up overall. Hoping for a big crowd tonight, on a beautiful open roof evening.
David
Team Captain

The club wisely took a "Father's Day" angle to this promotion late in the week. Not sure if it's too late to get a lot of traction, but in addition to the $65 deal, there's also an $85 gift-giving deal for Dads that includes the hot dog and beer deal, but also bundles a hat, sunglasses, car flag, and magnet. :thup:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Huge Talent wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:09 am
Looks like there are lots of vacant seats from the 20 to 35 yd lines. I suspect some folks with the endzone beer deal will move over to those, but they need to look at somehow filling those. Maybe taking 10 bucks off those ones? Or allowing the $10 kids seats into the coaches sideline (after all, the parent will still be paying $100), excluding between the 40s sections.
The Lions deserve some big kudos for creating some very affordable deals with the biggest inventory of end zone seats in the entire league. They were marketing the heck out of the $65 deal and it will be interesting to see what they do moving forward as it was for just the 1 game. Good news: 3 attractive Western opponents at home next — Winnipeg, Edmonton, Saskatchewan. And they basically have a month to sell the Bombers visit on July 14.

Huge Talent brings up a great point about their next challenge — those rows upon rows of vacant seats between the 20-35 yard-lines. Expanding the $10 deal is a great idea. They also may want to re-visit why they eliminated that price tier when they moved back to BC Place in 2011 and made between the 20s all the same price category.
BC 1988
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:33 am
Huge Talent wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:09 am
The Lions deserve some big kudos for creating some very affordable deals with the biggest inventory of end zone seats in the entire league. They were marketing the heck out of the $65 deal and it will be interesting to see what they do moving forward as it was for just the 1 game. Good news: 3 attractive Western opponents at home next — Winnipeg, Edmonton, Saskatchewan. And they basically have a month to sell the Bombers visit on July 14.

Huge Talent brings up a great point about their next challenge — those rows upon rows of vacant seats between the 20-35 yard-lines. Expanding the $10 deal is a great idea. They also may want to re-visit why they eliminated that price tier when they moved back to BC Place in 2011 and made between the 20s all the same price category.
I received this email back on June 9th, so there is an indication they are trying many options to fill empty seats:
After a purrfect 2-0 pre-season, Wally Buono has his BC Lions focused and ready for the 2018 campaign, the final season of this legend’s career as the winningest coach of all time in the CFL. You don’t want to miss out!
Today, you probably heard a voicemail from our very own Superman, Geroy Simon, telling you about an EXCLUSIVE OFFER just for you, as our way of saying THANKS for coming out to a game last season by purchasing TOUCHDOWN END ZONE single game tickets!
Our 65th regular season home opener is coming up on Saturday, June 16th vs Montreal, presented by TELUS. When you purchase your tickets to this game, we will give you a FREE UPGRADE to TOUCHDOWN CORNER seats!
It’s easy! Click HERE to purchase your tickets, and use PROMO CODE: TDCUPGRADE
We’ll see you at the game! Go Lions!
Of course, I'm one of the few (along with B.C.FAN) who actually prefers the higher up endzone, to better see downfield developing plays.
CardiacKid
Legend

This business with the streaker (who I think was the sh*tiest streaker ever, who the hell streaks in their undies and a jersey?!?!) is getting a moderate amount of play on social media and some free advertising for the team. I wonder if they can merge it into a humorous ad campaign? I have to admit that while I agree the stunt was a stupid thing to do, I did find the end result amusing.

The funniest player reaction to a streaker I have ever seen was during a cricket match. A batsman grabbed the completely nude intruder and began repeatedly paddling his bare backside with his bat. With each swat, the streaker became more and more panicky like he was about to meet his maker.

I hope Young hasn’t exposed himself to legal action but if he hadn’t intervened, God knows how long it would have taken security to bring the guy down. They weren’’t exactly exerting themselves to corral him.

:thdn: BC Place.
Qman
Champion

SammyGreene wrote:

its been pointed out on this site for years the the lions need price category between coaches sideline and redzone. between $750 and $550. Plus their season ticket discount isn't high enough to entice new holders especially in coaches sideline. Those coaches sideline season ticket holders basically fund the club and must do everything to sell out those seats.

They have taken great strides in trying to fill endzone seats. Note that those seats were still largely empty when the had 26,000 season ticket holders 6 years ago.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

CardiacKid wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:41 pm
This business with the streaker (who I think was the sh*tiest streaker ever, who the hell streaks in their undies and a jersey?!?!) is getting a moderate amount of play on social media and some free advertising for the team. I wonder if they can merge it into a humorous ad campaign? I have to admit that while I agree the stunt was a stupid thing to do, I did find the end result amusing.

The funniest player reaction to a streaker I have ever seen was during a cricket match. A batsman grabbed the completely nude intruder and began repeatedly paddling his bare backside with his bat. With each swat, the streaker became more and more panicky like he was about to meet his maker.

I hope Young hasn’t exposed himself to legal action but if he hadn’t intervened, God knows how long it would have taken security to bring the guy down. They weren’’t exactly exerting themselves to corral him.

:thdn: BC Place.
The reason the Lions won't be trying for any humorous drunk streaker ad campaign is the same reason that TSN doesn't show this clown on TV: They don't want to encourage this type of behaviour so they won't give this clown even 15 seconds of fame on TV.

Apparently the guy has been barred from B.C. Place for 1 year.
Figaro
Rookie

I always thought that they should shoot these streakers with a tranquilizing agent like they do bears and cougars. Only, have the tranquilizer also loaded with a compound that will release the bladder and bowels - let him wake up in that mess in the paddy wagon wondering WTF!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Figaro wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:57 am
I always thought that they should shoot these streakers with a tranquilizing agent like they do bears and cougars. Only, have the tranquilizer also loaded with a compound that will release the bladder and bowels - let him wake up in that mess in the paddy wagon wondering WTF!
Nasty.........but not dissimilar to my idea which was that they lay a tarp down somewhere on the sidelines, hog-tie the guy with zap-straps and leave him lie there until the game is over. Somewhat of a modern day sports version of being put in the stocks. If a guy has pounded back enough beer to pull off that stunt I'm guessing his bladder won't hold up for long.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I don't know if it was merely coincidence or planned that way but another subtle thing I noticed was that the participants in the sideline contests all appeared to be in the 12 to 16 age range.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:

Does anybody sit on the visitors' side of the field? I was cringing looking at the empty seats over there. I was wondering how the home team side looked from over there. From my perch in 242 it's difficult to get a sense of the seats on my side but it feels like there are twice as many sitting there than on the visitors' side.