Eskimos: change your name

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:50 pm
I have heard of this Kraken concept for Seattle but for the life of me have no idea why it's getting traction. I don't know if there's some sort of historical or regional background to it.
None whatsoever. Two things in pop culture: RELEASE THE KRAKEN
First uttered by Sir Lawrence Olivier in 1981

then by Liam Neeson in 2010

I don't recall it becoming a catchphrase back in 1981, but there were no memes back then.

Then these guys got the idea to ride the wave following the 2010 launch of the product:
https://workingnotworking.com/projects/ ... dvertising
They decided to go with the giant squid look (or calamari, according to Premier Horgan).

Tod Lieweke has gone all in with the Kraken, but I heard Ron Francis kept the logo from becoming a cartoon worthy of the ECHL.
https://www.bardown.com/kraken-will-be- ... -1.1499121

I feel the same way about this as I did the Raptors--would have made sense describing a team in Drumheller, but has no connection to Toronto.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Oddly enough, the Kraken is a beast of Scandanavian mythology. It had nothing to do with the Greeks.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Now that these two sports team logos have been retired and replaced:

Then I wonder if these two teams and their logs will follow suit soon afterwards (Chicago Blackhawks & Portland Winterhawks):

ImageImage
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

History of the Blackhawks name compliments of Wiki:
Founding
On May 1, 1926, the NHL awarded an expansion franchise for Chicago to a syndicate headed by former football star Huntington Hardwick of Boston. At the same meeting, Hardwick arranged the purchase of the players of the Portland Rosebuds of the Western Hockey League for $100,000 from WHL president Frank Patrick in a deal brokered by Boston Bruins' owner Charles Adams. However, only one month later, Hardwick's group sold out to Chicago coffee tycoon Frederic McLaughlin.

McLaughlin had been a commander with the 333rd Machine Gun Battalion of the 86th Infantry Division during World War I. This division was nicknamed the "Blackhawk Division" after a Native American of the Sauk nation, Black Hawk, who was a prominent figure in the history of Illinois. McLaughlin named the new hockey team in honor of the military unit, making it one of many sports team names using Native Americans as icons. However, unlike the military division, the team's name was spelled in two words as the "Black Hawks" until 1986, when the club officially became the "Blackhawks," based on the spelling found in the original franchise documents.

Moreover, prior to the 1986–87 season, while going through the team's records, someone discovered the team's original NHL contract and found that the name "Blackhawks" was printed as a compound word as opposed to two separate words, "Black Hawks", which was the way most sources had been printing it for 60 years and as the team had always officially listed it. The name officially became "Chicago Blackhawks" from that point on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Blackhawks

The Portland Winterhawks were originally the Edmonton Oil Kings from 1951 until 1976 when they moved to Portland. I assume the WHA Oilers presence hurt the Oil Kings at the gate to the point they were forced to relocate. There's a bit of a what goes around, comes around to the history of the Winterhawks name. It originated because the Winterhawks original jerseys were a used set of Chicago Blackhawk jerseys and as indicated above the original Blackhawks team was made up of several Portland Rosebud players whose contracts had been purchased when the old Western Hockey League disbanded. The Detroit Red Wings originated similarly as the Detroit Cougars after acquiring the contracts of the players of the WHL Victoria Cougars.

The Winterhawks wear jerseys similar to those of the Chicago Blackhawks of the NHL, causing some to erroneously assume that the Winterhawks are a minor league farm team of the Blackhawks. In actuality, the jerseys originally worn by the first Winterhawks team were a used set of Chicago jerseys obtained through connections between the owners of the two teams. In early photos, the old Chicago jerseys are identifiable by the letter "C" with crossed tomahawks on the shoulder crest. The Winterhawks eventually changed the "C" to a "P".

The Portland-Chicago connection runs deeper, as the Blackhawks were founded in 1926 by Frederic McLaughlin, who simply bought the contracts of most of the members of the Portland Rosebuds and brought them to Chicago
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_Winterhawks
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Perhaps the team could change it's name to The Edmonton Jones. Apparently Scott Milanovich has resigned today and is rumoured to be going to Indianapolis Colts, and meanwhile Chris Jones (apparently on the outs in Cleveland) has lickety-split tweeted he'd like to be back with EE! Hmm...
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:41 am
Perhaps the team could change it's name to The Edmonton Jones. Apparently Scott Milanovich has resigned today and is rumoured to be going to Indianapolis Colts, and meanwhile Chris Jones (apparently on the outs in Cleveland) has lickety-split tweeted he'd like to be back with EE! Hmm...
Arash Madani was speculating on the Rod Pedersen show today that former Ottawa OC Jaime Elizondo might be a good candidate because of his connection with GM Brock Sunderland. Elizondo was long considered for head coaching vacancies before leaving Ottawa for the XFL. Madani said Milanovich has been working for a financial services firm in San Diego since the XFL shut down last year.
Qman
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:08 am
History of the Blackhawks name compliments of Wiki:
Founding
On May 1, 1926, the NHL awarded an expansion franchise for Chicago to a syndicate headed by former football star Huntington Hardwick of Boston. At the same meeting, Hardwick arranged the purchase of the players of the Portland Rosebuds of the Western Hockey League for $100,000 from WHL president Frank Patrick in a deal brokered by Boston Bruins' owner Charles Adams. However, only one month later, Hardwick's group sold out to Chicago coffee tycoon Frederic McLaughlin.

McLaughlin had been a commander with the 333rd Machine Gun Battalion of the 86th Infantry Division during World War I. This division was nicknamed the "Blackhawk Division" after a Native American of the Sauk nation, Black Hawk, who was a prominent figure in the history of Illinois. McLaughlin named the new hockey team in honor of the military unit, making it one of many sports team names using Native Americans as icons. However, unlike the military division, the team's name was spelled in two words as the "Black Hawks" until 1986, when the club officially became the "Blackhawks," based on the spelling found in the original franchise documents.

Moreover, prior to the 1986–87 season, while going through the team's records, someone discovered the team's original NHL contract and found that the name "Blackhawks" was printed as a compound word as opposed to two separate words, "Black Hawks", which was the way most sources had been printing it for 60 years and as the team had always officially listed it. The name officially became "Chicago Blackhawks" from that point on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Blackhawks

The Portland Winterhawks were originally the Edmonton Oil Kings from 1951 until 1976 when they moved to Portland. I assume the WHA Oilers presence hurt the Oil Kings at the gate to the point they were forced to relocate. There's a bit of a what goes around, comes around to the history of the Winterhawks name. It originated because the Winterhawks original jerseys were a used set of Chicago Blackhawk jerseys and as indicated above the original Blackhawks team was made up of several Portland Rosebud players whose contracts had been purchased when the old Western Hockey League disbanded. The Detroit Red Wings originated similarly as the Detroit Cougars after acquiring the contracts of the players of the WHL Victoria Cougars.

The Winterhawks wear jerseys similar to those of the Chicago Blackhawks of the NHL, causing some to erroneously assume that the Winterhawks are a minor league farm team of the Blackhawks. In actuality, the jerseys originally worn by the first Winterhawks team were a used set of Chicago jerseys obtained through connections between the owners of the two teams. In early photos, the old Chicago jerseys are identifiable by the letter "C" with crossed tomahawks on the shoulder crest. The Winterhawks eventually changed the "C" to a "P".

The Portland-Chicago connection runs deeper, as the Blackhawks were founded in 1926 by Frederic McLaughlin, who simply bought the contracts of most of the members of the Portland Rosebuds and brought them to Chicago
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_Winterhawks
also the blackhawk logo actually looks like celebrated warrior blackhawk

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It’s official: The Edmonton Football Team is now known as the Edmonton Elks. I’ve been touting the Elk name all along but I’ll go along with the plural version, which is closest to the once commonly used Esks. I also like the new logo and helmet design featuring antlers.

Hambone
Hall of Famer

I'm good with Elks although I always used Elk for both singular and plural. I felt all along that if maintaining the classic EE was essential then Elk(s) was the best option as it opened up more opportunities to leverage for brand, logos etc for merch use. I do like what I saw on their onlime store today. All looks very sharp and highly marketable.
BC 1988
Legend

Agree that it's probably the easiest fix EDM could come up with--fairly seamless and has a tiny bit of continuity to the past.

What I did find surprising is images of a helmet with antlers sprouting on the sides. I wonder if this will replace the EE helmet logo or just be an alternate?
https://3downnation.com/2021/06/01/the- ... -name-logo
David
Team Captain

I don't quite get why everyone's going ga-ga over the primary logo (mark). Can someone explain it to me? I see the antlers but it looks like the elk has her head turned to the (right) side. Does the shape represent anything? Is it in any way symbolic? What am I missing?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:23 pm
I don't quite get why everyone's going ga-ga over the primary logo (mark). Can someone explain it to me? I see the antlers but it looks like the elk has her head turned to the (right) side. Does the shape represent anything? Is it in any way symbolic? What am I missing?

That would be his head, not hers. Female or cow elk do not have antlers. That the head is pointed right may have to do with the presentation of the antlers as the 3 tines do create a stylized letter E. Same goes for the antlers on the helmet.

I don't know if ga-ga is the right word but tjey seem to have done a very good jpb of dealing with a tricky situation. The important opinions are those of the former Eskimo fan base. Even many of their fans who were not proponents of Elk or Elks seem to be pleasantly surprised and accepting of tje final results.
BC 1988
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:06 am
David wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:23 pm

That would be his head, not hers. Female or cow elk do not have antlers. That the head is pointed right may have to do with the presentation of the antlers as the 3 tines do create a stylized letter E. Same goes for the antlers on the helmet.
It took someone pointing out to me that they were going for three antler tines=stylized E. Reminds me of the design philosophy of the Canucks 1970 logo: supposed to be a C but most people just saw a "stick-in-the-rink".
Hambone
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:32 pm
It took someone pointing out to me that they were going for three antler tines=stylized E. Reminds me of the design philosophy of the Canucks 1970 logo: supposed to be a C but most people just saw a "stick-in-the-rink".
Lol. I think the Minnesota Wild had been in the NHL for a good 5 years before it dawned on me the outline of their logo with the trees, sun, river etc was in the shape of a cougar's head.
BC 1988
Legend

I agree the Wild logo is an example of trying too hard. Interesting background behind how it became such a busy mess (compared to the gloriously simple old North Stars logo).
https://history.vintagemnhockey.com/pag ... o-creation

I found this version of the Elks logo. It's on only three items of merch so far, but I think they should have went with it as the best way to illustrate the EE replacement.
https://shop.goelks.com/products/new-er ... eline-hood
https://shop.goelks.com/collections/kid ... otball-tee
https://shop.goelks.com/collections/men ... ondary-tee