New Rule Change effective immediately

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The 2 games no doubt relate to other suspensions for benchmarks such as Kyries Hebert suspension last year for the hit on DaVaris Daniels - Stamps Rec who got just 1 game last year.
Secondly maybe they want to prevent an appeal. The appeals process should not be so automatic as to get a player/team to choose what games they sit out either.

https://press.cfl.ca/kyries-hebert-susp ... is-daniels

Interesting that the media release says they didn't consider the past behaviour yet referenced his record.

“Everything they said we not allowed to do, he did it all in that play,” Hamilton Tiger-Cats linebacker Simoni Lawrence tweeted when Hebert crunched Daniels.

I'm a believer that Lawrence's apologies weren't sincere and it's BS to suggest he couldn't miss Collaros' head. There are freak and accidental incidents in all sports but that was targeted with no regard for the outcome.

As Phil Jackson says - respect the game, respect your opponent and play hard, play FAIR and play now.

IF the CFL is to avoid a league ending lawsuit in future they must have a ZERO TOLERANCE policy with severe penalties for head shots with a good and fair process to mete out discipline. Players on teams have to have zero tolerance for their team mates doing this as well and Coaches should immediately take their players out of the game IF they pull a trick like Lawrence did on Collaros.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lawrence suspension likely heading to appeal/grievance

https://www.tsn.ca/hamilton-tiger-cats- ... -1.1324849

This CFL fan is not happy to hear this. Here are some still shots taken from that video.

IMO he could have avoided contact altogether. He has demonstrated that he is a dangerous player. Bad habits. Plus he absolves himself of blame for each offence. He has not learned a thing. He has demonstrated no interest in changing nor the capacity to do so, at this time.

I hope to gawd the suspension stands. The level of disgust if it is rolled back would be huge. Interest killing in the sport.

Next up, some pix.

Number 4, Leonard, passes up the chance for contact, as he sees Collaros is on the way to the ground. Lawrence continues on to head hunt.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Pix of Lawrence targeting and hitting Collaros with his helmet and shoulder.

2019-06-19_0518.png
2019-06-19_0519.png
2019-06-19_0519_001.png
2019-06-19_0528.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Yes it is disappointing that the appeal will go forward and the CFL best not reduce it.

Lawrence may be saying all the right things now, but some of these players including Odell Willis are loose cannons when it comes to respect for other players. Loffler is one of them as he's out there just looking to make the big hit and now he's not with the Bombers is being shown in game 1 at least as not quite as good as he thinks he is. Looked good with the Bombers D though.

I am fully convinced that these helmets with superior protection are in part delivering hellacious blows to the head and someone - if it's not been done should be doing some research on the modern helmet's impact versus those of prior years.

Tackling rules should force them back lower.

Maybe the QB running rules on the spot of the ball need some minor tightening so DEF players don't have to stop the forward slides given this is a protected position for hits.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:27 pm
Yes it is disappointing that the appeal will go forward and the CFL best not reduce it.

Lawrence may be saying all the right things now, but some of these players including Odell Willis are loose cannons when it comes to respect for other players. Loffler is one of them as he's out there just looking to make the big hit and now he's not with the Bombers is being shown in game 1 at least as not quite as good as he thinks he is. Looked good with the Bombers D though.

I am fully convinced that these helmets with superior protection are in part delivering hellacious blows to the head and someone - if it's not been done should be doing some research on the modern helmet's impact versus those of prior years.

Tackling rules should force them back lower.

Maybe the QB running rules on the spot of the ball need some minor tightening so DEF players don't have to stop the forward slides given this is a protected position for hits.
Actually once a QB initiates the hook slide, the play is over and no need for the defender to even touch the QB and the new line of scrimmage is where the hook slide was first initiated. The change to the rules for this season is that the QB does not need to hook slide, just get down and play is over, the whistle should blow.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The CFLPA disgust me. I feel betrayed as a fan who was trying to get other fans to support the CFLPA.

Dave Naylor calls out the PA.

Maybe a few more of other team QBs need to suffer before these dumb f..ks wtf up.

I have lost respect for players who' d defend this action.

At least the CFL take the right position here.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video

The CFL also acted against other offenders too. Kudos to them as they listened to the fans:

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/06/19/two-playe ... -1-action/

TORONTO — The Canadian Football League (CFL) announced two fines after Week 1 action.

Hamilton Tiger-Cats defensive back Delvin Breaux has been fined for a late and unnecessary hit on Saskatchewan Roughriders running back William Powell.

Calgary Stampeders linebacker Cory Greenwood was fined for a late and unnecessary hit on Ottawa REDBLACKS running back Mossis Madu.

Earlier this week it was announced that Hamilton Tiger-Cats linebacker Simoni Lawrence was suspended two games for a dangerous and reckless hit on Saskatchewan Roughriders quarterback, Zach Collaros.

As per league policy, the amount of the player fines was not disclosed.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I don’t blame the CFLPA for representing Simoni Lawrence any more than I would blame a defence lawyer for representing an accused criminal. Unions have an obligation to represent their members in disciplinary matters, even if they are being disciplined for harming a fellow member. That doesn’t mean the union condones harmful acts against its members.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:34 am
I don’t blame the CFLPA for representing Simoni Lawrence any more than I would blame a defence lawyer for representing an accused criminal. Unions have an obligation to represent their members in disciplinary matters, even if they are being disciplined for harming a fellow member. That doesn’t mean the union condones harmful acts against its members.
Well said
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

What I think is important is get the head shots out of the game with immediate ejections and an automatic one game suspension and a disciplinary process that can mete out supplemental discipline. That would change how teams select players and the loose cannons who are prone to these things would be avoided.

This is not a good news story when even the local papers across Canada run these stories - example Lillooet.

https://www.lillooetnews.net/cflpa-crit ... 1.23861807

Not sure what process the NFL uses.

"In its statement, the CFLPA says it pushed for the "CFL (to) adopt a system, currently used with success in the NFL, that would introduce fair and transparent protocols for players facing supplemental discipline."

"The CFLPA says the proposal "was rejected by the CFL, leaving the CFLPA to choose between its members, one injured and the other suspended.""

While I never thought the Arland Bruce case had much merit this is what happened to that case as the Supreme Court view was that unionized employees must deal with it through collective bargaining and arbitration.

However, a player like Zach Collaros could likely sue like the Bertuzzi case that took years to settle - BUT in that case, the player was earning as much in a season as an entire CFL team earns collectively in the same time period - if not more.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/ ... -1.4585843