New Rule Change effective immediately

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

A new development to start the new season. Ambrosie using a surprisingly casual way to explain why they are trying this now.
www.cfl.ca/2019/06/13/cfl-issues-statem ... nd-centre/
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I agree that it shouldn't take 10 minutes to render a decision.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Simoni Lawrence should be banned for a season for that head shot on Collaros.

And now there's another one by the Ticats. WTF
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:10 pm
Simoni Lawrence should be banned for a season for that head shot on Collaros.
I'm sure Rider fans are calling for nothing short of a lifetime suspension. Full season isn't going to happen either but there has to be an immediate suspension of some length. I can't remember if they've ever handed out one for longer than 1 game for an action on the field prior to last year when Hebert got 2 games for absolutely launching himself helmet first into BJ Cunningham's head. No doubt a big factor in getting 2 was the fact he'd already been suspended a game earlier in the season for a hit on DaVaris Daniels.

So I'm expecting a suspension. Given so much discussion in rule changes and CBA negotiations was about player safety plus the fact it happened in the 1st quarter of the 1st game of the season it's a purrfect time to send a message to not just Lawrence but the entire league. A suspension should be handed down and it should be handed down before the next game is played tomorrow night. The PA should do the right thing and take him aside to tell him to take it like a man and don't even think about appealing.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Figaro
Rookie

If the CFL wants to send a message to all the players about dirty hits, then they can not let this hit by Lawrence slip by with a "slap on the wrist." Let's bring respectability and safety forward. Goodbye Simoni Lawrence.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

What does the collective agreement say about punishment limits? In the past it seemed that there were some pretty big limitations on fines and suspensions.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Lawrence was handed a 2 game suspension. While many think that is far too lenient that's what I expected to it to be. In the past fines or at most a 1 game suspension have been the norm. This sets a new precedent or bar that can be built upon should it prove to be not enough deterrent.

https://www.tsn.ca/hamilton-tiger-cats- ... -1.1323847
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:51 am
Lawrence was handed a 2 game suspension. While many think that is far too lenient that's what I expected to it to be. In the past fines or at most a 1 game suspension have been the norm. This sets a new precedent or bar that can be built upon should it prove to be not enough deterrent.

I hope Lawrence does the right thing and accept the consequences of his mistake and does not appeal.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:51 am

About what we would expect. For now, this seems acceptable. I don't think players got the message before Game 1. It looked like lots of nasty shots out there.

This fan does not accept an athlete saying he could not adjust his angle, et cetera. They could turn their bodies into corkscrews if it fit a plan. Roll the shoulders over. Pull the helmet to this side. Angle your upper body back. Why is it even necessary to pin a QB who is on the way down?

Same with the helmet. For this fan, it is like a golfer with his club. The pro athlete knows where it is, and how to deliver it where they want.

Keep the suspensions coming. The players will quickly figure it out. These young men learn to have an assassin's attitude in college and even high school, with unprincipled coaches, desperate to win. It is not just the victim that suffers. The perpetrator of violent, dangerous hits also suffers in the long term.

They choose the profession? Yes, of course. And some people would pay to see death sports.

Just imo ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Isn't 2 game the max suspension. I was under that impression before this. Fines topped out at $500.00 I was thinking too.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
squishy35
Legend

I would support a suspension (of this nature) to correspond with the amount of time Collaros is out of action (he is on the 6 game list at present).
Hambone
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:44 am

This fan does not accept an athlete saying he could not adjust his angle, et cetera. They could turn their bodies into corkscrews if it fit a plan. Roll the shoulders over. Pull the helmet to this side. Angle your upper body back. Why is it even necessary to pin a QB who is on the way down?
I agree totally WCJ. Once a player commits their body in a certain direction and no longer have their feet under them they can't change that direction but they sure the hell can alter what their body is doing to reduce or change contact. I saw a great example in an NFL game late last year when a pass rusher had a clear shot at a QB who was releasing the ball and had committed himself to taking it. In the midst of that I think he realized it was going to be late or low. He instinctively twisted his body to turn what would likely have been a sure RTP call into grazing incidental contact.

I've always been a believer that contact sports are games of instincts. It is not easy to change instincts built up over many years. However that's what these guys need to do. They need to change their instinct from following through with the hit as originally intended to recognizing it will be a penalty and instinctively "pull the chute", "tuck and roll" or do some other sort of evasive action. In my Oldtimers hockey league here in PG we had one guy who was always very aggressive on the puck often resulting in collisions bordering on body checks and near fight confrontations in a non-contact league. As one buddy liked to say about this guy "he played hard but he never has an exit plan".
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:45 am
Isn't 2 game the max suspension. I was under that impression before this. Fines topped out at $500.00 I was thinking too.
Nothing seems clearly defined in any of the CBA, Constitution or Bylaws.

About the only reference to fines is in Article 21: Fines and Maximum Discipline. It seems to mostly cover fines that can be assessed by a team for a player contravening a team rule. Max is 1/2 of the player's salary for playing 1 game with the fines to go to the CFLPA for their use. If a team assigns a fine of $75 or less then the team can keep it for their use. I can't find anything that specifically references suspensions or fines imposed by the CFL which surprises me.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Randy Ambrosie's official statement on the Lawrence suspension curiously makes no reference to any CBA or contractual basis for the disciplinary action, just to recent public statements about player safety from the CFL, CFLPA and individual players.
We want to put this supplemental discipline in its proper context by making the following important points.

1. Player safety is the top priority for CFL. This point was stressed yet again as recently as June 12, the day before the game in question, in a league memo to all clubs which clearly stated: “Any player who performs an illegal act that creates a substantial and unnecessary risk of injury to an opposing player in a reckless and dangerous manner and outside of the acceptable standards of play will be subject to a suspension.”

2. In our recent discussions with the Canadian Football Players Association (CFLPA) that led to a new collective bargaining agreement (CBA), and in its public statements, the players association has said many times that player health and safety is also the players’ top priority.

3. Several individual players have continued to echo that sentiment on social media, during and since those CBA talks, including this past weekend.

4.We all need to walk all of this talk in a meaningful way now, at the outset of our season, by sending and supporting a clear and unequivocal message on player safety.

5. The precise circumstance that occurred on this play was identified this Spring by our Rules Committee, which includes the leadership of the CFLPA, as one that requires urgent and strong action. It passed a rule change that increased the focus on such a play and the scope of what is considered a penalty. Our supplemental discipline needs to mirror this emphasis.

6. We want to stress that this discipline is the result of this player’s actions on this play and this play alone. In fact, he has never been previously fined or suspended for dangerous play since joining the league in 2012. In addition, he has expressed contrition for his actions and concern for his opponent and former teammate’s health and well-being. However, dangerous and reckless play must be disciplined, not simply for the sake of punishment alone, but to deter such play in the future . All of us, league and players, need to take and support strong action to promote and protect player health and safety, and we need to work together.

– Randy Ambrosie, CFL, Commissioner
jwbavalon
Rookie

I agree with Squishy35 of equal time.