The decline of Vancouver sports media & its effect on Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I don't like seeing people losing their jobs - especially as radio is such a challenge these days with so many young people hardly knowing what a radio station is - unless the parents play the radio in the car.

Even major firms like Bell seem to be less friendly to staff.

Sad to see LU not on air or in the media as he has a ton of Lion and CFL knowledge and just needs a place to share it.

I'm old enough to remember when the Lions were number 1 in town but now it's tougher to get out the message.

The last two nights at my local (no saying what gym) has been Adam Bighill and Sol E - both working on strengthening their core yet only I seem to know who they are. The young regulars haven't a clue as they're not into football.

Adam when he's been back in the lower mainland has been at this gym at times but he's really ramped it up with a training partner in Sol E.

They were working out yesterday outdoors (in the day) and the Lions had an instagram of them. It was only after that I see Sol E has a tweet up that the Lions are looking to trade him. That would be sad.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sorry to hear about Lowell Ullrich. When I used to attend practices quite regularly, Lowell was always ready to talk football. Same with Mike Beamish, who would post on here from time to time.

Newsprint and radio seem like a tough gig these days.

All the best, Lowell.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TSN 1040 has announced that Farhan Lalji will replace LU as host of the Lions' pre- and postgame shows this season.

SammyGreene
Team Captain

I have to admit that was nicely spun by Bell Media. They already had one full-time employee covering Lions practices in Surrey so why continue to pay a part-timer in LU as well and just expand Farhan's radio role further?
We diehards know Farhan was a regular guest on Lions post-game shows and co-hosted 3rd Down Radio. Now there's one less source and voice. But they played it up nicely and turned a negative into a positive development.

I initially thought this might be the route Bell Media was going until Karen Surman announced she would have an expanded role in Lions coverage. Not sure what that is now beyond her sideline reporter role given her new daytime gig would make Lions practices impossible.
Dusty
Champion

Maybe LU will have a "call in" role as an analyst, similar to what Farhan did.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Rather shocking to just read that Jason Botchford passed away over the weekend of apparent heart failure at the age of 48.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/j ... dead-at-48
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:38 am
Rather shocking to just read that Jason Botchford passed away over the weekend of apparent heart failure at the age of 48.

This was a real shock this morning. My sincerest condolences to his family, friends, and colleagues. Jason was very talented at his craft. He was creative and funny, and built an on-air persona that connected with radio audiences.

Jason was an NFL guy through and through (Eagles fan). While I don't think he watched much CFL ball, he was never disrespectful toward the Lions or the league and I thought he did a very good job (when co-hosting) of staying informed on the club.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

Ditto, it was quite a shock. 1040 staff (as per Jeff Paterson) got the news yesterday but as per his family's wishes, they waited until today at 9am to make the formal announcement. One problem with that was Halford comes on at 9am with none of the typical bumper music and solemnly makes the announcement, but he is usually so flippant it was hard to tell right away he was serious. (Doesn't help that the first 2 hours was mysteriously hosted by Abbott and Mcletchie, then Karen Surman and Mcletchie from 8-9, with no advance warning).

Botchford was very entertaining to listen to (he mainly covered the Canucks). His "YOU NEED AN ARMY" sound bite always cracks me up. Of course, all radio personalities use a shtick and his would sometimes rub people the wrong way. The Canucks organization was originally outraged at his fearless criticism. Tortorella paid tribute this morning (even though he was hostile during his time as coach here.)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Way too young to be taken
David
Team Captain

David wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 12:22 pm
Hambone wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:38 am

This was a real shock this morning. My sincerest condolences to his family, friends, and colleagues. Jason was very talented at his craft. He was creative and funny, and built an on-air persona that connected with radio audiences (and of course, writing style that connected with readers).

Jason was an NFL guy through and through (Eagles fan). While I don't think he watched much CFL ball, he was never disrespectful toward the Lions or the league and I thought he did a very good job (when co-hosting) of staying informed on the club.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Lions mid-week coverage has basically become a black hole other than the odd article and radio guest.
No more beat writers at daily practices and 1040 appears to have scrapped Third Down Radio as well. The station forgot to mention that when they pumped up the addition of Farhan and dropped LU.

Has Termansen lost his starting spot at field side corner in favour of Tucker this week? Who knows. Guess we will find out when the depth chart is released Thursday.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:12 am
Lions mid-week coverage has basically become a black hole other than the odd article and radio guest.
No more beat writers at daily practices and 1040 appears to have scrapped Third Down Radio as well. The station forgot to mention that when they pumped up the addition of Farhan and dropped LU.

Has Termansen lost his starting spot at field side corner in favour of Tucker this week? Who knows. Guess we will find out when the depth chart is released Thursday.
I've dropped by a couple of Lion practices and only the TV folks were there pre-Bombers game.

In the car I move the dial to see if the Moj/Donny or Sportsnet would feature football in any way but it's so rare it's shocking. Chris Hebb was on with TSN on the BC Junior Hockey League and how many and who etc go from this league and eventually end up in the NHL/pros. It was interesting including a story of Geoff Courtnall way back crediting his 1 year in the BCJHL as leading to his eventual journey to the NHL - then Donny's proverbial "before I let you go" came on so he could get right back to inane air filling time.

The Lions players should get a show or more slots versus these short call ins.

While I was down on Termanesen for his lack of cover on big plays/TD - he's a nice guy. Came over to me near the gate and introduced himself. Let's hope that unit can gel. The Safety didn't[t even go to TC IIRC.

The other day a bunch of school kids were at practice and the first player to wade into to connect was none other than Duron Carter. Maleki Harris #31 from the DEF asked a couple of young kids if they'd hold his helmet as they were starting gassers. Someone from the Lions office came out with a box of something for the kids!

At the end the DEF players all got pictures with the class and teachers and some kids with a sign.

The players are all classy and those kids will never forget that plus they'll go home to their parents and tell their stories.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:

Of the 10 NAT starters from Saturday I think he's the one most likely to be demoted.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Do I want to see more coverage of the Leos? Of course! But to me, this is part and parcel of opening the season so darn early when the NHL and NBA playoffs are just wrapping up with the NHL awards and draft upcoming this week. It's partially self-inflicted (thanks Ambrosie!).

I would love to see the CFL regular season start on July 1 with hockey/basketball fatigue behind everyone (yes, there's NHL's free agency, but not much else going on).

I am sure there will be more Lions talk as we hit summer. It's not like the Whitecaps are getting a lot of love either....

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:

J.J. Adams has been pinch-hitting on the Lions beat for The Province and Karen Surman was at practice today for TSN 1040 but I haven't seen any reports of personnel changes.