The decline of Vancouver sports media & its effect on Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Matt Baker wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:18 pm
Honestly, do people actually listen to Jim Rome and Dan Patrick on the radio anymore? In this day and age with podcast capability and the i-Heart radio app, all you need is your phone and Bluetooth capability. I guess the Rome show you still need to subscribe, but all those other shows are easily attainable.

As for the question about Lions/Whitecaps conflicts, I can confirm that Lions broadcasts will always have precedents to be on 1040. I believe that is part of the new agreement they just signed with Bell Media Radio.
Thanks for the reassurances on the Lions' broacasts, Matt.

I'm old school. I've never listened to a podcast or used Bluetooth or the i-Heart radio app. I just want to turn on one of my two or three favourite radio stations and listen to the programming. I use TV the same way by scrolling through hundreds of stations with my remote control. My wife, on the other hand, instructs Google Home to play certain programs on Netflix or YouTube, none of which I would ever know about on my own.
BC 1988
Legend

Matt Baker wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:18 pm
As for the question about Lions/Whitecaps conflicts, I can confirm that Lions broadcasts will always have precedents to be on 1040. I believe that is part of the new agreement they just signed with Bell Media Radio.
I noticed that 1410 still occasionally has sports programming. Tomorrow they will broadcast the Champions League Final (clashes with a Whitecaps game). Bottom line is it's still available.
I wonder if anyone is listening to the new format BNN Bloomberg Radio since the change? Right now they have BC Food and Wine Radio.
http://www.iheartradio.ca/bnn-bloomberg-radio-1410
David
Team Captain

Three Down Radio resumes tonight with a panel discussion of LU, Farhan, and Giulio. I would expect the exciting debut of Ricky Lloyd will get a bit of airtime tonight, as well as the Calgary game discussion and training camp getting dissected. :thup:

Where: TSN1040 radio
When: 7:00pm - 9:00pm

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

Here is last night's show.

http://ckstam.streamon.fm/listen-pl-9749

Lots of interesting tidbits.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

2 hours of Leos talk coming up now (6:00pm - 8:00pm) on TSN1040.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Matt Baker
Rookie

A little nugget here that is quite relevant to this topic. As we boarded our team charter to Edmonton Thursday morning, there were copies of the Edmonton Sun available for reading. Doesn't usually happen when we fly, but for some reason, we took a bigger Canadian North plane on the way there and not the usual Air North arrangement. I was quite impressed and disappointed at the same time to see that they had a massive pullout section devoted to Friday night's game. Previews, features even an in depth look at both rosters. Granted this matchup was unique with the return of Odell Willis and a few other former Esks, but it was a far cry from what we get here in wake of the recent newspaper cuts.
BC 1988
Legend

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/dave-pr ... yoffs-2019
More changes at TSN 1040. Looks like Dave Pratt is finally gone.

4 hour timeslots will be more in line with what they were before the 2017 revamp.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/t ... anada-cuts
More details of Pratt, Dave Tomlinson and Curt Abbleby being let go. Halford and Brough move into the morning slot which goes back to it's pre-2017 time of 6-10am.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Sad to learn Lowell Ullrich is also among the 1040 casualties as he unveiled the news via his twitter account today. Not sure what it means to his contributions to 3 Down Nation but it sounds like that's over too unless another opportunity to compliment that comes up.

Have really missed LU's insight during this FA period. We would probably have a much better idea of Solly's status (will they release him if he can't be traded?), Hervey's cap situation and what is happening with the likes of Olafioye and Anthony Thompson.

Karen Surman lost her morning show gig but tweeted she starts a new position as of April 1 at the afternoon update desk and a "more expanded" role in Lions coverage. Me thinks that means replacing LU hosting the pre-game and post-game shows and maybe working 3rd Down Radio too with Farhan and Guilio.
BC 1988
Legend

That is sad to hear about LU. I always looked forward to all his Lions coverage (even when he was saddled with having to deal with Halford and Brough, who are just about the worst for CFL talk).

Oh well, as long as we still have Farhan.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

BC 1988 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:04 am
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/dave-pr ... yoffs-2019
More changes at TSN 1040. Looks like Dave Pratt is finally gone.

4 hour timeslots will be more in line with what they were before the 2017 revamp.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/t ... anada-cuts
More details of Pratt, Dave Tomlinson and Curt Abbleby being let go. Halford and Brough move into the morning slot which goes back to it's pre-2017 time of 6-10am.
Sounds mostly like a reduction in head count. Instead of four crews covering four 3-hour timeslots they'll have three crews covering three 4-hour slots.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
BC 1988
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:41 am
Sounds mostly like a reduction in head count. Instead of four crews covering four 3-hour timeslots they'll have three crews covering three 4-hour slots.
For the most part yes. Sekares and Price move their existing slot of 3-7pm back to 2-6pm. 3-7 was created when Rintoul started on SN 650 with the afternoon drive.

So the change in local programming time is losing the 5:30-6am earlier start and the 6-7pm hour.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sorry to hear about LU but not sorry to see Pratt gone.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

A lot of football knowledge and experience was just kicked out the door. I played football with Pratt when we were younger and I worked with LU for decades. Moj is a great football guy and Taylor has followed the Lions for most of his life but TSN 1040 is becoming even more of a hockey station than it was, and it doesn't even hold the Canucks rights.
David
Team Captain

A few thoughts. It is easy to dismiss Pratt as a blowhard but much of that was schtick. He knows the buttons to push to get listeners engaged and realizes he is in the entertainment business for ratings points. Many people don't realize what huge Lions fan he is. I have seen him about town in his Roots Lions leather varsity jacket.

LU will be missed, no question. I really appreciated his passion and dedication to the team. However, Karen Surman is a very capable broadcaster. She is going to do just fine with an expanded role with the Lions. She may even bring a younger listener or two, which is hardly a bad thing.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Dusty
Champion

I will miss LU also. I think he got thrown into the fire when he "had" to take over hosting the shows. His insights into the Lions and the CFL are, to me, better suited to an analyst role and I hope that he pops up in that role for the radio broadcasts. I do enjoy the pre and post game radio broadcasts on my way to and from the game.