Throwback Thursday

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

David wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:25 pm
BC 1988 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:26 pm
I see the "No Mountain Too High" graphic (available framed on Amazon) is pretty condensed--they forgot the '80s reversed lion which I like.
I am actually partial to the middle uniform with the 7 burnt orange stripes on the sleeves and the burnt orange and white neck trim. However, they only wore those for two seasons (1970 and 1971 - note: the mistake on the print, which reads "1974").

I am actually surprised they didn't feature the 1978 uniform instead. This is when the club switched colours to burnt orange and brown (and the new logo, which is primarily the one they still feature today). They achieved a lot of success in those uniforms (including the 1985 Grey Cup).

DH :cool:
All I can think of regarding the graphic is the designer realized they couldn't fit all iterations on the panel, so decided to make a creative compromise. Poor choices, if that was the case. Omitting the jersey of DeWalt/Fernandez (as mentioned by squishy35 in another thread) was a big mistake. The logo was the template for today's, but had the strange logic of having the dark lion. Someone must have decided to go for closer to what the mountain lion native to BC would like like when they made the lion orange in '89. I would like to know the story of the designer of both versions. Was it the same artist, or did another one modify it?

I remember seeing the '70-71 uni in color when I was a kid in Toronto (on player cards, but they didn't feature the '71 Centennial helmet, which I finally saw earlier in this thread). The stripes on the sleeves were like a version of what HAM had at that time
cms22
Starter

this seems like a good place to put this as i didn't want to start a new thread for this.

i see rocky long resigned at san diego state. and tedford already resigned this off-season at fresno state.

both did amazing jobs at those schools and both are ex-bc lions (tedford as HC)....

tedford resigned due to health issues. long due to issues with SDSU administration.

long would be an amazing hire for so many programs. i see he's looking into DC jobs, syracuse being cited.

seems to me that he'd be awesome for USC or UCLA in a DC/leadership role.

don't see any suggestion that he wants lesser role i.e not 16 hours x 365 days, which steinauer cited in resigning from fresno state DC role
David
Team Captain

Came across some old team photos (courtesy of Trevor Ekdahl's daughter Janika).

Of note here in the 1972 pic is film and TV star Carl Weathers (3rd player from left, middle row). I have a large wall poster of this same team photo. It was released by White Spot restaurant that year.

Of note in the 1971 pic is rookie Larry Highbaugh who would go onto Edmonton the following year and become a CFL Hall of Famer. Larry is wearing uniform #58 (5th player from the left, front row). He had joined the club shortly before this pic was taken in early September 1971.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

https://www.cfl.ca/2020/12/10/cfl-intro ... 03743cbf8f
Grey Cup on Demand starting January 28th. I already have most of those games on my HDD (using a video grabber that works with YouTube) but I'd like to see how good the video quality will be on this portal.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:54 pm
https://www.cfl.ca/2020/12/10/cfl-intro ... 03743cbf8f
Grey Cup on Demand starting January 28th. I already have most of those games on my HDD (using a video grabber that works with YouTube) but I'd like to see how good the video quality will be on this portal.
This is a great inovation. I've recorded many Grey Cup games on various formats that are now either obsolete or have simply been lost or overwritten. I've long wanted the ability to watch archived games on demand.
David
Team Captain

I have the 1971 Classic from Empire recorded. It has the entire pre-game and commercials. I don't believe the 4th quarter exists from this game. I think it got destroyed. In its place is a narrated highlight piece (that of course, shows the infamous Leon McQuay fumble).

I was able to send a copy to a very appreciative Miss Grey Cup, Debra Barbagallo, who was featured just prior to kick-off (this is not shown on the telecast version that TSN occasionally airs).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

There is some really cool video footage of Lions training camp in Kelowna in 1960. The source says 1959 but I don't think they wore the winged football helmet design (aka "Wolverines" design) until the 1960 season. It looks to me like Dave Skrein doing the instructing. I don't see Willie in this clip but it's only some players doing drills.

Vernon-based historian and videographer Francois Arseneault unearthed this black-and-white footage and claims it is from 1959.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:40 pm
There is some really cool video footage of Lions training camp in Kelowna in 1960. The source says 1959 but I don't think they wore the winged football helmet design (aka "Wolverines" design) until the 1960 season. It looks to me like Dave Skrein doing the instructing. I don't see Willie in this clip but it's only some players doing drills.

Vernon-based historian and videographer Francois Arseneault unearthed this black-and-white footage and claims it is from 1959.

I think 1960 is correct from some of the discussion I’ve seen online. I saw a No. 15 holding a tackling dummy but I don’t know if that was Fleming. That was Bob Ackles’ first camp as equipment manager but the practice uniforms weren’t very uniform.
BC 1988
Legend

Watching some of the content uploaded so far (up to 1969) on the Grey Cup portal. Pretty good--quite a few sources I hadn't seen before. Some of them have both pre- and post-game content. Quality is as good or better than any that had been previously available on YouTube. I noticed a 30 second Marks Work Warehouse ad inserted in places but no more than 2 of them in a full game.

It is ironic that the 3hr 6min 1966 game has the announcer saying "coming to you in colour", but this recording is B&W (so the 1hr 28min ESPN Classic condensed game is still worth keeping on my HDD).

Looking forward to 1971(coming Feb 25th) to see how they handle the missing ending--seems unlikely they were able to find a complete broadcast.
BC 1988
Legend

Just took a quick look at 1971 GC on the portal. 2 hr 13 min. Very nicely cleaned up video. They spliced in the Thornton INT return

and the McQuay slip from broadcast footage , then a "the game is over" clip (without resorting to the music backed highlight clip.)
BC 1988
Legend

David wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:25 pm
I have the 1971 Classic from Empire recorded. It has the entire pre-game and commercials. I don't believe the 4th quarter exists from this game. I think it got destroyed. In its place is a narrated highlight piece (that of course, shows the infamous Leon McQuay fumble).

I was able to send a copy to a very appreciative Miss Grey Cup, Debra Barbagallo, who was featured just prior to kick-off (this is not shown on the telecast version that TSN occasionally airs).

I watched the whole GC Portal 1971 game (after looking at just the 4th quarter spliced ending last week). It is the same source you have (minus the commercials). Astoundingly good quality (apart from a few tape blips here and there).
BC 1988
Legend

I watched the 1974 GC on the portal last night. Another excellent quality recording. Rain soaked Vancouver (the last GC at Empire) with Don Sweet winning Most Valuable Canadian.

Kind of eerie seeing this today:
David
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:43 pm
David wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:25 pm

I watched the whole GC Portal 1971 game (after looking at just the 4th quarter spliced ending last week). It is the same source you have (minus the commercials). Astoundingly good quality (apart from a few tape blips here and there).
I watched the GC Portal 1971 game and was pleased to see the previously unavailable footage. Some really cool camera angles late in the 4th quarter. Still some missing footage but more than was available before.

My VHS tape still has more pre-game on it than GC Portal (which starts with the Dal Richards/Lionettes routine). Missing is a young marching band from Calgary playing "Games People Play." Also, the Miss Grey Cup piece and a couple of other elements.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Foxhound
Starter

Ken Clark was born in Southampton, England on 26 May 1948. After moving to Canada with his family he enrolled at St. Mary's University of Halifax where he played for the Huskies football team. His career with the Huskies ended on a high note as he won the Ted Morris Memorial Trophy as the Most Valuable Player of the 1973 Vanier Cup Game in which St. Mary's defeated the McGill Redmen 14-6. He then turned pro and played for the following teams:

1974 Portland Storm (WFL)
1975-1978 Hamilton Tiger-Cats
1978 Toronto Argonauts
1979 Los Angeles Rams (NFL)
1980-1983 Saskatchewan Roughriders
1983-1987 Ottawa Rough Riders

His one year with the Los Angeles Rams was capped off by the 1980 Super Bowl in which the Rams lost 31-19 to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Ken Clark was an outstanding punter and his lifetime punting average of 45.6 yards in the CFL was the record when he retired. Moreover he still has the fourth highest lifetime average a scant 0.2 yards per punt behind Damon Duval's 45.8 yards per punt. Clark was a league All-Star in 1977, 1980, 1982 and 1985.

He was also the kicker for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in 1976 and continued to do so on an emergency basis throughout his career. He kicked a 41 yard field goal into the wind in the last minute of play to give the Saskatchewan Roughriders a 32-30 victory over the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in the Labour Day Classic in 1983. The wind was so stiff that day that Clark had earlier unleashed a 101 yard punt which is still a Roughrider record.

He also lined up as a pass receiver on occasion. While he caught only two passes for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in 1976, they were both for touchdowns. By kicking the converts for his own touchdowns, Clark thereby joined a select pantheon of all-time CFL greats including Lionel Conacher, Huck Welch, Annis Stukus, Joe Krol, Jackie Parker, Gerry James, Kenny Ploen, Jim Van Pelt, Cookie Gilchrist, Don Sutherin, Tommy Joe Coffey, Larry Robinson, Don Jonas and Lui Passaglia. He also had a 71 yard reception for the Tiger-Cats in 1977 and an 80 yard reception for the Toronto Argonauts in 1978.

Ken Clark died at his home in Elmvale, Ontario near popular Wasaga Beach on 8 August 2021. Sad. May a CFL punting legend rest in peace.

:sigh:
Last edited by Foxhound on Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Radically Canadian!
squishy35
Legend

Back to 1985 BC at Toronto. Fernandez doing his dipsy doodle (as J Paul McConnell would say) at 1:50