Lions ownership discussion thread (Topics merged into here)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

One thing to get admitted to a prestigious university but another to stay in. Wonder if those rich parents have others write term papers, mid-terms and finals for their kids.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

What a hollow "victory" that must be for both the parents and the kids (to whatever extent the children even know this has been arranged). If so, here comes another generation of morally bankrupt individuals. Shudder to think. It's such pathetically disappointing human behaviour, and utterly infuriating. I here ya' KnowItAll, "grrrrr".
David
Team Captain

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:54 pm
What a hollow "victory" that must be for both the parents and the kids (to whatever extent the children even know this has been arranged). If so, here comes another generation of morally bankrupt individuals. Shudder to think. It's such pathetically disappointing human behaviour, and utterly infuriating. I here ya' KnowItAll, "grrrrr".
I suspect that this type of activity, Ernie, has been going on in various forms for years (obviously under the radar). Money can buy many things, including entrance. Somebody (Singer?) probably got a little too greedy, the network grew too large, and someone blew the whistle.

While Mr. Sidoo is alleged to have committed a terrible error in judgment here (not to mention a crime), I don't believe he is a bad person. He has given away tons of money to help out others. If convicted, one less potential suitor as owner of the Lions I suppose. :sigh:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:05 pm
One thing to get admitted to a prestigious university but another to stay in. Wonder if those rich parents have others write term papers, mid-terms and finals for their kids.
There is that for sure keeping up grades to stay in. I suppose though once the student has been accepted they can work the system a bit in terms of selecting course difficulty. Very valid question about the possibility of rich parents having others write other exams but if they've gone to the extent of rigging the SATs who knows where it all stops. Another part I found maybe even more bizarre is that apparently some went as far as to "cook" their kid's athletic resumes to also help them get accepted. I think it was Loughlin's daughters who were touted up as recruits for the USC rowing team although they had never participated in the sport before. Again once the student-athlete has been accepted I don't think they would be kicked out because they didn't make the rowing team. Feign an "old injury" and they might not even have to prove they can't row and simply give up the sport but continue with classes. The main thing is they got accepted. Putting that into a football perspective we always hear about players being deemed academically ineligible but I doubt they get kicked out of school if they maintain passing grades but aren't good enough to make the varsity football team.
Last edited by Hambone on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Good points. How freaking arrogant and stupid are anyone involved in this scheme?
Unless you have a body double or a fake dude going to classes, tutorials and exams, how in the bleep can you expect your kid to pass.

If they aren't doing well in HS and if they go straight on to college with no change, the kid will fail. That was why I waited until I was 23 to start my first degree. I knew I'd just have fun and crash out. Then I did two degrees without risk of failing.

And why are these arrogant dudes needing their show kid to top schools when you did well right here at UBC?

Conan O'Brien interviewed one of the fake students last night:

https://teamcoco.com/video/conan-interv ... to-college
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Huge disappointment in David Sidoo. Successful athlete and businessman. Heavily involved in charity. ''Local guy makes good.'' Benefactor to UBC. Potential owner of the Lions.

Very, very stupid move. Of course, nothing proven in court yet. Yet. Allegedly, $100,000 at a pop.

These guys writing the tests, with their particular brilliance, need to find better work.

If there is money on the table for the taking, it seems most people cannot resist.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:06 am
Good points. How freaking arrogant and stupid are anyone involved in this scheme?
Unless you have a body double or a fake dude going to classes, tutorials and exams, how in the bleep can you expect your kid to pass.

If they aren't doing well in HS and if they go straight on to college with no change, the kid will fail. That was why I waited until I was 23 to start my first degree. I knew I'd just have fun and crash out. Then I did two degrees without risk of failing.

And why are these arrogant dudes needing their show kid to top schools when you did well right here at UBC?

Conan O'Brien interviewed one of the fake students last night:

https://teamcoco.com/video/conan-interv ... to-college
Truth be told is that a lot of wanna be University Students are more than capable of doing the course work once they get in. They may not be top of the class but that doesn't really matter that much when you have Harvard University on your resume. The "cut" line is not really a good way of knowing who will and won't make it academically. It is more an arbitrary cut off predicated on things like available spots, financial means and good old influence peddling. There are more than a few students who have found their way into prestigious schools because someone, knew someone, etc. etc. Do any of us really believe Donald Trump has the required brain power to get into the Wharton Business school or has he made a habit of making sure that no one can see his actual scores because of modesty.

While the problem isn't restricted to the US by any means, their entire economic mantra kind of dictates that those who have wealth have more opportunities. Academic prowess means very little in the US if you are athletically gifted for example. I knew someone in my graduating class who got a scholarship to an Ivy League University. Was he smart? I won't say that he was dumb but he never gave much of an indication of being a dedicated student. What he was good at was Lacrosse. Does that make sense? I don't believe so but clearly in this scandal, that kind of mindless attachment to athletic success allowed for an exploitation of the system. Even if you are athletically gifted, is that really an important qualification to a centre of higher learning as far as admission goes? It shouldn't be. A lot of academically promising students don't make the cut because of spaces filled by persons who had other advantages.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ed Willes updates the ongoing efforts of local investors to buy the Lions. Not much has changed, other than the value of the franchise has fallen and the responsibility for negotiating a sale has been passed from ailing owner David Braley to team president Rick LeLacheur.

Ed Willes: Prominent Lions supporters willing to buy club, but does owner Braley really want to sell?
BC 1988
Legend

Farhan was a fill-in host (for Blake Price) today with Sekeres and they had a good discussion in hour 1 about the Ed Willes article.
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1350715
BC 1988
Legend

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1351480
Marco Iannuzzi was just on Donnie & the Moj (Abbott filling in for the Moj). Interesting take on the current state of the ownership situation.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Sooner or later the CFL has to pressure David Braley to sell for the good of the franchise. I think they want to resolve Montreal first, then look at the Lions. Eventually these groups may lose interest in buying the Lions and no one will want the Lions after David Braley dies. Need to sell the team before that happens.
David
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:37 am
Sooner or later the CFL has to pressure David Braley to sell for the good of the franchise. I think they want to resolve Montreal first, then look at the Lions. Eventually these groups may lose interest in buying the Lions and no one will want the Lions after David Braley dies. Need to sell the team before that happens.
One interesting thought floated by Sekeres in the link that BC1988 provided is that all his life Braley has made good deals. By passing on selling the team at its peak (and let's say it was the $14M offer, that he wanted $20M for). Now that it's not worth even $14M and no one is willing to spend close to that much to buy a diminishing asset, he can't bring himself to sell and will likely leave it to his estate to deal with when he passes.

I can see this happening too. He will never let go of the Lions for less than what he thinks it is worth, even though that ship has sailed. Despite his many good qualities, Sekeres and Farhan did mention his pride getting in the way and his stubbornness.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

One sure can't help but think the Lions really dodged a bullet with Sidoo who at one time had been looked at as a very desirable option as part of any ownership group.

https://3downnation.com/2022/04/16/form ... mp-scheme/
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:12 pm
One sure can't help but think the Lions really dodged a bullet with Sidoo who at one time had been looked at as a very desirable option as part of any ownership group.

https://3downnation.com/2022/04/16/form ... mp-scheme/
I was thinking the same thing, especially with most news headlines referring to him as "disgraced Vancouver businessman" or "disgraced UBC booster."

Disgraced Vancouver businessman David Sidoo faces new fraud allegations as co-defendants criminally indicted

Disgraced UBC booster Sidoo going to jail, after cheating so that his sons could avoid UBC