Lions in the local media (REVIVED thread 6-10-20)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

LakeLions wrote:Have any of you guys considered that it's smack in the middle of the Lions off-season
Yes. That's exactly what the first sentence of the first post on this thread says, if you'd read it.
David
Team Captain

Lions4ever wrote:
LakeLions wrote:Have any of you guys considered that it's smack in the middle of the Lions off-season
Yes. That's exactly what the first sentence of the first post on this thread says, if you'd read it.

Haha, yup. I am glad some of you don't work in PR or are in charge of the club's Communications with the "gee, what do you expect?....it's only March" resignation. You want to get as many people viewing, reading about, and discussing your brand as possible, 365. Some of this is self-generated (Social Media); the other part of the equation is traditional media.

And while I recognize that you're not going to garner much space this time of year (which is probably not true in some other markets **sigh**), some significant stories occurred lately in the Lions Den that The Province completely ignored. That is the bigger concern.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

Whitecaps vs. Lion's coverage in the media...

Bell Media owns TSN which of course runs TSN 1410, etc. Bell is the jersey partner (newspeak for advertiser on jersey) and "premier founding partner" of the Whitecaps. Bell is intertwined with the Whitecaps identity.

Whoever becomes the next owner of the Leo's, having a media partner that is a broadcaster would be a huge boon.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:Whitecaps vs. Lion's coverage in the media...

Bell Media owns TSN which of course runs TSN 1410, etc. Bell is the jersey partner (newspeak for advertiser on jersey) and "premier founding partner" of the Whitecaps. Bell is intertwined with the Whitecaps identity.

Whoever becomes the next owner of the Leo's, having a media partner that is a broadcaster would be a huge boon.
anybody but trump
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
CardiacKid
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:Whitecaps vs. Lion's coverage in the media...

anybody but trump
Trump is a caster alright.....a caster of sh*t.

Total sidebar but interesting nonetheless. There is a terrific documentary re. Trump and his role in the demise of the USFL that is part of the ESPN series "30 for 30". I think it is called "Who Killed the USFL?" and is on Netflix; at least it was on Netflix...Canada or US I don't remember.
Anyhow, the documentary lays the blame of the death of the USFL squarely at the feet of Trump. It postulates that Trump wanted to feed his ego by owning an NFL franchise and thought getting in the USFL was the back donor. He then very deliberately went about ensuring the demise of the league with the notion the NFL would then welcome the New Jersey Generals into the fold. Only he thought a little too highly of himself and got a royal smackdown when the NFL said no thanks to him and his team. I also found it very interesting how the film contrasted Trump with Canadian John Bassett, owner of what was perceived to be the model USFL franchise (I don't recall which team Bassett owned). A number of the people interviewed noted that Trump was only able to do his ego-centric Machiavellian manoeuvres when Bassett passed away far too young from cancer.
A worthwhile film to watch for the football historian....
aklawitter
All Star

Hambone wrote:Might be getting my 1040 personalities mixed up Sammy but if memory serves me correctly Rintoul is an unabashed 49ers fan.
that was the fired Matt Baker
Tighthead
Legend

aklawitter wrote:
Hambone wrote:Might be getting my 1040 personalities mixed up Sammy but if memory serves me correctly Rintoul is an unabashed 49ers fan.
Rintoul is as well.

This is where Bobby Ackles was missed. I say this respectfully; Ackles was like an old time carnival barker. He sold the sizzle. I remember before some of those big Western Finals he would be on 1040 twice a day updating ticket sales. He made you want to be there.

Even in the offseason he worked the market. He was a natural. It was on of his greatest strengths. Listening to Wally doesn't inspire interest in my opinion. It makes me, like I said, change the station, you know.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

aklawitter wrote:
Don't know much about Baker as I wasn't able to tune in to whatever time slot he worked (middle of the day?). I did however listen to Rintoul every morning when he was teamed up with B-Mac for BS in the Morning. And that was usually in fall and winter when atmospheric conditions make it possible to pick up the signal while driving to work in places like the East Kootenays and Peace River region.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I think one of the factors that doesn't help the CFL's cause is the fact it's the smallest league, with the fewest teams and the longest offseason. The NHL's offseason dead time amounts to about 7 or 8 weeks given the Cup is handed out sometime in early June followed quickly by the hype of the draft then free agency. Things don't really quiet down until mid-July then things start heating up by Labour Day as camps are getting close to opening up. Even if the local team is bounced out early in the playoffs or doesn't make them at all there is still plenty happening to keep hockey fans fed.

The CFL offseason lasts a full 6 months with 2 different long stretches of time where there is not a lot to cover. There's usually a flurry of news as the season ends depending on how many coaches get canned. This year was unusually busy thanks to the coaching carousel. After that things are relatively quiet for nearly 2 months save some player releases and contract extensions. Then there's another flurry of newsworthy activity for about 3 weeks surrounding free agency day. Then it's next to crickets again until the draft nears. That's another 2 month period of usually newsworthy inactivity. I know the NFL has been trying to come up with ways to reschedule their offseason as they are faced with similar issues with long gaps where not much is happening to keep the league in the focus of sports fans. They've been considering holding the draft later into May for that purpose.
Last edited by Hambone on Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

personally, I wouldn't call anyone in the local media a lion. Mostly they is weasels :wink:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Tom Mayenknecht
‏@TheSportMarket
At current pace of growth -- and a winning season -- @WhitecapsFC could overtake #Canucks STH base of just under 17K by 2017. #sportsbiz
Has Mayenecht joined Weber on the Whitecaps payroll? Up until a couple of years ago Lions season ticket based was >17,0000 and I didn't recall any comparisons to the Canucks then nor when it was 24,000 during the height of the club's resurgence under Bob Ackles from 2005-2008. Ridiculous.
dawg3648
Rookie

Yes he has Sammy, he's been all over the soccer bandwagon for months now. And for all the preaching and drum-banging Mayenknecht wants us to believe, that soccer is taking over, the fact remains that literally nobody watches the MLS in Canada. And its even worse in the States.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-ga ... 12544.html

Chris Zelkov's excellent weekly column on Sports TV Ratings clearly backs my claim. None of the three MLS teams even cracked the Top 30 sporting events watched this week, and none was over 100K. That's correct, Top 30!....this is a very large elephant in the MLS living room. These numbers have been consistent since their inception. And the numbers in the States ,proportionately, are even worse.

The league annually loses 100 million U.S. dollars.

But yet we have these two pontificating on about its bright future and "sunny ways". They gush about their "residency program" growing local talent. They are now starting their sixth year and it is my understanding it has zero starters who have graduated from this program. Hard lines indeed. They still have 6,000 seats covered up in the lower bowl.

And as for the best "sporting atmosphere" in the city....well I guess if the product on the field isn't entertaining you my as well drink, sing, let off the odd smoke bomb and entertain yourselves!...OK, apologies, cheap shot there.

I'm sorry but, at best, I can only see the MLS as being a fringe sport in NA moving forward. Yea, yea its the World game blah, blah and we should be catching up with everyone else. Either that or how about no thanks soccer we already have four or five sports that are of superior entertainment to your beautifully boring game. And we'll take a pass, again thanks, just like last time.

As Keith Olbermann put it so aptly...."Soccer, the future sport in North America, and always will be"
Qman
Champion

SammyGreene wrote:
Tom Mayenknecht
‏@TheSportMarket
At current pace of growth -- and a winning season -- @WhitecapsFC could overtake #Canucks STH base of just under 17K by 2017. #sportsbiz
Has Mayenecht joined Weber on the Whitecaps payroll? Up until a couple of years ago Lions season ticket based was >17,0000 and I didn't recall any comparisons to the Canucks then nor when it was 24,000 during the height of the club's resurgence under Bob Ackles from 2005-2008. Ridiculous.
right now the lions are at 16,459 season tix sold (if my math is right and lower bowl is capacity 27,000).
So they will probably get over that number by June.
dawg3648
Rookie

16,459? How you getting that number Qman? Enquiring minds have to know!
Qman
Champion

dawg3648 wrote:16,459? How you getting that number Qman? Enquiring minds have to know!
There are only 10,541 seats remaining on the lions website pick-a-seat for season tickets.