Lions in the local media (REVIVED thread 6-10-20)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

On the TSN 1040 website the poll result flipped--Lions were in front with 32%. Don Taylor (on the morning show with Brough today as part of Crossover Week) remarked that there is sometimes a big older skew (such as myself) on web vs twitter versions of the same poll, depending on the topic. Of course twitter total numbers are probably much higher.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:37 am
TSN1040 just did a poll about getting free tickets post-pandemic and which one listeners would prefer to attend.

This really points to the perception problem the club has. Marketing/advertising efforts have to be geared to changing misperceptions and stereotypes.

Here are some comments:
  • I get offered free lions tickets all the time and can't be bothered.. Fans are a bunch of old guys that smell like cigarettes and garlic sausage, not my cup of tea.
  • The Lions have, by far, the worst fan experience in Vancouver. Give me the C’s tix!
:bang:

DH :cool:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and sadly I'm hardly surprised by the twitter poll results, but why is it people always go out of their way to bash the club or the CFL?
Those two comments sound like people with an axe to grind. Former employees? Roughed up at a game?

For a while it seemed liked it was a mission of Whitecaps fans to cut down the Lions/CFL as much as they could to become the #2 team in town. There is the odd anti-MLS comment about the quality of play compared to Europe but nowhere near the same as the negativity towards the CFL.
BC 1988
Legend

I'm not surprised to hear about all the anti-CFL trolling. Even regular Twitter media posters describe it as a "cesspool". Trump has probably done more to raise it's reach than anyone, and they've only recently gotten around to moderating what he spews out on there.
BC 1988
Legend

I was listening to Halford & Brough in my car until 9am. Then I turned it on in my office and some canned ESPN talk was on. At 9:20 a recording comes on "stayed tuned for important announcement about TSN 1040" which was (paraphrased):
"TSN 1040 effective today is no longer a Sports Talk format station. The new format station will be on the air on Friday."

Then music.

Wonder what the implications will be for BC Lions broadcasts?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Bell Media has killed TSN radio stations in Vancouver, Winnipeg and Hamilton.

https://torontosportsmedia.com/2021/02/ ... liminated/

https://theprovince.com/sports/vancouve ... -with-cuts
BC 1988
Legend

And the announcement is on their site:
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040

Congrats to Halford & Brough for keeping up appearances--they had just talked to their last guest--Thomas Drance--and gave no indication they wouldn't be talking to him (or anyone) again.
BC 1988
Legend

From what I'm seeing (about how the closure was handled at 1290 Winnipeg) there might not have been any advance notice before 9am. They were also archiving interviews on the 1040 site right up to 9:00am (including the Drance clip). Then all gone. Incredible
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

BC 1988 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:38 am

Wonder what the implications will be for BC Lions broadcasts?
Suffice it to say they will be in the market for a new rightsholder. Maybe NW will pick themselves up off the mat and get involved again.

Also have to wonder about whatever SN station it is (650?) holding Canucks rights? No doubt they do well for game broadcasts but were lagging well behind TSN1040 in the ratings for all other talk show time slots. I wonder if they will be long for the world too. I generally never bothered to listen to SN650 when driving around up in my neck of the woods or between here and Vancouver. That was mostly because their signal was so much weaker than 1040. Many times I could listen to 1040 clearly while 650 would be at best fuzzy with static or nothing but static.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
BC 1988
Legend

Agree about SN 650. Bell cut the Sports Talk market leader in Vancouver. I wonder why they left Edmonton still on the air?

I'm listening to 650 today and their hosts are spending a lot of time talking about the closure.

It's hard to get used to the "sound" of this station--it's so flat in tone. All the voices sound the same and I'm thinking there is something wrong with the technical aspect (microphones, station signal) there. It sounds like AM Radio in the 1960s.

About 1/2 of the ads are the same as what was on 1040.

EDIT: I just listened to SN 650 on their player and and it sounds much better than their awful sound coming from the radio signal. 1040 did not have such a dramatic difference in quality between player/radio.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I feel sorry for all of the talent that has been let go from TSN 1040. I don’t know where this leaves Sportsnet 650 and what it means for broadcast rights to the Lions and Whitecaps.

I gave up listening to radio several years ago when I retired. I no longer spend time in my car every day. I can get all the sports and news information I need elsewhere. It’s a format that’s no longer relevant to me but the people behind the microphone have a wealth of talent, experience and contacts. I hope they can find a voice and an income elsewhere.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The effect of the TSN move was quite evident at the Lions’ news conference today when the only reporters to ask questions were Jay Janower of Global and J.J. Adams of The Province. Matt
Baker does a great job with team communications but it’s becoming much harder to get the Lions’ message to a broad audience.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

BC 1988 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:50 am
And the announcement is on their site:
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040

Congrats to Halford & Brough for keeping up appearances--they had just talked to their last guest--Thomas Drance--and gave no indication they wouldn't be talking to him (or anyone) again.
The sad and chicken-bleep thing about this is that while that link does take one to the announcement you won't find the announcement anywhere in TSN.ca. One gets the same announcement if they enter the tsn1040.ca URL. However if one goes to TSN.ca and clicks on the Radio link to find the path indicated in that link all you find is icons for the 4 remaining stations. On the main TSN website they treat the 3 shuttered radio stations and the staff who worked for them like they never existed.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Dusty
Champion

Pulling TSN 1040 off the air like Bell did yesterday is bloody awful. I am so pissed off at Bell for what they are doing to the Lions and the other sports teams in this market.

The only saving grace for their actions is that they did not replace 1040 with the Toronto sports feed.

I won't be using Bell products going forward....
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Dusty wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:53 am
Pulling TSN 1040 off the air like Bell did yesterday is bloody awful. I am so pissed off at Bell for what they are doing to the Lions and the other sports teams in this market.

The only saving grace for their actions is that they did not replace 1040 with the Toronto sports feed.

I won't be using Bell products going forward....
I was gutted. Almost had completed my commute to work listening to Halford and Brough then suddenly the US syndicated show comes on after 9 am followed by the cryptic announcement. To pull the plug remotely on them in the last hour of their shift and the entire station was heartless. I guess what can you expect these days from the big corporation world.
A lot of great talent out of work. At 61, hope to hear Don Taylor at some point again. A true legend and always a big Leos fan.

Sadly I'm sure there are some hosts at Sportsnet 650 that are now looking over their shoulders about their jobs knowing it was the station with the higher ratings that had the plug pulled.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

There is an opportunity for Sportsnet 650 to step up their game, if they want. There is suddenly a lot of good on-air talent available that would bring a loyal audience, if 650 acts quickly. To be brutally honest, much of the on-air roster at 650 is weak compared to what 1040 had.

Now will 650 seize the opportunity? I doubt it. That station seems to exist for only one purpose and that's to pump the tires of the Canucks and Aquilini.

As for the Lions, it still makes sense to end up on Sportsnet 650 simply because it's the only sport-talk station in the market. I can't understand why so many people hang on to this nostalgic idea about the Lions returning to CKNW. Those days are done. NW is not the dominant station they once were. Neil Macrea is dead. JP McConnell is retired and living in France. You can't get end zone seats at Empire Stadium with a bag of Nally's Chips anymore.

The issue with the Lions on 650 will of course be room in the schedule when the Canucks and Lions overlap. But I think the Lions will still be better served by getting moved to 1130 or JackFM for a couple of games each fall than being on NW for the full season.