Lions in the local media (REVIVED thread 6-10-20)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:23 am
Dusty wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:49 am
Another thought, does anyone know if the radio rights for the upcoming season are still held by TSN 1040 with the Lions and the Whitecaps or have they have expired for 2021. JC Abbott re-tweeted a notation that TSN Vancouver and Hamilton hold the CFL rights and usually the rights continue even during format changes. Just wondering.....
Neil McEvoy was asked that question yesterday during a wide-ranging interview with Marty Hastings of Kamloops This Week. TSN 1040 held the Lions' rights through 2022 but McEvoy said he doesn't know what happens next.
KTW: Among those ramifications for the Lions, is you had a deal with them through 2022, to be the official broadcaster. Now, they’re not there. What’s next for the Lions from a rights-holder standpoint?
NM: We just have to bunker down. This is such an early start of the process. We’re all shocked it happened. But I don’t necessarily know what the fine print is for the rights holders. TSN 1040 was a Bell Media corporation and, of course, Bell is still in existence. Again, I didn’t negotiate the contract, so I’m not really sure what the next step is, but I do know we are proud of our media property and we’re proud of what we give, so going forward we’ll have something, hopefully, so our fans can listen to us.

KTW: Would Sportsnet 650 be an option for the club if nothing works out with Bell?
NM: Again, I’m not sure. That’s a question for once we get closer to the starting date and a little bit further away from what happened yesterday. It’s all so fresh that it’s tough to speculate on what the next step is for everybody. (Commentator) Giulio Caravatta is an alumni of ours. He’s now out. So there are a lot of people who are still looking for jobs, I just don’t think … we don’t have the answers yet. That’s the easy answer, but we simply don’t. It’s just so early in the process.
B.C. Lions' co-GM McEvoy talks sad day for TSN 1040, broadcast rights, camp in Kamloops, Elimimian
Now that we have a season schedule that looks "real", the Lions radio broadcast rights need to get sorted out.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:56 pm
Now that we have a season schedule that looks "real", the Lions radio broadcast rights need to get sorted out.
When the Lions had a media session with Rick Campbell following the BOG's announcement the season would proceed, Marjanovich put up an instagram "story" from the scrum saying "back at work." No clue who he was representing or perhaps he was just observing.

You would think he is working with the Lions as part of the radio package that would also include Guilio as the colour analyst. It would be naive for me to think there is a ton of interest for any radio play-by-by rights these days.
Maybe CORUS Entertainment offers the same deal as they did to the Whitecaps which was on the 730 AM traffic station for the most part, not CKNW.
650 is so "Canucks all the time" it's unbearable to listen to and I'm sure they don't want to disrupt that, especially a Rogers owned station.

Bell Media may not want disrupt their comedy station on 1040 but they also have 1410 as an option. Given how they have been cool to the CFL's struggles during the entire pandemic I wouldn't expect any kind of support from them.

Maybe it's going the route of Sekeres and Price with some kind of live streaming. We should know soon either way.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

And 730 AM it is as the new home for Lions radio play-by-play along with the CORUS network across the province.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:54 am
And 730 AM it is as the new home for Lions radio play-by-play along with the CORUS network across the province.
That should give the team pretty good exposure. They have a consistent home, with the opportunity for cross-platform promotion on CORUS properties CKNW and Global, which is one TV station that still has a sports segment in its newscasts. The game coverage includes one-hour pregame and postgame shows. Other stations in the Lions radio network are:

AM 1150 Kelowna
CFAX 1070 AM Victoria
610 AM Kamloops​
1340 AM Ashcroft ​
1400 AM Clearwater ​
107.1 FM Sorrento / Shuswap ​
106.7 FM Logan Lake​
98.1 FM Blue River​
97.5 FM Avola

LIONS RADIO NETWORK
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:18 am
SammyGreene wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:54 am
That should give the team pretty good exposure. They have a consistent home, with the opportunity for cross-platform promotion on CORUS properties CKNW and Global, which is one TV station that still has a sports segment in its newscasts. The game coverage includes one-hour pregame and postgame shows. Other stations in the Lions radio network are:

AM 1150 Kelowna
CFAX 1070 AM Victoria
610 AM Kamloops​
1340 AM Ashcroft ​
1400 AM Clearwater ​
107.1 FM Sorrento / Shuswap ​
106.7 FM Logan Lake​
98.1 FM Blue River​
97.5 FM Avola

LIONS RADIO NETWORK
Not that I very often listen on radio as I'm either at the game or watching it on TV but looks like Corus has nothing for the northern 2/3 of the province.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Gosh, I hope I don't have to listen to Moj and Caravatta talking about food during a football broadcast.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:42 pm
Gosh, I hope I don't have to listen to Moj and Caravatta talking about food during a football broadcast.
Lol. Not unlike Pratt and Taylor talking about some f'n movie it comes with the turf. Maybe the Food Network will be interested buying some ad time. :wink:
BC 1988
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:42 pm
Moj was a guest yesterday on Sekeres & Price (Jeff Paterson filling in for Sekeres who is currently in hospital) . Interview starts at 2:13 on the July 6 "recent episodes". Site works well for archived eps, you can navigate anywhere you want. To listen live, there is no navigation--if you miss any you have to wait until they archive it at 6:30pm.
https://sekeresandprice.com
Anyway, Price couldn't resist asking Moj what he will try to get Giulio to eat on air (echoing the infamous Rick Ball broadcast where Giulio was caught eating an ice cream bar when he was supposed to be talking).
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Darn, was really hoping NW would be interested
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

The Lions by circumstance are going to need to really embrace social media, podcasting, and Youtube. I've heard more about the Seattle Kraken on 650 in the last 3 weeks than I have about the BC Lions.

The Lions are getting an hour a night on AM730 during training camp, but is anyone listening? Does anyone know or remember to switch to the all traffic station at 7PM? Get that content out as a podcast. Get it on Youtube. Facebook and Instagram Live. You want to reach a younger demographic? That's where you will find them. Not on a 24/7 traffic report AM radio station.

But then the Lions don't even have an app.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Belize City Lion wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:43 pm
The Lions by circumstance are going to need to really embrace social media, podcasting, and Youtube. I've heard more about the Seattle Kraken on 650 in the last 3 weeks than I have about the BC Lions.

The Lions are getting an hour a night on AM730 during training camp, but is anyone listening? Does anyone know or remember to switch to the all traffic station at 7PM? Get that content out as a podcast. Get it on Youtube. Facebook and Instagram Live. You want to reach a younger demographic? That's where you will find them. Not on a 24/7 traffic report AM radio station.

But then the Lions don't even have an app.
I've listened to the radio show as a podcast. It's also on the Lions' website, promoted on social media and airs on the Kamloops radio station that carries the Lions' games. That's the nature of sports media these days. Unfortunately, the Lions' radio guys only got to see part of one practice before training camp was cancelled. I saw Farhan Lalji of TSN once at camp. The same with Chad Klassen of CFJC in Kamloops. The few fans who were able to get around the locked gates and warning signs at Hillside Stadium were the only outside eyes on the team.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

BC Lions coverage have been abysmal to put it mildly. Damn Whitecaps or is it the Bells get more coverage
BC 1988
Legend

Since they went on the air in April, Don Taylor had promised/joked/threatened to unveil his "Save the CFL" plan. With Donnie and Dhali going on a summer vacation until Sept 7th, he did just that on Friday. (btw, the show has apparently been quite a success for CHEK-TV). He makes some good points:
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Love Don Taylor but kind of ironic saying Toronto spends too much time looking south and not east and west. Not sure how he thinks Vancouver is much better given the current infatuation with the Seahawks from most of the media as well.

Tried to give 650 a chance but officially done after yesterday when Halford and Brough said they are taking holidays until sports "returns" the week of Sept. 7 — NHL training camps, start of the NFL season and World Cup soccer qualifying were all mentioned. No acknowledgment of the Lions or Whitecaps set to return to BC Place or the start of the CFL season while they were on holidays.

650 is so overtop Canucks all the time it's absolutely ridiculous. It's like a security blanket that none of the radio/streaming media can let go of and realize it's the only way they will get a paycheck and all fighting for this ultimately tiny marketshare. Such a pathetic sports town and for certain there will be future casualties as they continue down the same path.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I'm with you Sammy. I too am a big fan of Taylor's but thought some of his ideas were alcohol-induced. Reduce to 16 games? Like the players are going to bite on losing 2 game cheques. I think depending on how things go to start this season you're more likely to see the CFL continue with no preseason games and move to a 20 game regular season.