All things Lions Marketing/Promotions 2014

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:I was really hoping the Leos could hit 30,000 for the season opener this Saturday against Edmonton but I have not heard much buzz or hype yet from the club. Yes, it's Tuesday, but they've got a lot of tickets to sell and Saturday afternoon is not too far away.

DH :cool:
Last year's pre-season game (vs Edm on Fri 13/06/21) drew 26,733 (which is the highest preseason attendance since 1990), slightly above the 26,445 we drew vs Cgy for this year's PS game.

The 2013 home opener was two weeks later on Thu 13/07/04 vs Tor and drew 25,255, almost 1500 less than the PS game, so there must have been a lot of freebies handed out, and I believe this is also the case this year.

This year there's only a week's lead time after the preseason game so I wouldn't be shocked to see the attendance dip again from the preseason figure, although having a divisional rival as our opponent and playing on a Saturday, even if it a non-traditional afternoon kickoff, might help offset this.

I think we'll be in tough to reach 30k. Looking at all 14 pre-Labour Day regular season games played @BCP in the post-Ackles era — i.e., since the start of the 2009 season (5 in 2009, 4 in 2012 and 5 in 2013), only three achieved this benchmark (one each year). These were all in August and two were against Ssk. We haven't really had a 30k July crowd since Ackles' passing. Our July attendances @BCP in this stretch (7 games, I'm including one that happened to fall on a Jun 29 date) have ranged from 25,109 to 29,351 with a mean of 26,964. The 29,351 crowd was for the 2012 home opener when Geroy broke the all-time receiving yardage record.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Qman
Champion

At least the lions should build a draping system in both upper endzones/corners similar the Twins did in the metrodome. You have shrink capacity (say 35ish) and shrink the space in the stadium to make it effective.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7660 ... dome_5.jpg
David
Team Captain

Personally I'd be in favour of an effective tarping system that can "dress up" the stadium, brand the team, and hide the empty seats. Curtains just leave me cold - there's no illusion there. I like what the Sounders have done in Seattle.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

sj-roc wrote:The 2013 home opener was two weeks later on Thu 13/07/04 vs Tor and drew 25,255, almost 1500 less than the PS game, so there must have been a lot of freebies handed out, and I believe this is also the case this year.
As a ST holder I was offered 4 freebies to use or pass on to friends. The only cost was to cover fees and taxes. I don't support papering regular season games but have long advocated papering of the exhibition games as a means of getting people out to the games with the hope they will return for the ones that count and eventually become ST holders. If there's a wart on the ex-games for doing that it's that more often than not they aren't terribly entertaining. I offered this year's freebies to my cousin down there. Like me he's a sports junkie and fan of all sports. He and his wife also have 2 young kids aged around 8 & 6. Things couldn't have worked out better. Sunny evening with open roof. Stamp fans might disagree but as an exhibition game goes it was extremely entertaining with the good guys winning. To top their evening off his daughter caught one of the specially marked mini-footballs and won a Samsung Galaxy notebook. I'm sure they'll be back again for more.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
sj-roc wrote:The 2013 home opener was two weeks later on Thu 13/07/04 vs Tor and drew 25,255, almost 1500 less than the PS game, so there must have been a lot of freebies handed out, and I believe this is also the case this year.
As a ST holder I was offered 4 freebies to use or pass on to friends. The only cost was to cover fees and taxes. I don't support papering regular season games but have long advocated papering of the exhibition games as a means of getting people out to the games with the hope they will return for the ones that count and eventually become ST holders. If there's a wart on the ex-games for doing that it's that more often than not they aren't terribly entertaining. I offered this year's freebies to my cousin down there. Like me he's a sports junkie and fan of all sports. He and his wife also have 2 young kids aged around 8 & 6. Things couldn't have worked out better. Sunny evening with open roof. Stamp fans might disagree but as an exhibition game goes it was extremely entertaining with the good guys winning. To top their evening off his daughter caught one of the specially marked mini-footballs and won a Samsung Galaxy notebook. I'm sure they'll be back again for more.
There were two women, prob about 20-25yo seated next to me who also had freebies. They showed up just before Cgy's (only) TD, in Q2. A little later they asked me when the game would finish.

They clearly had somewhere else to go later, and I told them 10p. But to ask such a question meant it was prob their first time ever at a Lions game. It occurred to me, the Lions need more people like this out to games in order to rebuild what Ackles did through 2008. They left just as Q3 ended, off to their next stop, but we chatted on and off a few times over the ~90mins they were there. I realised this being basically their first impression of the Lions, their opinion would be shaped at least a bit by how others around them acted. So I made a point to mention whatever positives I could of the Lions gameday experience without being too forced.

For example, the videoboard impressed them so I said it was 2nd largest in the world, only one bigger is in Texas. "Everything in Texas is bigger" they jokingly replied. At another point Geroy passed below us; I pointed and said out loud to no one in particular, "Hey it's Geroy!" They asked who? (First timers like I said) I quickly went over how he was one of our greatest players ever who just retired and the whole Geroy's Corner thing, how he'd always come over to salute the fans. An implicit "the players on this team care about the fans" message on my part; they seemed impressed. Even though they left quite early they seemed to enjoy it overall. There were several good Lion plays, and they'd get into it with clawing gestures, which isn't really something I'd noticed much before, but diff people will express their fandom differently. The main thing is getting them into the building to express it.

I must admit as someone who's come to BCP regularly for 19 seasons now, this was kind of fascinating, seeing people enjoy the Lions like this for the first time. When a promo for the Edm game this Sat played on the videoboard, one of them turned to the other: "Oh, we HAVE to get tickets for that!" Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking the credit. As you say, the free tickets gave them a taste, they enjoyed it and now they want back for more.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

Great job as ambassador, sj-roc. Here are my (re-posted) thoughts on the game:

I understand that the Global BC Family Zone tickets sold out for the preseason game Friday. Not surprising when you consider those tickets were selling for just $10 each. I did not hear about the Gemstone Gridiron Deck section which had the same $10 offer, but I assume it would have been the same or close to it (the Global Family Zone normally offers a FREE hot dog and soft drink, but that was not part of Friday's offer).

Interesting to see how fans embrace these two new sections for Saturday's home opener. Certainly the 3:00pm start time favours families and out-of-towners, and has served the Whitecaps well this season, but it's a long weekend. That was an outstanding 3 hour advertisement for Saturday's regular season opener, just too bad there's not an extra week in between home games. Still - and I know there were plenty of discounted tickets around - with 26,445 in attendance Friday, the Leos had the 2nd biggest gate of the CFL preseason (and that includes two homer Rider games), just 658 shy of Calgary. But having watched both games, if there was anything close to 27,103 at McMahon Stadium to watch the Bombers, I'll eat my shorts!

Other thoughts from Friday:

* Love the orange "Home Of The BC Lions" "Pride Lives Here" shroud that now covers the lower edge of the endzones. That row always looked like empty seats, but it's really just a row that connects another section of seats that go right to ground level (that the Whitecaps use).

* Was also impressed with how the Lions utilized social media on the big screen, showing all the recent "Tweets" about the game to @bclions (stuff like "here at Lions game with 4 friends. They look awesome so far!") as well as fans' Instagram pics. Great way to create fan engagement. Lots of young people at the game as well which was a definite bonus (NOTE TO MANAGEMENT - when you offer cheaper tickets, you encourage youth to come. When youth attends, you can become cool and relevant, and you keep the "CFL circle of life" intact).

* Does anyone know what capacity is now? There looks to be fewer seats available as the only upper deck sections now open are between the goallines on the Lions' side of the field. Interesting to see whether it gets expanded for big games (i.e. Roughriders) or if they want to encourage a "sell out" like the Whitecaps do (hope not!).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Qman wrote:At least the lions should build a draping system in both upper endzones/corners similar the Twins did in the metrodome. You have shrink capacity (say 35ish) and shrink the space in the stadium to make it effective.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7660 ... dome_5.jpg
I have a feeling that the Lions are looking to get fans to vote to make it like Whitecaps - very tight seating numbers - and ramp up the prices and say the fans voted for it. Mr. Skulsky says their fans IIRC earn 90000 annually which seems quite high for BC salaries for most from all data I have ever seen.

If you don't open the upper deck and fans wanted that it would justify the ticket price increase and save lots of dollars paid for stadium staff.

Being out of town a lot, I' m not sure if this still the Whitecaps model. Lions fans be careful what you wish for. Upper deck closing is exactly where Skulsky is going in my view.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/bc-place

15000 season tickets looks fine. Now fans just vote to close off that upper deck - make it more initmate and pay more.

Why grow the game if you can more easily reduce costs and raise ticket prices per seat?
Seating Capacity

The soccer-specific configuration at Whitecaps FC matches is 21,000, with a flexible draping system covering the upper bowl to create a more intimate and electric atmosphere.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Great job as ambassador, sj-roc. Here are my (re-posted) thoughts on the game:

I understand that the Global BC Family Zone tickets sold out for the preseason game Friday. Not surprising when you consider those tickets were selling for just $10 each. I did not hear about the Gemstone Gridiron Deck section which had the same $10 offer, but I assume it would have been the same or close to it (the Global Family Zone normally offers a FREE hot dog and soft drink, but that was not part of Friday's offer).
These budget-priced areas have shrunk and shifted from what they were in 2013. Last year they extended vertically along every row of the upper deck from top to bottom. Now it seems these areas only include double lettered rows (i.e., above the concourse access), and even some of the first few double-letter rows at the bottom end may also be cut off. The rest of the upper deck seating underneath these are red-zone priced, just the lower bowl seats directly underneath them (which is as they were last year, too).

The Family Zone last year was half of 446, all of 447, all of 448 and half of 449; i.e., the equivalent of three sections.

This year it's half of 444, all of 445 and half of 446, less the bottom few rows of each. So less than two full sections. The inventory of FZ tickets looks to be only about half of what it was last year, and I assume this reduction is based at least partly on 2013 sales volume.

The Gemstone Deck was also shifted from its 2013 location closer to midfield in similar fashion to occupy what was red-zone seats last year.
Interesting to see how fans embrace these two new sections for Saturday's home opener. Certainly the 3:00pm start time favours families and out-of-towners, and has served the Whitecaps well this season, but it's a long weekend. That was an outstanding 3 hour advertisement for Saturday's regular season opener, just too bad there's not an extra week in between home games. Still - and I know there were plenty of discounted tickets around - with 26,445 in attendance Friday, the Leos had the 2nd biggest gate of the CFL preseason (and that includes two homer Rider games), just 658 shy of Calgary. But having watched both games, if there was anything close to 27,103 at McMahon Stadium to watch the Bombers, I'll eat my shorts!

Other thoughts from Friday:

* Love the orange "Home Of The BC Lions" "Pride Lives Here" shroud that now covers the lower edge of the endzones. That row always looked like empty seats, but it's really just a row that connects another section of seats that go right to ground level (that the Whitecaps use).
For anyone who didn't get a good look at it, they tweeted a close up of it last Thu night:

Sneak peak of night b4 preparations at @bcplace for the first @BCLions game of the season! #ourhouse #readytoroar pic.twitter.com/D7ieTq1TMz
* Was also impressed with how the Lions utilized social media on the big screen, showing all the recent "Tweets" about the game to @bclions (stuff like "here at Lions game with 4 friends. They look awesome so far!") as well as fans' Instagram pics. Great way to create fan engagement. Lots of young people at the game as well which was a definite bonus (NOTE TO MANAGEMENT - when you offer cheaper tickets, you encourage youth to come. When youth attends, you can become cool and relevant, and you keep the "CFL circle of life" intact).
You put tweets in quotes; does this mean you think the ones shown on the board (or at least some of them) were fake/staged? I wouldn't think they would need to do this as there ought to be plenty of genuine material to display. But yes, I agree it's a great idea. I'd always felt right from the start they were underutilising the videoboard so I'm glad to see initiatives like this. Remember that scene in Fast Times at Ridgemont High where Damone is giving Rat his "five-point plan"? One of the points was, "Act like wherever you are, that's the place to be: 'Isn't this great?' " This is basically the same idea.
* Does anyone know what capacity is now? There looks to be fewer seats available as the only upper deck sections now open are between the goallines on the Lions' side of the field. Interesting to see whether it gets expanded for big games (i.e. Roughriders) or if they want to encourage a "sell out" like the Whitecaps do (hope not!).
Not sure but as you say it's definitely less than last year's, by five sections (as per how the budget seating has shrunk and shifted into what were once standard-priced areas), which I believe is about 2,500 seats.
David
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:You put tweets in quotes; does this mean you think the ones shown on the board (or at least some of them) were fake/staged? I wouldn't think they would need to do this as there ought to be plenty of genuine material to display.
I meant nothing by putting the word Tweet in quotes (but I can see how it could be construed the way you interpreted it).

I guess it was just a style choice as to "tweet" something is a verb for which not everyone is completely familiar. It's not really a household word for some people. A lot of people still think it's a dumb word. :wink:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
MexicoLionFan
Legend

David, I think what the Sounders did is outstanding...I would like to see you forward this to the Lions...like you say, brand the team, and make the stadium looked busy and full...curtains are beyond silly. Thanks for posting that.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
sj-roc wrote:You put tweets in quotes; does this mean you think the ones shown on the board (or at least some of them) were fake/staged? I wouldn't think they would need to do this as there ought to be plenty of genuine material to display.
I meant nothing by putting the word Tweet in quotes (but I can see how it could be construed the way you interpreted it).

I guess it was just a style choice as to "tweet" something is a verb for which not everyone is completely familiar. It's not really a household word for some people. A lot of people still think it's a dumb word. :wink:

That's exactly what I thought. But figuring some folks might misconstrue your meaning there as per my suggestion, I thought I'd get you to clarify it.

Funny how the word dumb entered into a discussion of twitter. heh heh

While it does have its benefits as a medium of communication, I also see it used too much as a tool of negativity.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote: .....
While it does have its benefits as a medium of communication, I also see it used too much as a tool of negativity.
Yes, IMO, it can/does have its benefits as a medium of communication. For e.g.You are waiting for a bus at Broadway & Granville and it seems to be taking forever...then you hear via twitter that a protest has blocked traffic, GREAT, I can zip over to CanadaLine and still get downtown just due to having some instant/useful information.

However, I've heard (as many have) of many people (celebrities/sports figures) who have said/posted things they soon regretted.....
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Twitter has become a major source of news and information, not only from official sources but from unofficial sources. It offers timely links to news articles as well as everything from breaking news on police incidents and political announcements to the thoughts and actions of individual CFL players. In the latter role it's a great way for fans to feel connected to players
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lions sponsor Save-On-Foods is running a promotion whereby reward points from their More Rewards loyalty card program can be redeemed for discounted or free tickets to the Sun Aug 24 game vs Ssk.

Details here:

https://www.morerewards.ca/catalogue/bc ... -august-24
Ravi
Legend

Well, the home opener on a Saturday afternoon drew 24,500 and change. As an Argo fan, I am grateful to David Braley that he has kept the franchise going and stabilized it but, unfortunately, he has done little to grow it. I see the same situation in B.C. Bob Ackles was growing the franchise but it has clearly been in stagnation mode since. I am surprised to see 15k season tickets sold in B.C. (in a Grey Cup year no less) when Ackles had the number up to about 24k a few years ago in an inferior stadium. I remember Braley saying prior to the new B.C. Place opening that he expected average attendance to increase to 35k to 40k. However, the Lions have been nowhere close to that and won't be this year either. What is Braley doing about this?