All things Lions Marketing/Promotions 2014

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:Anybody take a look at the tickets sales for the Calgary game looks impressive, I know there is the guaranteed night tickets ,
Looks encouraging. Eyeballing it I'd say about 50% of the ten extra sections (upper deck behind visitors' bench) is sold, about 80% other side. It's about 500 seats per section, or 5000 each side so that's around 0.5x5000 + 0.8x5000 = about 6500. Lower bowl has (eyeballing) average about a dozen singles per section left, with capacity about 27100, call it 26500 sold and that puts the crowd at 33.0k so far. So, already near a season-high figure, wouldn't take much more; granted, this is with GWN comps — of the four eligible games this one almost certainly has the most.
if the the lions could win the next 2 games that game could get 35,000 , I could imagine what the attendance would have been if there was no guaranteed night.
Yet another reason I don't like all this crossover talk I'm hearing. "Let's cheer them down to 4th place!" What kind of sales pitch is that? I'd have to think there'd be better buzz for this home finale if we still had a shot at 2nd going in than if we were locked into a lower seed with nowhere to go.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

Agreed sj-roc. Eastern crossover may be a case of "be careful what you wish for." Simply put, we don't play very well in the East (especially Hamilton and Montreal). We seem to perform much better in Calgary and Edmonton, for whatever reason (but we're still going to need very good game plans for both to host the Grey Cup).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:Agreed sj-roc. Eastern crossover may be a case of "be careful what you wish for." Simply put, we don't play very well in the East (especially Hamilton and Montreal). We seem to perform much better in Calgary and Edmonton, for whatever reason (but we're still going to need very good game plans for both to host the Grey Cup).

DH :cool:
Lions already have the plan to host the cup, hoisting the cup is another matter. :roar:
Spud387
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:One of the promo was when they take a fan onto the field, blind fold him, spin him around a few times and then have him try to find a target on the field based on the cheering from the fans. The funniest was when they introduced the contestant as from Toronto. The crowd cheered him straight to the exit. :wink:
And that's the reason that promo stopped. When the crowd starting ****ing with the contestant and one crashed into a sign at full speed (who the hell runs at full speed blind folded).
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Spud387 wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:One of the promo was when they take a fan onto the field, blind fold him, spin him around a few times and then have him try to find a target on the field based on the cheering from the fans. The funniest was when they introduced the contestant as from Toronto. The crowd cheered him straight to the exit. :wink:
And that's the reason that promo stopped. When the crowd starting ****ing with the contestant and one crashed into a sign at full speed (who the hell runs at full speed blind folded).
I recall the one fan who was announced as from Toronto and booed, but I think the sign crash was a separate incident that happened in Toronto, not here? It's probably a good thing she hit that sign; otherwise a few strides later she would have hit the wall with a lot less give and it could have been a rougher collision.

[video][/video]

The blindfold had her ears covered, too — maybe that's why she seemed to pay the emcee no attention. Interesting that this video has Toronto Star branding at the end; they have a long-held reputation for being not very CFL-positive, and this was posted from the Argos' official youtube channel.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Spud387
Champion

sj-roc wrote:
Spud387 wrote:
I recall the one fan who was announced as from Toronto and booed, but I think the sign crash was a separate incident that happened in Toronto, not here? It's probably a good thing she hit that sign; otherwise a few strides later she would have hit the wall with a lot less give and it could have been a rougher collision.

[video][/video]

The blindfold had her ears covered, too — maybe that's why she seemed to pay the emcee no attention. Interesting that this video has Toronto Star branding at the end; they have a long-held reputation for being not very CFL-positive, and this was posted from the Argos' official youtube channel.

You are right. The sign crash was in Toronto.

We did start misleading the contestants tho. Kind of hindered the give the person a chance to win aspect :p
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Spud387 wrote:We did start misleading the contestants tho. Kind of hindered the give the person a chance to win aspect :p
I don't recall it going sideways as you mention but before it did, I recall one guy who stood out as a bit sharper than the rest of the contestants. Most of them would just start wandering around right away after getting blindfolded without stopping at any time. But this other guy stood still, extended his arm, gradually rotated it around and concentrated on the crowd's reaction. He'd take a few strides when he found a direction they liked, then he'd stop (in case he started to wander off target) and repeat the process. I think he might have got there fastest of all the winners from that promotion.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

No, I am not a paid rep for Triple O's restaurants but.....

It is one of the frequent spots I hit before the Lions game. Burger/fries/bevvie (including booze!) before going to the game. I really like the location near CBC. I stopped in today and the regular manager was on. We were chatting and he didn't work the last Lions game (versus the Redblacks) because he got the night off to watch the game....

He admitted to me that the Lions game days/nights and Canuck games are THEIR BUSIEST times. He can't figure out why but the Whitecaps do NOT seem to have that same crush of people looking for food....

and then

It just seemed that the Lions seemed to be more interested in seeing how they compared based versus the Canucks. There were Whitecaps questions but they were few. It is possible that the questions (I worked in market research 20 years ago) were tweaked based on the fact I showed the Whitecaps almost ZERO interest. IOW, maybe a different set of questions would be asked of a Lions fan who hated the Canucks...?
So, the survey and my personal chat with the manager reinforced that there are different CROWDS out there. Whitecaps fans spend money and do things too. I wonder what places they goto? Are the same kinds of things being bought at the concessions etc.... I guess all three of these teams realize that they are serving an over-lapping but diverse market of people. IMO, I am glad the Lions are doing the research and hope they will learn things to help keep the team a success so I can continue attending the games at the stadium.....
aklawitter
All Star

My questions were heavily stacked towards Whitecaps comparisons.

I guess the survey machine doesn't differentiate between no interest in Canucks games and no interest in paying those ridiculous prices to attend Canucks games

And yes, I was particularly scathing in my reviews of the Lions Experience.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

aklawitter wrote:My questions were heavily stacked towards Whitecaps comparisons.

I guess the survey machine doesn't differentiate between no interest in Canucks games and no interest in paying those ridiculous prices to attend Canucks games

I took the survey and found that one series of questions was about game day experiences at Canucks games. Kinda hard to comment on sporting events that you don't attend.

I was critical of the Lions use of the video screen. TSN does replays better.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Here's my halftime show suggestion.

Two dozen mascots playing tackle football. Every week. That's it. Never-ending hilarity.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:Here's my halftime show suggestion.

Two dozen mascots playing tackle football. Every week. That's it. Never-ending hilarity.

Given the flat performances by the Lions O at some of this seasons home games, I wouldn't risk having a half time football game that is more entertaining than the real game. :shock:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
aklawitter wrote:My questions were heavily stacked towards Whitecaps comparisons.

I took the survey and found that one series of questions was about game day experiences at Canucks games. Kinda hard to comment on sporting events that you don't attend.

I was critical of the Lions use of the video screen. TSN does replays better.
What a poorly designed survey! One question asks how I got my tickets to attend Lions games. The options included single game tickets, 3-packs, corporate tickets or freebies, but not season tickets. The next question asked how I would likely attend games next year. One option was to renew season tickets (yes), but there were a half dozen other mandatory fields, including buying single game tickets, 3-packs, using corporate tickets or getting freebies. If I'm renewing my season tickets, I don't need the other options. And comparisons between fan experiences at Lions and Canucks games is bizarre. I had already answered that I don't attend Canucks games, yet the survey requires all participants to rate Canucks in-game fan experiences but not the experiences at Whitecaps, Giants or other games (I don't attend those either).
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I concur that the survey was poorly designed. One question was about attending Canuck games. When I responded with No, the very next question was about my experience at Canuck games. (mandatory field). When I answered No to renewing season tickets I get a pop up asking me to elaborate.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

If the Lions paid $ to have that survey done, then they got ripped off.

It might have been draw up by first year university marketing majors and would have gotten a D or D minus imo.