2013 Grey Cup: Hamilton vs. Saskatchewan - rooting for?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Which team do you want to win the 2013 Grey Cup?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:48 pm

Saskatchewan Roughriders
13%
Hamilton Tiger-Cats
88%

Total votes: 32
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Now that the finalists have been set, which team will you root for?

It looks like there hasn't been too much talk over the fact that this will be a rematch of one of the most exciting games ever in Grey Cup history in the form of the 1989 one in which the Roughriders squeaked out a 43-40 win after the Tiger-Cats has quite an huge early lead.

When cheering for a non-Lions team in a championship game, do you have a personal bias and affinity for an individual ex-Lion in hopes that they would win another Grey Cup?

If this will be the deciding factor, then there's some individuals on both teams.

For the Roughriders, first and foremost there's the obvious Geroy Simon who has served the Lions well and personally I hope he would win another Grey Cup ring as he's heading towards the end of his Hall of Fame career. Then there's also Ricky Foley and Jock Sanders. But there are also notable ex-Lions in the Saskatchewan staff - Barron Miles, Cory McDiarmid, and Craig Smith.

And for the Tiger-Cats, there doesn't seem to be ex-Lions in terms of current players but there's a notable trio for the staff. The most memorable Lions GC win still appears to be, arguably, the 1994 win and I mentioned before that the three-man team of Eric Tillman-Kent Austin-Danny McManus was a great group that made up the Lions championship team. All three men are now part of the Tiger-Cats staff. I'm sure internally Kent Austin still has strong personal memories as the 1989 offensive MVP in the 1989 GC over Hamilton and now, he's on the other side.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
swervynmerv
Legend

Hamilton!
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

One former Lion playing with the Ticats: Jamal Johnson.

Former Lions playing with the Wheaties: Geroy, Ricky Foley, Jock Sanders and Kierrie Johnson (the last one on the 9-game list)
korey&dante4ever
Champion

I don't bet on sports, but when I saw the Sask Roughriders at 10/1 odds (absolute ridiculous out of whack odds) before the season started, I put the maximum allowable bet on them. ($65).

The bet was intended as insurance just in case they won the Grey Cup because they are my least favorite team. Even with the potential of winning 650 dollars, I'm still cheering for the Ti-cats.

Go Cats.
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

as much as I am cheering more for ham, I think sask fans deserve to see their team win the cup in regina.

I think sask fans across Canada are the greatest supporters of the league, financially and otherwise. They have been rewarded far too little.

Its one thing to rib them, but truly I do appreciate them.

three thumbs up for riders faithful :thup: :thup: :thup:
Last edited by KnowItAll on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:One former Lion playing with the Ticats: Jamal Johnson.

Former Lions playing with the Wheaties: Kierrie Johnson
Yeah, forgot about the two Johnsons - Jamal was instrumental in the 2006 GC and Kierrie was a huge contributor in the 2011 GC with his long TD catch to allow the Lions to regain the momentum.

Perhaps you can ask - what's more memorable - the 1994 or 2011 GC? For the Hamilton trio above, as memorable as it was they were not long-term Lions as Tillman and Austin left shortly afterwards while McManus with his HOF career left the Lions only after one more season. While no doubt Simon contributed a lot more with his many seasons, 2 GC's, a MOP, and his league record.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
notahomer
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:as much as I am cheering more for ham, I think sask fans deserve to see their team win the cup in regina.

I think sask fans across Canada are the greatest supporters of the league, financially and otherwise. They have been rewarded far too little.

I hear you and I will be happy for most Rider fans if they win Sunday.... Its the obnoxious Riderfan I hope goes to be sad Sunday Night. I thought we had been cured his kind after the too many men penalty but alas he's making appearances on most fan boards trolling his way along.

I think the Hamilton fans are equally deserving to see their team win a Grey Cup. Okay maybe it would be better for them to win one in THEIR new stadium soon but I'm kinda hoping they get to practice a Cup victory celebration this Sunday......
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Greenies cause the West rules. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
swervynmerv
Legend

notahomer wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:as much as I am cheering more for ham, I think sask fans deserve to see their team win the cup in regina.

M
I hear you and I will be happy for most Rider fans if they win Sunday.... Its the obnoxious Riderfan I hope goes to be sad Sunday Night. I thought we had been cured his kind after the too many men penalty but alas he's making appearances on most fan boards trolling his way along.

I think the Hamilton fans are equally deserving to see their team win a Grey Cup. Okay maybe it would be better for them to win one in THEIR new stadium soon but I'm kinda hoping they get to practice a Cup victory celebration this Sunday......
I respect your opinion, but it's because of that loud obnoxious group of Rider fans that I hope they lose. Their team has done little over its 100 year existence, yet they go on and on about how they are Canada's Team and proclaim themselves the CFL' s greatest fans, which is a slap in the face to other great fans in cities like Hamilton and Winnipeg.

This newfound fan thing is just that new. It wasn't that long ago that the Riders were holding telethons to save the team. Rider nation makes it out like they have always been this supportive.

For this reason, I hope the Ti-Cats win on Sunday. They have a great, long suffering fan base who deserve the win the most IMHO.
Big Time
Champion

There is no team, and more specifically, no fan base I want to see lose more than the Riders. From the ridiculous exaggerations about how great their team is (they are average), to the nauseating claims that half the fans in each away game are cheering for the Riders (10% at best), to the way their fans revere their team,I have developed a disdain for the Riders like few other teams. As such, I want them to feel the worst possible hurt from a playoff loss. I don't think anything can top the 13th man grey cup in terms of sheer fan pain. However losing the Grey Cup at home would be a close second. As such, I am very strongly rooting for the Ticats.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I grew up in Hamilton, spent most of my adult life in B.C., so the TiCats are my second favourite team.

I will probably go out on Sat. night wearing my '65 Grey Cup Worn Ticat jersey: #61 John Barrow.
zark
Champion

Put a green sweater on a guy and this happens?

Ticats get my vote. They're every bit as good as a Rider fan.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
swervynmerv
Legend

Big Time wrote:There is no team, and more specifically, no fan base I want to see lose more than the Riders. From the ridiculous exaggerations about how great their team is (they are average), to the nauseating claims that half the fans in each away game are cheering for the Riders (10% at best), to the way their fans revere their team,I have developed a disdain for the Riders like few other teams. As such, I want them to feel the worst possible hurt from a playoff loss. I don't think anything can top the 13th man grey cup in terms of sheer fan pain. However losing the Grey Cup at home would be a close second. As such, I am very strongly rooting for the Ticats.
You make GREAT points! The Riders do hold the record I believe for worst winning percentage in Grey Cups,having only won 3 GC's in 102 years and losing 13 if I am correct.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If my Lions aren't in the big dance, I'll go with the other member of the cat family.......Ti-Cats.
Rammer
Team Captain

Have to go with Hamilton, would hate the host a GC and win a GC to be too common place, well at least with the exception of next year. :popcorn: :beer:
Entertainment value = an all time low