2013 Grey Cup: Hamilton vs. Saskatchewan - rooting for?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Which team do you want to win the 2013 Grey Cup?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:48 pm

Saskatchewan Roughriders
13%
Hamilton Tiger-Cats
88%

Total votes: 32
BC 1988
Legend

zark wrote:Put a green sweater on a guy and this happens?

Ticats get my vote. They're every bit as good as a Rider fan.
You're right. TiCat fans have been through a lot and their support has been strong, even through Ivor Wynne being in desperate need of replacement for years and the humiliation of having to go to Guelph this season. (Enduring some of the most bizarre weather at a few of those "home" dates.)

That was a funny thing about this season-- Seeing this logo on the sidelines
http://www.guelphtribune.ca/wp-content/ ... .logo_.jpg
I even saw it in use on the sidelines yesterday.

Add to that the TiCats 1-4 start to the season, and this would be a memorable GC victory if they can pull it off.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I like Hamilton. I don't think much of Kent Autin as a coach but the fact remains that in his two seasons as a CFL head coach, he is a purrfect 5-0 in the playoffs and is making his second trip to the Grey Cup.
jcalhoun
Starter

Hey all,

Well, count me in to cheer for Hamilton as well. When I was at the game in Guelph I told a couple people I thought Hamilton would make it, and at that point they looked kinda stunned to hear it. Everyone hates the Riders: they are the CFL equivalent of the Maple Leafs, Brussel Sprouts or the French. I'd like to see them lose just to prolong their agony and to be amused by all the threads on Riderfans demanding people get fired.

More importantly, I think it would be better for the league if the TiCats won. They're still rebuilding, as it were, and moving into a new stadium next year. That will be great for ticket sales, etc. And a nice reward to the new fans in the Southern Ontario market that have increasingly been tuning in on TSN. Not to mention the fans that stuck through the last 15 odd years in the hammer.

James

I'm sorry if I offended anyone here who happens to be French by comparing them to rider fans.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

A meteor.It would improve the aesthetics of Regina considerably.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:I like Hamilton. I don't think much of Kent Autin as a coach but the fact remains that in his two seasons as a CFL head coach, he is a purrfect 5-0 in the playoffs and is making his second trip to the Grey Cup.
His CFL record as a HC is beginning to make Wally uneasy about his own accomplishments, a win on Sunday and Austin is looking like the next one. Can't imagine what he will pull off once he figures this league out as a HC. His comparison has to be Benevides, same tenure, but much different results with I would say less of a team in each city, yet the 5 playoff victories to date, Benevides not so much.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Wow, just wow! I used to feel bad for the Riders. All those years of futility and nothing much to show for it. Then somewhere in the last decade, something changed, Canada's least fortunate team improved somewhat and then all of a sudden became Canada's "Favourite" team. The fans went from being ardent and long suffering to overbearing. Suddenly, with new found financial stability, came the assertions of the greatness, best fans anywhere sorts of bravado and very quickly on a personal level, sympathy began to wane. Then came some first hand experience with one particular Sask ex pat whose love for the team was unquestionable but their attitude and approach to all other teams and fans was ridiculous as was the reaction to disappointment when the Riders faltered. Over the top best describes it. A very poor ambassador for the team and its fans. (Now of note, this particular person ended up being excommunicated from certain fan circles in Sask as well which does say something about how ridiculous this person was on the subject.) Then there was the manure incident, the beer tin throwing incidents. allegations of pumped in crowd noise leveled towards us, overspending on cap (x2) and suddenly, the team in green was not only my least favourite, I had an active dislike for the fans, moreso than the team itself. I have to be very reasonable and rational where the Riders are concerned lest my disgust get out of control. Canada's favourite team? I think not. It is only if you factor in that most of the "away" fans left the province of their birth because of how sad sack it was to try and live there for so many years that this team has support outside of Sask.

It' s not really a laughing matter when a fan base can make their team the target of such dislike. No one enjoys the cocky, over confident, boasting fan regardless of what team they root for but it seems that the Riders have an overabundance of these types. I think they tend to do as much damage to their own team if anything but it is still annoying to watch and listen to.

I do expect them to win the Grey Cup, I hope that they don't. But more to the point, win or lose, it is the team that actually plays the game, not the loud mouthed, extremist fans who support them. For the players, they are worthy of a well done. The fans, not so much.
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:I do expect them to win the Grey Cup, I hope that they don't. But more to the point, win or lose, it is the team that actually plays the game, not the loud mouthed, extremist fans who support them. For the players, they are worthy of a well done. The fans, not so much.
The Riders also have loud-mouthed, extremist players such as Dwight Anderson who don't generate as much love.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:I do expect them to win the Grey Cup, I hope that they don't. But more to the point, win or lose, it is the team that actually plays the game, not the loud mouthed, extremist fans who support them. For the players, they are worthy of a well done. The fans, not so much.
The Riders also have loud-mouthed, extremist players such as Dwight Anderson who don't generate as much love.
Ol' Dwight has been the same since his Calgary days and Montreal Days. He is what he is, some players you can respect, some you can't and it is the same with Fans. Some you can respect for their knowledge, tact and class, some you can't.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:I like Hamilton. I don't think much of Kent Autin as a coach but the fact remains that in his two seasons as a CFL head coach, he is a purrfect 5-0 in the playoffs and is making his second trip to the Grey Cup.
I'm not a Kent Austin fan either....I find him obnoxious a times. Hamilton's offence was very bad in the East-Semi Final and they were fortunate to be in the Eastern Final. That said, Hamilton has had its struggles for many seasons and it would be great for the franchise and the city to win the Grey Cup..and so I'm cheering for the Tabbies.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lions Fan in SK
prospect

B.C.FAN wrote:
And Darian Durant and Kory Sheets. Between these three, I cannot cheer for the Riders.
Lions Fan in SK
prospect

Hamilton has my support. We are only two days removed from the WF and all I am hearing is how no one is going to come and take the Rider's Grey Cup from them, how Calgary thought they were so much better and Durant wasn't letting them in HIS dressing room and the latest is "how should SK treat Kent Austin?" They even tossed around the idea of taking down his banner at Mosaic. They are obnoxious!!! Even my husband (who isn't a big football fan) says that he won't watch because he's embarrassed that I'm a Lions fan. I respond with I'm from BC originally --- what about all the Rider fans in other cities? He says that's different. :bang:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wonder if the infamous 13th man will put in an appearance
pennw
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Wonder if the infamous 13th man will put in an appearance
What , the refs ?
South Pender
Legend

I kinda hope the Riders win. First, they're a Western team. Second, what besides the Riders do fans in Saskatchewan have to cheer about? It's all the poor b*ggers have, so let's allow them a little joy!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Lions Fan in SK wrote:Hamilton has my support. We are only two days removed from the WF and all I am hearing is how no one is going to come and take the Rider's Grey Cup from them, how Calgary thought they were so much better and Durant wasn't letting them in HIS dressing room and the latest is "how should SK treat Kent Austin?" They even tossed around the idea of taking down his banner at Mosaic. They are obnoxious!!! Even my husband (who isn't a big football fan) says that he won't watch because he's embarrassed that I'm a Lions fan. I respond with I'm from BC originally --- what about all the Rider fans in other cities? He says that's different. :bang:
I thought post game that Durant and Sheets were two of the least classiest interviews as they wouldn't let go of the pre-game trash talk and someone in "my stall." That is great pre-game but you should let that go post game.

Durant did not acknowledge the Stamps injuries but how they saw how they could run right over them on tape. Real classy.

Ironically, it was Jon Cornish for the Stamps showing class and how their team didn't come ready to play - and they didn't!!! - versus the Riders who he credited. But then again I have noticed a new, more mature Jon Cornish this year who came out and manned up - faced the media - made no excuses - and acted like a man.

Players often - among themselves and friends might really dislike another team - but they show class in the media and don't come across so arrogant as Sheets and Durant.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy