Burke Fired

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

zark
Champion

I thought he WAS fired. One step forward. Remember this. We have to start worrying about the Bummers in the standings.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
South Pender
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=436518

Anybody surprised ?
Perhaps only Burke. He did say not long ago that he deserved to come back in 2014.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Khari Jones seems to be the leading candidate for head coach, but he's currently busy as QB coach of the Riders. Burke was a good DC and terrible HC. If his ego allows it, the Bombers could take him back as DC.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Not a surprise. I disagree that he was a good DC. When he was the Bomber DC in 2011, the defense started to go downhill about mid season and has continued downhill since. IMO, it makes no sense for either him or teh Bombers to bring him back as DC.

Not only that, how would that be to Burke's advantage. He'll get paid his HC salary for doing nothing. From a PR point of view I'm not impressed by Miller even suggesting that as a possibility. That would e something up to th GM and eventual HC to decide.

There is a fear in Winnipeg that Miller may be too hands on as a CEO. Lots of mentioning about bringing back ex Bomber types: Khari Jones, Dyce, Wiley and even Lapo?????

I can't see Khari Jones ready to step into the HC position for any team at this point. The fact he and Miller were previously business partners and still good friends does nothing to encourage me that Miller is doing anything besides hiring ex buddies.

I also find it alarming that Miller was essentially annointed as CEO with no extensive search for other candidates. While he may turn out to be a good choice, the process of no real search is a major concern for me.

Ditto if he just appoints Walters as the next GM. From a bad ST coach to AGM to GM in less than a full seasn. Horrible PR.
Last edited by Blue In BC on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Anybody surprised ?
Yah, I thought he would have gotten it sooner than Kavis.....

I'm just glad the Bombers are back where they belong, IMO, in the WEST. I'm sure they'll be a handful next season....
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Burke should land a DC job, where he belongs, very quickly.
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:

Anybody surprised ?

I'm just glad the Bombers are back where they belong, IMO, in the WEST. I'm sure they'll be a handful next season....
No surprise, and now the Bombers can hire Reed as the HC, knowing that he has been released from his contract with the Esks and should come at a reduced salary for this upcoming season. Plus he could then sign Kerry Joseph when he is released. :cool:
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:Not a surprise. I disagree that he was a good DC. When he was the Bomber DC in 2011, the defense started to go downhill about mid season and has continued downhill since. IMO, it makes no sense for either him or teh Bombers to bring him back as DC.

Not only that, how would that be to Burke's advantage. He'll get paid his HC salary for doing nothing. Form a PR point of view I'm not impressed by Miller even suggesting that as a possibility. That would e something up to th GM and eventual HC to decide.

There is a fear in Winnipeg that Miller may be too hands on as a CEO. Lots of mentioning about bringing back ex Bomber types: Khari Jones, Dyce, Wiley and even Lapo?????

I can't see Khari Jones ready to step into the HC position for any team at this point. The fact he and Miller were previously business partners and still good friends does nothing to encourage me that Miller is doing anything besides hiring ex buddies.

I also find it alarming that Miller was essentially annointed as CEO with no extensive search for other candidates. While he may turn out to be a good choice, the process of no real search is a major concern for me.

Ditto if he just appoints Walters as the next GM. From a bad ST coach to AGM to GM in less than a full seasn. Horrible PR.
The CEO appointment process was pretty much a done deal when they annointed him. Some of his statements suggest that unlike BC Lions where you have two reporting lines to the sole owner (Skulsky on biz ops and Buono on football ops with Buono accounting likely to Skulsky only on budget - my guess as to how that works based on media reports this CEO in WPG suggests he's going to be involved in the football side. The A/GM might be good this suggests that the control might be exercised from the CEO on.

As to Burke, he could be forced to be DC in order to keep getting paid unless he takes on another job elsewhere as when you are fired in Canada you are under a legal obligation to mitigate the loss (meaning you have to search for a job) and you can't just sit on the beach until the money runs out. Of course a new HC might have his own ideas on DC. This is not generally enforced or pushed by companies BUT I know of some who have in mean spirited ways gone after former managers who chose to holiday the time their were on salary continuance.

For the Bombers, they must now have more guys being paid for not working for them than paid for actually coming to the office.

LaPo might be a good choice for them. I am sure he has learned a lot of good lessons from that experience.

Reed - while he has promise there are lots of rumblings he's ill suited to be a HC - can't keep assistants. Edmonton media said if he had kept his job he would have had to find another new set of assistant coaches this year and this was one of the reasons he was fired. He is unfocused it seems.

Lots of openings in the CFL.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
notahomer wrote:

Anybody surprised ?

No surprise, and now the Bombers can hire Reed as the HC, knowing that he has been released from his contract with the Esks and should come at a reduced salary for this upcoming season. Plus he could then sign Kerry Joseph when he is released. :cool:
from burke to reed is like from the frying pan to the fire.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
BC 1988
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:from burke to reed is like from the frying pan to the fire.
No kidding.

"... There has to be consequences now... there has to be consequences."
:wink:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Esks, Bombers, Redblacks, and possibly Als all looking for new HCs and assistants. Look for top teams like Stamps, Riders, Argos to loose staff. 2014 will have a different look at least in the coaching ranks for a lot of teams.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:from burke to reed is like from the frying pan to the fire.
No kidding.

"... There has to be consequences now... there has to be consequences."

:wink:
Little did he realize at the time that he was the consequence.