Sask 29 BC 25 Post Game Comments and Stats

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

lion24
Legend

maybe phillips has talked his way to ottawa, we can only hope, this guy is one of the main reasons for the lions giving up big plays all year and frankly i have grown tired of his unwillingness to tackle or even attempt to fight through a block, he is not an allstar,sorry :bang:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The most frustrating part of Durant's runs was that they were all designed plays. I knew what was coming on every play. Handoff to Sheets on first down and a QB draw on second down. It was extremely conservative play-calling but the Lions couldn't stop it. Head Coach Corey Chamblin credited OC George Cortez for calling the plays and credited Durant for executing them.
“Darian played like the Darian of old,’’ Riders head coach Corey Chamblin said Sunday. “He played like the Darian who kept me out of a couple championships (when Chamblin was employed by the Stampeders). Darian stepped up to the plate when we needed it. We struggled in a couple of areas and then Darian just stood up and took it over.’’
“I haven’t been running the ball all year and I knew that I could be a bit of a secret weapon,’’ Durant said.

The veteran quarterback rushed for 91 yards on four carries over the third and fourth quarters on Sunday. Durant had runs of 15 and 38 yards during a six-play series that was capped by a 10-yard touchdown pass to Weston Dressler early in the fourth quarter. Milo’s convert reduced B.C.’s lead to 25-22 with 13 minutes remaining in the fourth quarter.

Durant, who finished with six carries for 97 yards, also had runs of 28 and 13 yards in the final quarter. Chris Milo connected on two of his five field goals in the fourth quarter as the Riders earned their first home playoff victory since 2010 when they beat the Lions 41-38 in double overtime in the West Division semifinal. The Riders went on to beat the host Stampeders 20-16 in the 2010 West Division final.

“Darian was running like the Darian I remembered in 2009 and 2010,’’ said Chamblin, who was Calgary’s defensive backs coach from 2008 through 2010. “He was running like the Darian that we couldn’t bring down. He was always breaking tackles and he changed the game. That’s what he did (Sunday), he changed the game.
“All of those were designed runs,’’ said Durant, who completed 19 of 23 passes for 270 yards and two touchdowns. “The line did a great job of blocking it up. You have to give (running back Kory Sheets) credit too because he blocked those linebackers. It worked out for us.’’
Regina Leader-Post article

For me, the Paris Jackson holding penalty late in the third quarter was the turning point. The offence looked unstoppable up to that point. The penalty took the Lions out of field goal range. A field goal would have given the Lions an 11-point lead. A TD would have resulted in a 15-point lead. The Riders would have had to be much more aggressive in their play calls in the fourth quarter.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:Are we sure we have this right about signalling in plays? In the game today, the TSN guys (might have been Rod Black) mentioned something to the effect that BC was getting their offensive plays in very efficiently (partly via radio).
According to Buono the Lions DO NOT bother to use the radio. Its ineffective in too many stadiums.....

The Ticats were using one of those message board systems holding up laminated plastic messages that their QB deciphers...
BC 1988
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:[
Chapdelaine has driven me nuts at times too but we needed a fricken miracle to score a major from our own 35 with 28 seconds left. Bottom line is McCallum punted from the Riders 48 on 3rd and 6 with 3:07 remaining and BC didn't see the ball again until the game was essentially over after the Saskatchewan FG made it a 4 point game. Hell if Benevides knew the Riders would have been unstoppable (which they basically were for the entire 4th quarter) he probably goes for it from there.

All three of Durant's scrambles on their last drive came on 2nd and long situations where the Lions had the opportunity to get the ball back with no further points. It was gut wrenching to watch and a major letdown by the entire defence, including Stubler and company.

How bad was the BC defence down the stretch? Riders last 3 scoring drives started on their 35, 23 and 23 yard line. Didn't see the stat but time of possession in the 4th quarter must have been ridiculous.
Best assessment of why the Lions lost. Benevides thinking that they wouldn't need the wind advantage in the 4th quarter didn't help either. They would have been more likely to try a FG with that advantage. I heard in pregame on 1410 that McCallum was missing all of his practice kicks at +45 yards.

It was funny watching Sean Whyte missing his first FG attempt yesterday in much worse conditions in Guelph. He had been having trouble in games prior to this, but pulled it together for his later attempts. Makes you wonder what could have been if the Lions had gone with him as their PK.

I think the Lions need a younger boot for both Punting and FG's.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:I noticed in an NFL game today that they had some large coloured signs on the sidelines that they were holding up as some sort of play or formation calling. I'm not totally against signalling in plays, it just needs to be less complex and convoluted. A new OC would probably fix that.

The old system from years ago was to send a player substitution guy in with a play. It would work well if the Lions continue to platoon Harris and Logan next year.
Calgary and Hamilton were using sideline signs. I guess this is the latest fad to neutralize the crowd noise. Just a matter of time before other teams in the CFL start using them with the exception of our Lions. JC (if he still here) will be twirling his index finger from the sidelines.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
DanoT wrote:I noticed in an NFL game today that they had some large coloured signs on the sidelines that they were holding up as some sort of play or formation calling. I'm not totally against signalling in plays, it just needs to be less complex and convoluted. A new OC would probably fix that.

The old system from years ago was to send a player substitution guy in with a play. It would work well if the Lions continue to platoon Harris and Logan next year.
Calgary and Hamilton were using sideline signs. I guess this is the latest fad to neutralize the crowd noise. Just a matter of time before other teams in the CFL start using them with the exception of our Lions. JC (if he still here) will be twirling his index finger from the sidelines.
He'll prob make up big flash cards with the hand signals on them.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:Phillips' frustration and comments are interesting. He thought the defence was playing it "too safe" in the late going. I'm guessing that's dropping too many guys into pass coverage rather than putting extra heat on Durant or even having a frickin spy to eliminate the potential QB draw.
I would have thought Stubler would have learned his lesson in that Montreal road game debacle where they went into a prevent with the Als on their own 10 yard line with a rookie QB at the helm.

Phillips also didn't like the call on the 2nd Dressler TD. Not sure what he is referring too but on the replay the Lions send Larose on a safety blitz which might have left Bell on an island with the Riders most dangerous receiver and Bell looked bad trying to under cut the route.
Then again it beats Dressler's 1st TD where he is somehow matched up with Larose. :bang:

Still haven't watched the replay of this but it's going to be tough. Maybe I will watch just the 1st 50 minutes and figure there's is no way they are going to lose this game. :sigh:
I thought most of Durant's Lion-killing runs weren't designed draws but rather making the smart read to step up and take off because he had nobody open, the protection was starting to breakdown and it seemed like there was no Lion to be seen for 20 yards behind the DL. But maybe that was the design. I thought the D did an outstanding job in the absence of Elimimian through 3 quarters but couldn't help but wonder how things might've unfolded in the 4th had #56 been patrolling the middle.

Dressler is the one Rider I fear the most. Allowing him to go one on one with any DB is a matchup the Riders will gleefully take every time. I don't know what move he put on Bell on the play where Larose blitzed but it froze Bell for a half a step and that was all she wrote. He might've sold the move inside then went outside.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:

He'll prob make up big flash cards with the hand signals on them.
Hopefully he'll be doing that with another team next year :cr:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I don't really get all the hand-wringing about the signalling in of plays. Teams were using hand signals well before the headsets came around. I used to get a charge out of watching Paopao signals especially the hand cupped under the armpit while flapping his arm like he was trying to make a farting sound.

QBs are the only ones allowed to wear headsets. Hand signals are used on the defensive side of the ball seemingly without problem. Part of the justification for keeping with the signals I thought was the fact they are effectively always on. The headsets automatically turn off when the play clock drops to 10 seconds. They rely on a CFL employee to turn them on when the play is whistled dead and to turn them off when the play clock hits 10. Opportunity for human error or technical difficulties there. Regardless I'd think if they were experiencing frequent confusion with the QB misinterpreting the signal or were getting nailed for delay of game a lot they'd go for the radio solution. Yet I don't think I can recall the Lions incurring many if any delay of game penalties this season. Certainly they don't incur them with any more frequency than any other team.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:I don't really get all the hand-wringing about the signalling in of plays. Teams were using hand signals well before the headsets came around. I used to get a charge out of watching Paopao signals especially the hand cupped under the armpit while flapping his arm like he was trying to make a farting sound.

QBs are the only ones allowed to wear headsets. Hand signals are used on the defensive side of the ball seemingly without problem. Part of the justification for keeping with the signals I thought was the fact they are effectively always on. The headsets automatically turn off when the play clock drops to 10 seconds. They rely on a CFL employee to turn them on when the play is whistled dead and to turn them off when the play clock hits 10. Opportunity for human error or technical difficulties there. Regardless I'd think if they were experiencing frequent confusion with the QB misinterpreting the signal or were getting nailed for delay of game a lot they'd go for the radio solution. Yet I don't think I can recall the Lions incurring many if any delay of game penalties this season. Certainly they don't incur them with any more frequency than any other team.

Well late in the game (too late) his hand signals weren't helping and delayed play calling - yes it was too late then BUT it was a time waster and delaying tactic. This offensive team culture was boring this year and it has to change. Out the door with the silly.

Two things said by BC Lions that show how the culture of this organization needs to change that have not been said by any other pro coaches that show this team has its collective judgment in the wrong places:

1. It is hard to teach run blocking to an O line.
2. hand signals to the QB are better than speaking into the headset. All this 'noise' from the Lions about the crowd, plays get in faster, keeps QB heads in the game - are bogus and when it was late in the game the hand signals delayed. DEF coaches use decoys to help them send in plays. HAM used signs and head set to communicate - that is fine. But JC is mostly a loner on this stuff.

Every coach has his eccentricities but why can't Chapdelaine's be on something that if done right will win games.

Ricky Ray - undisputed future HOF QB laughed and ridiculed JC for being out on the field a day before a game practicing his hand signals. Is that the highest value and best use of his time (or having the QBs have to get that down)? I suggest not.

Signals are stolen and picked up as both teams can see them. Why not use the head set like other teams do and in stadiums with sound at decibels above WCB standards like in the NFL where there are far more people?

JC's side show distractions show to me he wants to be the show.

MB's running up and down and cheer leading shows me he is not focused on the role of the HC and late game decision making has been absent.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:I don't really get all the hand-wringing about the signalling in of plays. Teams were using hand signals well before the headsets came around. I used to get a charge out of watching Paopao signals especially the hand cupped under the armpit while flapping his arm like he was trying to make a farting sound.

Agreed. Most teams use hand signals on both sides of the ball. The Lions use hand signals and QB radio communications. It's the best of both worlds and more reliable than electronic equipment alone, judging by all the frantic gestures I've seen from quarterbacks who couldn't hear what the coaches were saying. During one game this year, the Lion QBs were swapping helmets because only one of them had a working radio.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I think some fans frustration with the handsignals is that we assumed (WRONGLY) that headset technology would bring about the end of a need to do handsignals. Really though, I have to admit of my peeves or concerns, its pretty far down the list. Whatever is going to work, do it.....
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:I think some fans frustration with the handsignals is that we assumed (WRONGLY) that headset technology would bring about the end of a need to do handsignals. Really though, I have to admit of my peeves or concerns, its pretty far down the list. Whatever is going to work, do it.....
I think the hand signals is about where the Lions priorities with the OC are.

Remember this is the same OC who says it is too hard to teach run blocking BUT for every game it is not too hard for QBs to learn new signals for what should be a huge playbook.

My honest assessment is this:

> that last game late it broke down with all that signalling late in the game when they couldn't get plays in - dumb. Other teams speak it in.

> when he gets into a rut as he does at times I think he can't remember other signals as there are too many. When you need to open the play book recalling a hand signal should not hinder that.

> Why get QBs learning stuff they don't need to? Get them watching film on opponents!! Higher value time.

> it shows where that the wrong priorities are focused on at times - that has to end.

It appears this is about Chapdelaine looking cool and showboating vs. a honest need as other pro teams don't constantly complain of this.

Look at how the Eskimo players saw this. Does Ricky Ray sound like a guy who mocks his coaches like this? This should have been a lesson learned by JChapdelaine as he is now on the firing line here in BC.

I just find that between the HC now and JC there is too much showboating on the sidelines and not enough good decision making in games.
And it may someday feel as if he was never openly mocked by the Eskimos after he was fired in November.

"In a way, that was so funny. The day before a game you'd see Jacques rehearsing his hand signals," Esks quarterback Ricky Ray told the Edmonton Sun.
How did BC Lions see his return:
Several players say they expect Chapdelaine will be flashing signals as he did in the past, however, and regardless of title it is clear he will have input into the offence.
There needs to be some learning from BC and if not it will be same old next year.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
South Pender
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:

Agreed. Most teams use hand signals on both sides of the ball. The Lions use hand signals and QB radio communications. It's the best of both worlds and more reliable than electronic equipment alone, judging by all the frantic gestures I've seen from quarterbacks who couldn't hear what the coaches were saying. During one game this year, the Lion QBs were swapping helmets because only one of them had a working radio.
OK, now we seem to have the true picture regarding the signalling in of plays by the Lions coaching staff. They do use radio signals. I agree with Hambone and B.C. Fan: the use of hand signals is not an issue that we should be overly-concerned about, nor something that should be blamed for our poor performances (both offensive and defensive) at times this season. There are far more important issues facing both the offense and defense.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

I have to agree with the first comment.

I knew that when I saw three lineman on the line we were going to lose this game. I just couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Stubler is not the only one, I see it by everyone in all sports.. they just have this fear that sets in when ahead. Why is it so hard to keep doing what you were doing that put you in the lead for most of the game?

We had them beat. We are the better team. Then a very poor coaching decision set in. :bang: