Leos/Riders Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Well, the 2013 season is over. Very tough loss.

We had 203 yards of rushing and 398 yards of offence and a 9 point lead going into the 4tth quarter.

But we allowed the Riders some big plays in this game.

We controlled Sheets but when we needed to come up with some stops in the 4th quarter our defense allowed Durrant to run wild, when it was obvious he was looking to run, and yet we didn't spy him.

It should have been an upset in the making but unfortunately we allowed the Riders to come back.

Hearbreaking.

B. C. Passing

LULAY, T 19 25 195 0 0

SSK Passing

DURANT, D 19 23 270 2 0

BC Rushing

HARRIS, A 10 93 17 0
LULAY, T 5 60 23 0
LOGAN, S 9 53 21 2
GORE, S 1 5 5 0
DEMARCO, T 2 2 1 1

SSK Rushing

DURANT, D 6 97 35 0
SHEETS, K 17 68 12 0
SANDERS, J 1 5 5 0

BC Receiving

MOORE, N 5 52 19 0
ARCENEAUX, E 4 42 23 0
JACKSON, P 3 29 22 0
TAYLOR, C 2 29 18 0
HARRIS, A 2 21 13 0
GORE, S 2 18 11 0
IANNUZZI, M 1 4 4 0

SSK Receiving

SMITH, T 4 126 53 0
SHEETS, K 2 63 61 0
DRESSLER, W 6 43 14 2
RILEY, E 3 19 14 0
HUGHES, N 1 9 9 0
SIMON, G 1 6 6 0
BAGG, R 2 4 3 0
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Ravi
Legend

The TSN Turning Point had to be B.C.'s inability to take advantage of the big 3rd down stop of the Riders late in the third quarter. Once Saskatchewan dodged that bullet, it was all downhill from there for the Lions even though it seemed as though they were in control of this one for so much of the game.
Big Time
Champion

This one is a gut punch. Not sure if Durant threw the ball in the fourth. Most draw plays up the middle. The lack of SolE was very apparent. The tackling was terrible in the fourth. The lions were just killed on second and long all game.

I don't want to entirely blame this game on the refs, but Proulx ought to be ashamed of himself. If this guy gets another game in the playoffs it will be a travesty. Those two calls at the end of the first half were mind boggling. He is by far the worst ref in the CFL and maybe of any professional league.

Riders had virtually nothing on offense and were extremely lucky this wasn't a blow out early. This should be The last game for Larose. He's just not good enough.

Overall I'm just heartbroken about this. Lions and allay in particular deserved better. Now the Riders get a diminished Stamps team missing three stars. Makes me want to puke.
MikeAK
All Star

I am really pissed off over the outcome. I thought we could have taken that game but for some reason our offense didn't come out after the first half and instead decided to head home early. Our D also didn't come up with 3 or 4 stops that would have made it real hard for SK. We totally gave them the game in the second half. Had that team from the first half returned after the break we would be singing a diff tune right now.

All in all, for me, this season was a major disappointment. It has been years since I was so angry after games like I was this season. I think there are a lot of good pieces in B.C. but there are also a lot of issues that finally need to be looked at. Number one change for me is Chap, it's time for a new direction and a fresh outlook.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

That was an outstanding offensive game plan and execution but the defence couldn't make a play when they needed it. Both teams racked up 420 yards of offence. Turnovers weren't a factor. Durant closed it out with his feet when everyone should have known what he was going to do.

Congratulations to the Riders. They made the plays they needed to win the game. The B.C. defence couldn't stop them.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Well the Riders fans went home happy. There must have been a lot of nervous energy throughout the game because for three quarters, I thought the Lions were doing enough to win. They didn't.

Lulay looked more like the Lulay of a couple years ago. Dashing off for big runs. The run/pass offence looked good, IMO. It just seems this team gets into either grooves/ruts. Our offence was in a groove for much of the day. Our defence got into a rut where it was Durant was able to beat us.

Kudos to Durant. I really didn't think he had it in him. I'm not sure he has what it takes to beat the Stamps. He'll have to play better than he did today to beat them, IMO and he played well today. I just think the Stamps will not make mistakes the Lions made. And the Lions certainly showed some ways to slow the Riders down.

Getzalf returns next week so maybe their offence opens back up. I don't think you can count on the big plays they got today. Well earned win, I think I'm sounding like I'm selling the Riders short. Maybe I am. Did the Riders win this game or did the Lions lose it?
South Pender
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:That was an outstanding offensive game plan and execution but the defence couldn't make a play when they needed it.
Couldn't agree more. The offense--from coordinator to players--has nothing to be ashamed of. Good game plan, and excellent execution most of the time. Travis goes 77% for over 200 yards, and our running game racks up something like 213 yards. Enough to win. The defense just collapsed when they were needed the most. Too bad; big disappointment, but it was, in many ways, a good game. Saskatchewan was just a little better today. Looking forward to the WF.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

A not unexpected end to a disappointing season. I hate to end things like this but I seriously hope that this season is Chaps last. 2nd half was pretty dismal and when we had opportunities to control game, our O came out flat. And when will we dump the 3 man rush? It never works especially when our 4 man pressure is so mediocre.

Some good onfield performances but at the end, it wasn't enough as has been the tale of this team most of the season.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

A two possession lead heading into the 4th quarter and unable to hang on is gut wrenching. Riders not only scored on their least 3 drives but drove over 70 yards on each of them. Defence disappeared with the season on the line.

Major kudos for that performance by Lulay. Amazing really given there should have been plenty of rust and what was on the line today. He showed me a lot and did more than enough to win.

Disappointing season given where the Lions were 2 years ago and having regressed for each of the last 2 seasons. No way can they stay status quo if they want to create some excitement with the very fickle casual fans in this market. Will be really interesting to see what Wally does and which coaches/players are not back in 2014.
BC 1988
Legend

notahomer wrote:Well the Riders fans went home happy. There must have been a lot of nervous energy throughout the game because for three quarters, I thought the Lions were doing enough to win. They didn't.

Lulay looked more like the Lulay of a couple years ago. Dashing off for big runs. The run/pass offence looked good, IMO. It just seems this team gets into either grooves/ruts. Our offence was in a groove for much of the day. Our defence got into a rut where it was Durant was able to beat us.

Kudos to Durant. I really didn't think he had it in him. I'm not sure he has what it takes to beat the Stamps. He'll have to play better than he did today to beat them, IMO and he played well today. I just think the Stamps will not make mistakes the Lions made. And the Lions certainly showed some ways to slow the Riders down.

Getzalf returns next week so maybe their offence opens back up. I don't think you can count on the big plays they got today. Well earned win, I think I'm sounding like I'm selling the Riders short. Maybe I am. Did the Riders win this game or did the Lions lose it?
The Lions D wasn't up to the task. I don't know how different it would have been with Sol-E in the lineup, probably would have stopped at least one of those Durant runs.
In all honesty, I'm happy with the Lions showing in this game, much better than than expected in a hostile environment with a fragile Lulay putting his body on the line.

The questionable PI call on Larose at the end of the first half gave the Riders 3 points they shouldn't have gotten and made them feel better about themselves going into half time.

I'd like to see Calgary win the WF, but I think the Riders have the momentum now.
Upper Bowl
Starter

No doubt the D should have been adjusted to account for the runs up the middle, but the biggest factor in those plays was the absence of Sol, as Big Time mentioned. I just don't think the Lions D can be considered a true force without Elimimian and Bighill in the lineup together.

The D also didn't tackle as well as it usually does. Weather was likely a factor, but you've got to make a stop eventually!

Thought Josh Bell struggled in his return. Don't want to hammer the guy because he had a good season, but I actually wondered to myself if Chism could have done a better job.

The weather also made McCallum look older than he already is. Why wasn't he warming up on the Lions second-to-last drive!? A kicker needs to be loose!

Arceneaux was still badly hobbled, and wasn't even close to running full-out when Lulay went deep to him in the fourth quarter.

The refs may not have cost the Lions the game, but it looked to me like they might have missed the Riders OL holding in a couple instances....on Khreem on the last big gain of the first half, and on Keron on the last big gain of the third quarter.

Lulay flat-out missed on that short pass to Harris on second down with three minutes left in the game. On such a short pass, his injury and the weather shouldn't have been factors. He just made a bad throw, which is an absolute shame considering how well he played today. He otherwise looked great, and hopefully bottles that for next season.

Losing a heartbreaker in Regina, moving the Riders a step closer to hosting the Grey Cup on home field is about the worst way a Lions season can end.

About a month ago, when the Riders clinched second place, relegating the Lions to third, a veteran board member said he'd actually be cheering for the Lions to lose this game, in hopes the loss would prompt big changes, including Chapdelaine's ousting.
Well, I hope you're happy with the result!
lion24
Legend

Tackling as all season was one of the killers at the end of this game, hope the offence can continue the late season running success next season. I would love to see the non tacklers or those who prefer to not bother trying to tackle be let go next season. I don't blame this loss on the refs but it becomes a bit of a joke when the home crowd hollers for penalties and like magic the flags seem to appear :bang: Please replace Larose and Phillips next year on defence is all I ask :cr:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Yes the DEF didn't make the stops late in the game and certainly no coach seemed to step up and prepare the D to stop Durant's running. By that time in the game they knew what Bighill was doing and Durant just ran as he was not going to pass. The Lions just let it go on. Where is the coaching staff in the 4th?

But let's not let the Offence off the hook either as it seemed the Chaps couldn't remember some of his creative signals when Lulay was clearly running out of gas as he has not played a game since mid September.

Radio callers calling for Chap's head and Moj and Burns suggesting Vigneault as a model for stale. BUT. Why not force a RB on Chaps? Why not get more input on play calling when Chaps runs out of ideas. He was brilliant for 3 Q's on the mix of plays. But it ended as the same old Lion offence in the 4th that didn't get them a home playoff date.

I notice that Hamilton used both their QBs successfully or they'd have lost with Burris alone. Lions went right back to the ONE QB system.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I guess the quarterback draw is the play that Rod Black alluded to that is "unstoppable"
Hendu
prospect

Very disappointing finish to a good football game!! Really missed Solly in the middle -- didn't even know he was hurting (here in 'Cowtown' we didn't get a lot on the Leos!) He's in there and DD doesn't run (as?) "wild"!!
I agree that while J-R Larose is undoubtedly a good 'soldier' and a good person who's overcome a lot, he's not a very good safety!! Keenan Parker's job next year?
Travis looked great!! Will Bucky be back?? I still have little confidence in "the midget" (Demarco).
Harris and 'Joy Stick' are a nice mix outa the backfield!! Lotsa pieces in place for another run next year.
Be interesting to see who the Orange Blacks lose to the Red Blacks come the draft, eh?
Cheers -- Lions fan since the 'Empire Days'!!! Yes, I am that uh.. "experienced" -- OK kids, I'm freakin' OLD!!!