Final 2013 CFL attendance

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MikeAK
All Star

Yeah, I'm on Van Isl. I had looked at their budget priced tickets but to be perfectly honest, I would rather watch the game on the big screen at home or at my local watering hole. I have been going to games all my life and have a certain section I just won't go beyond.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

MikeAK wrote:Yeah, I'm on Van Isl. I had looked at their budget priced tickets but to be perfectly honest, I would rather watch the game on the big screen at home or at my local watering hole. I have been going to games all my life and have a certain section I just won't go beyond.
When I lived over there I never even dreamed of coming over for a game unless it started early enough to get back the same night after it was over, and these were even rarer then than they are now. This was back when CBC still showed games and not just from Labour Day on. And because there wasn't (still isn't?) a Victoria affiliate, we had the Vancouver feed which, as on the mainland, blacked out Lions home games on the Island, too.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Ravi
Legend

sj-roc wrote:
Ravi wrote:
sj-roc wrote: Thanks for the clarification. What's the mood with Argo fans over this potential sale to MLSE? I understand CEO TL has alienated some Leaf fans for his talk of, for example, getting rid of banners of past popular players in the Leafs' arena. Is there a feeling he could also rub Argo fans the wrong way?
I would say that the reaction is mixed given MLSE's lack of success in building winning teams. However, there are a fair number of Argo fans who realize that being a "lone wolf" on the Toronto pro sports scene is probably not going to cut it long-term for the Argos so the only real option is to throw in with MLSE. It is hard to imagine that the Argos couldn't fill a 25k or so stadium to capacity every week with MLSE as owner. Also, MLSE would increase revenues from such things as merchandising. It just makes too much sense for this not to happen and the Argos, with the new TV deal kicking in next year and playing in a more suitable stadium, should be a decent money-maker for MLSE.
It does seem status quo won't be sustainable for much longer in Argoland. But I wonder if BMO can be expanded for playoffs/Grey Cups, or would they try to arrange something with Rogers to lease SkyDome in this case.
I am pretty sure that they could arrange to play one game at SkyDome if need be just as the Bills do. I doubt that BMO would be expandable.
BC 1988
Legend

The other issue is the natural grass that was put in at BMO in 2010. Toronto FC won't want to give that up, since it meets FIFA standards. (Natural grass coming to Rogers Centre for the Blue Jays is also a big reason why the Argos are being evicted).