Joey Elliott Cut

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cromartie
Hall of Famer

So. Anyone have the Neg List handy to figure out who Elliott's replacement is?

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/09/04 ... or-new-qb/
David
Team Captain

Wow. Just wow. Don't you think our West rivals are licking their chops right now? Take Travis out of the game and they're facing green-as-grass DeMarco and Hart, neither of whom exactly strike fear in opponents at this point.

Colour me surprised by this move. I thought Elliott looked better than DeMarco in preseason and should have been given more of an opportunity here, at the very least on short yardage plays or the odd 2nd and short fake.

I don't think he'll be unemployed very long with all the QB injuries around the league and the 2 POW awards in his back pocket from last year.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

When Wally wants to make a personnel move, he doesn't mess around with idle talk. I don't know who's on the neg list but I feel sorry for Elliott. He seemed to have skill and experience but he obviously wasn't in the team's plans. The timing probably has more to do with Hart coming off the 9-game injured list than about a new QB being brought in.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Is Chris Hart due to come off the 9 game injured list or would they use up the free pass that allows I think or is it 2 exemptions per season.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:Is Chris Hart due to come off the 9 game injured list or would they use up the free pass that allows I think or is it 2 exemptions per season.
His 9 games are up so he will dress as the third QB this week in Hamilton.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Head shaker ...

JC not sold on Elliott?

Elliott tick JC off?

Faith in DeMarco?

Faith in Hart?

Did something change? How does Hart move ahead when neither got reps in regular season?

They liked Elliott at one time.

Neg list phenom being signed?

Fallout from the mini offensive crisis? Mini compared to the chaos in Edmonton and Winnipeg?

Puzzling ...

They want to keep Hart. Need more than PR money? Joey has to go. I hope they like Hart that much, and this is not something less favourable than that.
xon100
Starter

Hart has a rocket arm, it is a gamble leaving our QB situation down to Lulay and some raw rookies but I think Hart would have taken off the PR and been a 3rd QB elsewhere if we had left him there.
Sometimes nothing is a real cool hand.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Could be a combination of factors.

With 9 games gone a decision had to be made re: Hart to either activate him or 9 game him for the second half. I don't recall the mysterious camp injury that led to him being 9 gamed in the first place. I think they probably felt that for sake of his development it was time to move him up the depth chart to get more practice reps. As Cromartie alluded too it also opens up a spot for a possible neg list QB to be added when the PR expands. It's OK to have 4 in camp, but not 5. Not enough reps to go around.

Elliott was mostly a veteran insurance policy for this season. Obviously (IMO) the Lions would not be retaining him after this season. With the season half gone they may now feel the odds of being forced to use that policy are greatly diminished.

SMS. No doubt as a 4th year veteran Elliott was signed at a higher stipend than was Hart. His contract would be guaranteed if he wasn't released after this week's game and prior to the Montreal game. With some of BC's offseason moves I think they are very tight against the cap. Every little bit helps.
Last edited by Hambone on Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Rammer
Team Captain

Could this be an SMS move? Or did either Hart or Elliott himself force this move? We aren't likely to find out, but right now the Lions QB depth resembles the Als QB for the past decade. If Elliott was truely 3rd on the Lions dept chart then this has to be a money saving decision, as I would think that his contract would have been too high to justify not playing him.
Entertainment value = an all time low
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Wow! First time in over a decade I have no faith in the Lions QB depth after Lulay. Just not sold on Demarco at all and thought Elliott would be better in the No. 2 role.

Next best bet now might be Jarious being activated if anything happens to Travis.
South Pender
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:Wow! First time in over a decade I have no faith in the Lions QB depth after Lulay. Just not sold on Demarco at all and thought Elliott would be better in the No. 2 role.

Next best bet now might be Jarious being activated if anything happens to Travis.
I agree. We're now one injury to Lulay away from complete disaster on offense. Given the concern we've had all season about the offense with Lulay, imagine how it would look with De Marco behind centre. I wonder whether we could pry Buck loose from the Bombers. He sure doesn't seem to have a future there.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

My mind is still open on how effective Thomas DeMarco could be, seemingly in the minority amongst Lionbackers.

I am rooting for him. He has been an underdog all his football career. Underestimated. Written off. Not even given a tryout at times.

If he gets to play, we will see if he fits into that group of backups for Wally's teams that develop into very, very good starters, a long list.

I would suggest that he is about the size of Matt Dunigan, both listed at 5'11", 200, and both probably shorter than that.

Not a huge fan at this point, with little pro evidence at this time, but my mind is still open. McAvoy and the Lions' staff have believed in him enough to bring him in, to keep him, and to keep him ahead of Elliott.
South Pender
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:I would suggest that he is about the size of Matt Dunigan, both listed at 5'11", 200, and both probably shorter than that.
If you look at that picture of the Lions QBs in cromartie's post, I'd say that DeMarco is a good 5 inches shorter than Lulay--so about 5-9. When I've seen him on the sidelines at games next to other players, he has also looked very short. Not that there's anything wrong with that, as Seinfeld would say.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:I would suggest that he is about the size of Matt Dunigan, both listed at 5'11", 200, and both probably shorter than that.
If you look at that picture of the Lions QBs in cromartie's post, I'd say that DeMarco is a good 5 inches shorter than Lulay--so about 5-9. When I've seen him on the sidelines at games next to other players, he has also looked very short. Not that there's anything wrong with that, as Seinfeld would say.
I have seen him at practice a good number of times. He does look shorter than his height as shown on the roster. I listed the height and weight of Matt Dunigan to make the point that his size could be irrelevant to whether or not he can be effective. And I expect both he and Matt are not 5'11".

He might disappoint for a number of reasons, but IMO his size should not disqualify him, even for short yardage.

I don't think we have any disagreement here.

I am supporting him, as a fan. I've seen a number of our Lionbackers here express doubts. Pretty much what he has faced all his career, methinks.
South Pender
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
South Pender wrote:
I have seen him at practice a good number of times. He does look shorter than his height as shown on the roster. I listed the height and weight of Matt Dunigan to make the point that his size could be irrelevant to whether or not he can be effective. And I expect both he and Matt are not 5'11".

He might disappoint for a number of reasons, but IMO his size should not disqualify him, even for short yardage.

I don't think we have any disagreement here.

I am supporting him, as a fan. I've seen a number of our Lionbackers here express doubts. Pretty much what he has faced all his career, methinks.
Right, I'm with you in wishing him the best. And as you say short stature doesn't guarantee failure as a QB, as Russell Wilson has spectacularly demonstrated. One thing about short QBs, though, is that they have to be able to scramble and sometimes make yards with their legs. I haven't seen much speed from DeMarco, although, in fairness, he hasn't been given any real opportunities to demonstrate whether he can run. I'm afraid I'm with those on this forum who sense the taste of fear when DeMarco comes in on 3rd and short!