2012 WDF Attendance

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

What do think will be the attendance range for the 2012 West Division Final?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:41 am

29,999 and under
No votes
30,000 to 34,999
6%
35,000 to 39,999
15%
40,000 to 44,999
47%
45,000 to 49,999
26%
50,000 to sellout
6%

Total votes: 47
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Since many of you have second thoughts for the attendance tomorrow, I've edited the poll for it to continue until Sunday morning and I've allowed re-voting.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
dawg3648
Rookie

It does not take much to figure out there are more than 40K sold at this point. I have no idea why Skulsky did not come out with a figure yesterday. Baffling. Is it because we are 5K behind Montreal perhaps? There are 27K in upper and lower bowls. With only a couple of hundred singles in lower bowl and more than half of upper bowl sold (not hard to calculate by going on Ticketmaster). And tickets selling at an increased rate as game gets closer and as well a walk up of 2K to 4K based on last years walk-up I believe we will have a healthy 44 to 46. Simple math guys...no graphs required! (No disrespect Si_Roc!) Have fun tomorrow! Cheers P.S. How many Lionbackers making the trek back to T.O??
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

dawg3648 wrote:It does not take much to figure out there are more than 40K sold at this point. I have no idea why Skulsky did not come out with a figure yesterday. Baffling. Is it because we are 5K behind Montreal perhaps? There are 27K in upper and lower bowls. With only a couple of hundred singles in lower bowl and more than half of upper bowl sold (not hard to calculate by going on Ticketmaster). And tickets selling at an increased rate as game gets closer and as well a walk up of 2K to 4K based on last years walk-up I believe we will have a healthy 44 to 46. Simple math guys...no graphs required! (No disrespect Si_Roc!) Have fun tomorrow! Cheers P.S. How many Lionbackers making the trek back to T.O??
I had a closer look at the TM map this morning and it does look like more than 40k now. Perhaps even 41 or 42. No dis taken. To be clear I was interested in more than just the final number in that exercise. I was looking to see if there was some point where the sales spiked after a steady gradual ramp but that hasn't happened in the high-rent area I chose to track, in fact it actually showed a hint of plateauing last night with over 35% of seats remaining therein. That's not to say there was no spike in the overall sales, just that if there is, it only happened elsewhere. In hindsight this is perhaps not surprising as high-rent buyers aren't likely to be price-sensitive and would have no qualms about buying at any time, whereas more price-sensitive foks would hesitate and dither before finally resigning their wallet to the hit as the game draws near.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Dennis Skulsky told Tom Mayenknecht on Team1040 that the Lions are expecting a crowd of about 45,000, maybe a bit more or a bit less. He said they would expect to draw an extra 3,000 to 5,000 if Saskatchewan were the opponent.
korey&dante4ever
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:Dennis Skulsky told Tom Mayenknecht on Team1040 that the Lions are expecting a crowd of about 45,000, maybe a bit more or a bit less. He said they would expect to draw an extra 3,000 to 5,000 if Saskatchewan were the opponent.
Yes.
His quote: 'it is what it is'
'40 to 45k is a lot of people'
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

korey&dante4ever wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:Dennis Skulsky told Tom Mayenknecht on Team1040 that the Lions are expecting a crowd of about 45,000, maybe a bit more or a bit less. He said they would expect to draw an extra 3,000 to 5,000 if Saskatchewan were the opponent.
Yes.
It was kind of an underwhelming listen. And he never gave a SOLD number first nor last in that segment. :dizzy:
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Addressing ticket prices and attendance overall, Skulsky said the Lions' attendance growth should be about the same as the league average (around 3%). He said he's "a little disappointed and surprised" that the Lions haven't had stronger growth, considering the calibre of the team and the excellent facilities, but he attributed the disappointing sales to the strength of the economy.

As for next year, he said the entry point of $26 (pre-tax price for season ticketholders in the end zones) is good value but "we're going to look at everything," including how to reconfigure the stadium. I assume he means how to tarp off certain seats.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

sj-roc wrote:
korey&dante4ever wrote:
Yes.
It was kind of an underwhelming listen. And he never gave a SOLD number first nor last in that segment. :dizzy:
I can't remember if it was Skulsky last year, Ackles before him or somebody from another organization but I recall a sentiment that they prefered not to broadcast exact numbers. For some reason I think it was Ackles. Leaving things vague and saying there are still tickets available can retain some urgency for those still contemplating going. Tell them there are still 15K available is to give a message of "no worry lots are available" to which many would wait until game day. Having said that I doubt the casual fan still on the fence would be paying much, if any, attention to such numbers. At least not nearly as much attention as it seems many Lionbackers who already have ticket in hand are paying.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
MikeAK
All Star

I originally thought for sure we would have 50K + for Sunday's game given that there isn't NHL hockey but it's looking likely the number will be somewhere around 45k. Still a good crowd.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:Addressing ticket prices and attendance overall, Skulsky said the Lions' attendance growth should be about the same as the league average (around 3%). He said he's "a little disappointed and surprised" that the Lions haven't had stronger growth, considering the calibre of the team and the excellent facilities, but he attributed the disappointing sales to the strength of the economy.

As for next year, he said the entry point of $26 (pre-tax price for season ticketholders in the end zones) is good value but "we're going to look at everything," including how to reconfigure the stadium. I assume he means how to tarp off certain seats.
I'd think "reconfiguring" would include looking at the various price groupings. Obviously the lower bowl high end tickets between the 20s are not a problem. The $26 STs in the endzone are also a good entry point. It's what to do with the groupings in between keeping in mind they have to still support the value of the higher range ticket holder. Make the corners too cheap and you're devaluing the higher price groups. I did notice on the Season Ticket notice that only the first half dozen rows in Coaches Sideline and Red Zone sections are flagged as being available for STs. I think this would be indication that not much is to change in the lower bowl and those upper bowl sections leaving the rest open for a different approach.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:I can't remember if it was Skulsky last year, Ackles before him or somebody from another organization but I recall a sentiment that they prefered not to broadcast exact numbers. For some reason I think it was Ackles. Leaving things vague and saying there are still tickets available can retain some urgency for those still contemplating going.
I disagree with this strategy, especially for a big game like the WF. I think constant updates gets fans excited to spread the word and motivates fence sitters to 'get theirs now before it's too late.'

They started with the good news story of 36,000 sold on Monday morning which was picked up by all of the media outlets. But then they let it die on the vine before any momentum could be built or sustained. To not trumpet the fact they went over the 40,000 mark (which I'm assuming they have) or even approaching it is, frankly, baffling.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Hambone wrote:I can't remember if it was Skulsky last year, Ackles before him or somebody from another organization but I recall a sentiment that they prefered not to broadcast exact numbers. For some reason I think it was Ackles. Leaving things vague and saying there are still tickets available can retain some urgency for those still contemplating going.
I disagree with this strategy, especially for a big game like the WF. I think constant updates gets fans excited to spread the word and motivates fence sitters to 'get theirs now before it's too late.'

They started with the good news story of 36,000 sold on Monday morning which was picked up by all of the media outlets. But then they let it die on the vine before any momentum could be built or sustained. To not trumpet the fact they went over the 40,000 mark (which I'm assuming they have) or even approaching it is, frankly, baffling.

DH :cool:
Yep. In fact it might even be 41 or 42k as I said a little while ago. And to really underscore the buzzkill, look at the poll they're running on teamradio right now:
Why aren't you going to the West Final?

Cost $$$

Love my HD TV

Love to go, but I have a previous engagement

Not a football fan
They should have included an "I AM going!" option.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Looks like this poll is still active; results now are:
teamradio.ca poll wrote:Why aren't you going to the West Final?

41% Cost $$$

35% Love my HD TV

16% Love to go, but I have a previous engagement

8% Not a football fan
xon100
Starter

sj-roc wrote:Looks like this poll is still active; results now are:
teamradio.ca poll wrote:Why aren't you going to the West Final?

41% Cost $$$

35% Love my HD TV

16% Love to go, but I have a previous engagement

8% Not a football fan
I am one of those with a previous engagement. I will be watching football just the minor league variety. Maybe someone could answer this for me, why would a football league schedule semifinal and final games when the CFL is holding the East and West semi-final. A win on Sunday and I will be spending a large part of Grey Cup Sunday watching the little guys play again.
Sometimes nothing is a real cool hand.