Lions @ Tiger-Cats Game Day Thread Oct. 12

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

If you like scoring, this game should provide it. Hamilton is averaging a league-best 30.1 points a game and gives up a league-worst 31.7 points a game. The Lions give up a league-best 19.4 points a game but when these teams met in Week 2 the Lions had to hold on for a 39-36 victory as Henry Burris threw four TD passes.

Both teams are banged up but the Lions showed last week that they have the depth to keep winning.

Individually, there are some great milestones on the line:
- Andrew Harris needs only 119 yards from scrimmage to break Terry Evanshen's CFL record for a Canadian player of 1,662 yards, set with Calgary in 1967. Harris needs 85 rushing yards to become the 13th Canadian to rush for 1,000 yards in a season.
- Travis Lulay has thrown TD passes in 25 straight games, second only to the 34-game streak of Sam Etcheverry in 1954-56. Lulay has thrown TD passes to 11 receivers in that span.
- Luca Congi has his 23 straight field goals, closing in on Paul McCallum's record of 30, set last year.
Rammer
Team Captain

Henry will pick apart a zone D with his arm, he isn't afraid to rifle the ball into tight coverage let alone soft zone coverage. However the Lions D and Stubler will certainly have been adjusted since the early stages of the season.

This game is kind of a trap game, hope the Lions and the Braley feast are as prepared to play as Korey Banks is styling for the flight out to Hamilton.
Entertainment value = an all time low
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:Henry will pick apart a zone D with his arm, he isn't afraid to rifle the ball into tight coverage let alone soft zone coverage. However the Lions D and Stubler will certainly have been adjusted since the early stages of the season.

This game is kind of a trap game, hope the Lions and the Braley feast are as prepared to play as Korey Banks is styling for the flight out to Hamilton.
Agreed Rammer. This one scares the crap out of me. Maybe it's because what happened there last year when the Lions were rolling or how many times can a team dig deep to win games with a rash of injuries, especially on the d-line. But a loss could have the surging Riders breathing down the Lions' neck with the Nov. 3 finale still looming.

Would love to know when the last time a QB led the league in passing yards, TDs and efficiency playing for a non-playoff team?

Looks to be Lions first cold game of the season too. Hopefully just one more remains.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Does putting a fear into words make it happen (exercise) or does it exorcize it?

Well, since 2003, the TiCats have played well against us.

Danny Mac lit up Dante Marsh.

Otis Floyd played with passion to beat us.

Also rans beat us.

So the Cats usually bring it against us. And in pro sports, motivation is key. All a team with character can do is weather the storm, chip away, and seal the deal. The underdogs can crack. But if they get confident, look out. Battle is on.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Lions by 16 tonight.
274always
All Star

Fur will fly.
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hamilton has always played us tough in Ivor Wynn. I expect the west coast lions to persevere in this battle of the felines
MexicoLionFan
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:
Rammer wrote:Henry will pick apart a zone D with his arm, he isn't afraid to rifle the ball into tight coverage let alone soft zone coverage. However the Lions D and Stubler will certainly have been adjusted since the early stages of the season.

Agreed Rammer. This one scares the crap out of me. Maybe it's because what happened there last year when the Lions were rolling or how many times can a team dig deep to win games with a rash of injuries, especially on the d-line. But a loss could have the surging Riders breathing down the Lions' neck with the Nov. 3 finale still looming.

Would love to know when the last time a QB led the league in passing yards, TDs and efficiency playing for a non-playoff team?

Looks to be Lions first cold game of the season too. Hopefully just one more remains.
I agree guys...this is yet another crucial game for the Lions so that they do not give the chasers any hope...and I do see how this could be a trap game for a veteran team...but that's the great thing about tonights lineup, we are younger and hungry...there are a lot of guys that have been on the practise roster earning next to nothing, and now they are getting game cheques and a chance to shine...I see us a an exuberant team tonight led by Lulay, Bighill and all the rookies fighting for permanent roster spots...

Think about it...for guys like Moore, Taylor and Jackson, they are not only fighting for playing time this year, but NEXT year as well...there are log jams at certain positions on this football team and the only way to break through is with outstanding play...the same goes for Eliminan...with a couple of lacklustre efforts thus far, and Mitchell and Taylor looking to come back next week, and Robert Jordan impressing as much as he did last week, he has to step up and have a HUGE game, or he could be headed for the practise roster as well...

The bottom line to me, is if we can PROTECT Lulay with that makeshift OLine, then we will win...we are simply too good and too well coached...that is why my key player for tonight, believe it or not, is Dean Valli...even an average game would be a huge improvement!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Don't know if I'm in the minority here but I like the early start too! Finished work early so the kickoff works just fine,thank-you.

I hope to see another strong game by our Defence to the point where Mr. Hyde Burris makes an appearance. Hope Harris and Lulay keep rolling along.

Lions by 10, is my bet....
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I see LU is picking Hamilton to win, along with the Lions' West rivals Calgary and Saskatchewan. That would make the playoff race much more interesting.
Week 16 in the CFL

LU's live game-day chat is under way in the 2 p.m. hour at:
http://live.theprovince.com/Event/BC_Li ... _Ullrich_6
JohnHenry
Champion

[quote="B.C.FAN"]I see LU is picking Hamilton to win, along with the Lions' West rivals Calgary and Saskatchewan. That would make the playoff race much more interesting.
Week 16 in the CFL

LU the turncoat...last week he said the Stamps were salivating for revenge and would beat the Lions...but in the end it was the Stamps which got licked.

Many experts are predicting the normal Hamilton "bounce-back" game after a humiliating defeat last week. The only Ticat bounce-back will be off the turf after a hard hit. The Lions should be in "take no prisoners" mode...with our offence and defence steam-rolling the hapless tabbies.

Lions 47 Ticats 18.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,

From the Ottawa Citizen
That, combined with the Lions -- who play their home games at domed B.C. Place -- being forced to play outdoors on a cool, potentially blustery fall evening would be two factors working in Hamilton's favour.
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/foo ... story.html

It's time to drag that old chestnut out again, is it? Does anyone have any statistics on Lions won/loss record in October/November outdoor games?
Last edited by Coast Mountain Lion on Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote: Think about it...for guys like Moore, Taylor and Jackson, they are not only fighting for playing time this year, but NEXT year as well...there are log jams at certain positions on this football team and the only way to break through is with outstanding play...the same goes for Eliminan...with a couple of lacklustre efforts thus far, and Mitchell and Taylor looking to come back next week, and Brandon Jordan impressing as much as he did last week, he has to step up and have a HUGE game, or he could be headed for the practise roster as well...
Fixed that for you. What we don't need is Robert Jordan back.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:It's time to drag that old chestnut out again, is it? Does anyone have any statistics on Lions won/loss record in October/November outdoor games?
Not outdoor games specifically, but since 2006 the Lions are 29-31 overall (.483 winning percentage) in July and August and 23-9 overall (.719) in October and November. I don't think weather is a factor. The Lions play better when the games matter most.