Sunday - Roof

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

dtrain
Starter

I would create a new post, but still can't figure out how...
SUNDAY - ROOF:
I noticed the Lions just announced on their website that the roof would "officially" be open on Sunday. I just heard a weather forecast that calls for the 'possibility' of showers' on Sunday - that's all GM Brillo needs to hear to close it.
Why they make these "official" announcements on the roof more than 2 days in advance of the game, when we know they will change it if Wally gets his way on game day - just boggles the mind.
Did they not learn their lesson LAST GAME when they did this exact same thing?
And they wonder why attendance is down...
Rammer
Team Captain

dtrain wrote:I would create a new post, but still can't figure out how...
SUNDAY - ROOF:
I noticed the Lions just announced on their website that the roof would "officially" be open on Sunday. I just heard a weather forecast that calls for the 'possibility' of showers' on Sunday - that's all GM Brillo needs to hear to close it.
Why they make these "official" announcements on the roof more than 2 days in advance of the game, when we know they will change it if Wally gets his way on game day - just boggles the mind.
There is a "New Topic" icon at the top of the CFL page that you click on in order to start a new thread. I am creating this as a new thread.

As far as your post, not sure that the suggested 'thunder storm' is wise to play around with, unless it passes through by morning as the reports are suggesting.
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Wally is still thinking like a coach and trying to do what ever it takes to win (louder noise with the roof closed). Instead, he needs to think like a GM and open the roof if it gets more people in the stadium.
Rammer
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:Wally is still thinking like a coach and trying to do what ever it takes to win (louder noise with the roof closed). Instead, he needs to think like a GM and open the roof if it gets more people in the stadium.
We may never know if the roof being opened will get more fans in the seats though at this rate.
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

SUNDAY - ROOF:
I'm looking right now, forecast for Sunday is "isolated showers" with pop 40% and <1mm accumulated precipitation. Even if that light amount of rain materialises, I don't think it's really worth closing the roof for. If they do close it, there had better be some serious weather going on like that thunder and lightning we had early last week, especially after this roof opening announcement.

I agree, it looks seriously bush when they say one thing on the roof and do another. I said on here a few weeks ago that the Lions are going to create another reason for people not to attend games if they keep bungling their roof status decisions. When this unfolded at the last home game, I asked a few people sitting around me, out of curiosity, if they knew the roof was going to be closed (unnecessarily, as it turned out) and they were mostly taken by surprise.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
dtrain
Starter

Rammer wrote:
SUNDAY - ROOF:
There is a "New Topic" icon at the top of the CFL page that you click on in order to start a new thread. I am creating this as a new thread.

As far as your post, not sure that the suggested 'thunder storm' is wise to play around with, unless it passes through by morning as the reports are suggesting.
Thanks Rammer for posting info, I'll know now for next time.

A couple thoughts on roof:
Lions: Why make any early roof announcement at all when we know it will depend on GAME DAY forecast?
You really have nothing to gain, and simply look bush (as stated here) if you change your decision.
If the weather is good in the summer the roof will OBVIOUSLY be open!
My concern (also stated here) is that Wally & Co are going to alienate current and potential new fans from coming to games with their (what I consider) ultra-conservative attitude towards roof closures.

If this continues, I'm going to start hoping that the Whitecaps restart their plans for a smaller waterfront OUTDOOR stadium that could include another tenant.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Even if it rains it's the field (and players) that's going to get wet not the fans. I agree the Lions look bush in the way they deal with the roof
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Both this roof and the prior roof on BC Place Stadium have been excellent sources of laughter. IIRC, the original roofed stadium was built to save us poor fans from the rain that rarely if ever seemed to occur during Lions games throughout. That roof did a great job of being TOO HOT for many fans to enjoy games in. So, a new roof gets built and now we get the 'will he or won't he'. If the roof is closed this Sunday, I'm going to ask an investigative reporter to see if there has been some kind of financial payoff from the beer/cold drinks retailers. Those people are going to make a lot of money Sunday regardless of the status of the roof but they'll do even better, IMO, with the roof closed.....

This will be a purrfect afternoon to open the roof. Busy crowd, warm weather, late afternoon game. :pray: let there be an open roof.......
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Even if it rains it's the field (and players) that's going to get wet not the fans. I agree the Lions look bush in the way they deal with the roof
No, the roof announcement is classified as F*** Up.

Bush league is when you entice an entire fan base ("get your season tickets now") with a new stadium that's set to open for the 2012 season, then it gets postponed for the first 4 games of the season, possibly 'til Labour Day. Then it's scrapped altogether until the start of the 2013 season. THAT'S bush.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Perhaps FUBAR is a better description
xon100
Starter

jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,

I haven't been to the new stadium yet, but have tickets for Sunday. How does it compare temperature-wise against the old dome? I bear a striking resemblance to a 45-gallon drum balanced on the rear-end of a draught-horse and well, staying cool is important to me, be it philosophically, emotionally, or physically. Does the air-con actually work, or does it just tease us like in the pre-roof days? If the roof is open, does it make a big difference?

Cheers,

James
Yes it is cooler, you can actually get a breeze inside the stadium now.
Sometimes nothing is a real cool hand.
zeppo
Starter

Does the air-con actually work, or does it just tease us like in the pre-roof days? If the roof is open, does it make a big difference?
There's not actually any air conditioning, but having the roof open makes a huge difference, both in temperature and the amount of light in
the building. You won't recognize the inside of the stadium on Sunday.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

And having pigeons flying around the stadium gives it a certain ambience
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I haven't been to the new stadium yet, but have tickets for Sunday. How does it compare temperature-wise against the old dome? I bear a striking resemblance to a 45-gallon drum balanced on the rear-end of a draught-horse and well, staying cool is important to me, be it philosophically, emotionally, or physically. Does the air-con actually work, or does it just tease us like in the pre-roof days? If the roof is open, does it make a big difference?

Cheers,

James
James,

I've been to every game of the BCPII era so far, and all but two games of the last 14 seasons of the BCPI era. I've already commented on here a few times: even with the roof closed, there's no comparing BCPII to BCPI. If you're worried about humidity in the building, forget it; you'll almost never say you were in the same building.

Just curious, when was the last time you were @BCP anyway? The new roof is only one of the changes you'll notice if you haven't been around since, say, 2007 or 2008. There's a new four-sided hi-def video board hung over midfield visible from all seating areas (beats the old wall-mounted screen that was invisible to about 1/4 of the stadium!), a new video ribbon along the upper deck, new larger, multi-coloured seats with cupholders (no more boring sea of blue, entirely unsold sections), new turf on the field, washrooms have been renovated, the concourse has been spruced up with hi-def video screens, there's fresh paint on a lot of formerly dull grey concrete (that part was done for 2009 just before they renovated the roof), and the air-tight revolving doors that were necessary to support the old roof have been replaced with regular glass doors so it's now much easier getting in and out of the building. Some ears may differ in opinion, but the upgraded sound system seems to be better than the old days, too. And even when the roof is closed, there are more (and not as darkly coloured as before) windows to let more natural light into the place.

My understanding is all of these improvements are included in the oft-quoted $563M price tag (or whatever) that I have noticed in some circles misattributed exclusively to just the roof replacement.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.