Mitchell 2-gamed suspended for dirty play

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Mitchell's hit was not dirty, he got the penalty because it was after the whistle. He will soon learn that the refs now have their eyes on him.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:Mitchell's hit was not dirty, he got the penalty because it was after the whistle. He will soon learn that the refs now have their eyes on him.
After the whistle is the definition of a dirty play.
ziggy
Legend

Blue In BC wrote:
DanoT wrote:Mitchell's hit was not dirty, he got the penalty because it was after the whistle. He will soon learn that the refs now have their eyes on him.
If that is the sole criteria there are lots of dirty plays every game by every team. Can't remember the last time I watched a game where there wasn't pushing and shoving after a play was whistled dead?
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

However dirty or not dirty either of these plays are, it is my solemn hope that Benevides has a long sincere chat with both of them because flagged or not flagged, continued play like that is going to hurt this team sometime when they can least afford it. Play clean, full stop. We shouldn't really give a #@$#$ what the other team does, that is their coaches and maybe the leagues problem. The Reddick incident could easily have been called unnecessary roughness despite it not being done so. Do we really need to give an opponent 15 yards at any time in the game? Discipline boys discipline!
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
ziggy
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:However dirty or not dirty either of these plays are, it is my solemn hope that Benevides has a long sincere chat with both of them because flagged or not flagged, continued play like that is going to hurt this team sometime when they can least afford it. Play clean, full stop. We shouldn't really give a #@$#$ what the other team does, that is their coaches and maybe the leagues problem. The Reddick incident could easily have been called unnecessary roughness despite it not being done so. Do we really need to give an opponent 15 yards at any time in the game? Discipline boys discipline!
Absolutely agree, don't give anyone any ammo to mount a campaign against your team. See it all the time in hockey where opposing coaches and fans plant the seed in the refs minds. Next thing you know, you are being watched closer and held to a higher standard. Play it squeaky clean!
Last edited by ziggy on Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

ziggy wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:
If that is the sole criteria there are lots of dirty plays every game by every team. Can't remember the last time I watched a game where there wasn't pushing and shoving after a play was whistled dead?
No it's not the sole criteria, but it's close to the top of the list. You do stuff after the whistle and you're likely to draw a penalty.

There are penalties for unintentional plays such as some contact with QB's helmet or facemask ( the incidental kind ) that are things that happen at game speed.

Then there are things that happen which fall more into the what were you thinking kind. Hits out of bounds, after the whistle, grabbing facemask and holding on etc.

Those types of situations are often a lack of disipline, focus or selfishness/stupidity.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

xon100 wrote:Mitchell and the CFLPA are appealing the suspension and the hearing will not be held until Aug 6th, so he will be at the next 2 games. Personally I hope it is reduced.

What I can not understand is why the appeal will take so long to be heard.
No decision yet?

You think they'll get this done before Mitchell actually retires from football!!!

This is insane that the CFL takes this long to get an arbitrator and hearing.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Zarquon
Champion

Toppy Vann wrote:
xon100 wrote:Mitchell and the CFLPA are appealing the suspension and the hearing will not be held until Aug 6th, so he will be at the next 2 games. Personally I hope it is reduced.

No decision yet?

You think they'll get this done before Mitchell actually retires from football!!!

I believe the hearing is tomorrow. No definitive word on who the arbitrator is but one report had it being the same guy as the Jimenez appeal and another report had it being someone new.
Meus occupatio est ut calcitro vestri clunis.
xon100
Starter

Zarquon wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:

No decision yet?

I believe the hearing is tomorrow. No definitive word on who the arbitrator is but one report had it being the same guy as the Jimenez appeal and another report had it being someone new.
Yes according to TSN the hearing was scheduled for the week of Aug 6. I must have missed putting that in there.
Sometimes nothing is a real cool hand.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Reddick is appealing his fine that he got for tackling Kevin Glenn. Good idea imo since at the time of the tackle Glenn was still carrying out a fake so it was a legal football play. The rules protect a QB after he has thrown a pass, but not after he has handed off the ball, but faking that he still has the ball.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:Reddick is appealing his fine that he got for tackling Kevin Glenn. Good idea imo since at the time of the tackle Glenn was still carrying out a fake so it was a legal football play. The rules protect a QB after he has thrown a pass, but not after he has handed off the ball, but faking that he still has the ball.
So you are on on record as saying neither Mitchell's or Reddick's play was dirty. WOW.

Regardless of the outcome of the appeals, the league says both were not within the rules.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:
DanoT wrote:Reddick is appealing his fine that he got for tackling Kevin Glenn. Good idea imo since at the time of the tackle Glenn was still carrying out a fake so it was a legal football play. The rules protect a QB after he has thrown a pass, but not after he has handed off the ball, but faking that he still has the ball.
So you are on on record as saying neither Mitchell's or Reddick's play was dirty. WOW.

Regardless of the outcome of the appeals, the league says both were not within the rules.
I don't recall ever saying that Mitchell's play wasn't dirty, but I do think a one game suspension is more appropriate than two games.

As far a Reddick goes, I don't have a rule book so I'm just guessing that the rules allow a player to tackle another player who is trying to make you think he has the ball. Even without a rule book I'm pretty sure a pass receiver can be tackled even if the ball goes threw his hands and the tackler knows the receiver didn't make the catch.

Since the league can make rulings that ignore the rule book, it is good that there is an appeal process.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:

I don't recall ever saying that Mitchell's play wasn't dirty, but I do think a one game suspension is more appropriate than two games.

As far a Reddick goes, I don't have a rule book so I'm just guessing that the rules allow a player to tackle another player who is trying to make you think he has the ball. Even without a rule book I'm pretty sure a pass receiver can be tackled even if the ball goes threw his hands and the tackler knows the receiver didn't make the catch.

Since the league can make rulings that ignore the rule book, it is good that there is an appeal process.
Your post of 07/31 says that Mitchell's hit was not dirty.

A pass receiver can be tackled even if the ball goes through his hands. If it's after the whistle than can be penalized s rough play.

At what point was Glenn a pass receiver when he was hit by Reddick?

To suggest that the league can make rulings that ignore the rule book is misinformed. Would you like to point one out?
DanoT
Hall of Famer

The Mitchell hit that I referred to was the one where he got a penalty in the Calgary game not the Esks game. Not all late hits are dirty imo as it is sometimes a timing issue.

I didn't say Glenn was a pass receiver, but I was trying to make the point that several plays and situations allow a player without the ball to be tackled.

I believe that the CFLs fine on Reddick is a misinterpretation of the way the game is played/coached. If Glenn is carrying out a fake then he should expect to be hit. If he wanted to avoid taking on a tackler, then he should have stepped out of the way. What i recall about the play was that at the time of the hit Glenn was looking down field with his elbows bent and his hands near his chest, where they would be if he had the football in his hands. In other words, he was still carrying out the fake.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

If a hit is late, chances are it draws a penalty. I tend to agree more about what the league decides is or isn't within the rules than we fans. Having said that, my immediate reaction as a fan watching the game was it was a dirty hit. And I was cheering for the Lions to win.

Glenn didn't remotely look like he had the ball, or was going to block. He was a pylon on the field doing nothing. Reddick didn't get a fine for nothing.

Again, I'm going to be curious how Lions fans comment on anything similar that happens to Lulay. I hope it doesn't happen but there have been a lot of " late " hits around the league this season.

While they are drawing fines, I'd rather players didn't cross that line. Montreal in particular seems to be the most often guilty.

The horsecollar tackle on Matthews on the 2 point convert was one of the more severe of that type. It's not like the convert could have been prevented or further progress possible. So why he made that tackle in that situation seemed to be a dirty play.

Ditto on the headshot to Brink by Davis. I would think both will get fines and IIRC, Emry has already been fined twice this season for late and / or dirty shots. He needs a camera on him all te time before he seriously injures somebody.