Ticket Prices / Lions' Marketing

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:If the Lions want to get bigger crowds, then they really need to get real about their ticket prices. And by real, I mean they need to SERIOUSLY reduce the cost.

I'm a season ticket holder and for the game against Sask, my son and father-in-law wanted to come. We had a 2 for 1 coupon from my son's school so we decided to buy two extras at the door.

The cheapest seats were $35 and that's not including the $8 service charge. This was for end zone seats in the upper bowl. Even though we had a 2 for 1 coupon, they still charged an $8 service charge for BOTH tickets meaning total cost was $51. That quite frankly, is OUTRAGEOUS. I expected that with a 2 for 1 coupon the total cost would have been around $25 to $30.

We have 2 for 1 coupons for later games in the year but there is simply no way that we are going to use them because the cost is too high.

IMO, with a stadium as big as BC Place, there should be a significant number of seats available for $20 each. Particularly in the endzone in the upper bowl. You will do more to attract a bigger audience by having sensible pricing than what they have in their current structure. Better to have an extra 5000 people paying $20 each than having no one paying at all.
I can't remember the last time you could still get a $20 Lions ticket and I seriously doubt you'll ever see one again, unless maybe that was the per-game amount for a student-priced season ticket, and they haven't had those in a LONG time. TBH, I don't think $51 for a pair of endzone tickets is all that unreasonable, although the service fee for the free ticket seems a bit extortionate.

Even in Edmonton, with a larger stadium in a smaller market, the starting season ticket price (10 games, 1 pre + 9 reg) is $241.45 including all taxes and fees, which works out to nearly $25 per game. The single game price must surely be no cheaper and likely higher.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
DanoT wrote:I think Lions would benefit from discounting (1/2 price) the upper 3/4 or 1/2 of the upper bowl without upsetting season ticket holders. Do it in the off season and then people who want to give up season tickets to save $ by going to cheaper seats can do so. Also people who want to up grade their season tickets to better seats can do so by taking the ones just vacated by the $ savers.
Even if there are not quite enough new fans in the building to completely offset old fans moving to the cheap seats, it will mean more people in the building and a greater home field advantage and likely increased souvenir sales, and more exposure for in-stadium advertisers.
The Lions ticket pricing needs to be structured so that the lower bowl fills first, then the lower part of the upper bowl. That's essential to convey the best fan experience in the stadium and on television. Encouraging people to sit in discounted seats in the upper bowl is counterproductive. It will only result in more empty seats in the lower bowl where everyone will see them.

The corners of the lower bowl are overpriced. They're always the last to sell. The 7-Eleven section already provides discounted tickets in the upper bowl. Discount those seats further if you want to attract more casual fans but don't provide discounts that lure people to other parts of the upper bowl before the lower bowl is full.
That's where they have to review their pricing structure completely. It's not as simple as knocking 50% off the upper 3/4 or 1/2 of the upper bowl. They have to consider what the impact of such a reduction would have on the value of the lower portion of that bowl and the subsequent perception that puts on those holding those seats. Put it this way if you do that is it reasonable to say that the lower half of the upper bowl is worth double the price of the upper half? In the eyes of many probably not.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Last edited by sj-roc on Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

sj-roc wrote:Even in Edmonton, with a larger stadium in a smaller market, the starting season ticket price (10 games, 1 pre + 9 reg) is $241.45 including all taxes and fees, which works out to nearly $25 per game. The single game price must surely be no cheaper and likely higher.
Edmonton has a deal with Sobey's for the far end section on both sides of the upper deck and the last section on one side in the lower level. Effectively similar to 7-11 seats. You have to go to Sobeys to buy those tickets. They are general admission type seating and no alcohol permitted. Cost is $22.00. Those sections usually are at least 90% empty. I think most folks get the cheap Sobey's ducat just to get in the building then go sit somewhere else where they can have a beer. When I went to Commonwealth last year I did that. Bought a Sobeys ticket then went up and sat with Eskinator's crew.

They also have the last section in the extreme corner of the endzone for "Knothole Gang" seating ($27 for adults, $12 for kids 12 & under). I'd assume that also would be a no alcohol permitted section. As for regular single game seating $35 dollars is their cheapest single game seat and that increases to $38 when the Stamps or Riders are in town. That's when purchasing in advance. For walk-up sales those prices increase to $41 and $43 respectively. Those are all upper level seats. In the lower level the cheapest single game seat is $46 (advance) or $52 (walk-up) for non-premium games and $49 (advance) or $55 (walk-up) for Riders or Stamps. Taxes and fees are extra.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Big Time
Champion

You sure someone didn't just hit the "Quote" button and then change the content? For example, I can take your post and quote/change it as follows:

(my changes in bold)

sj-roc wrote: Sorry for the diversion here, but...

I like traffic lights especially when they are green. Riders suck by the way.

Um... what happened on the above post from page 10 of this thread? I'm sure SG will agree with me that he did not write the part attributed to him (it was in fact what *I* wrote — in part, some more of it was axed), and I did not write any part that's attributed to me. The subject matter is fairly anodyne so not that big a deal, but just the same, I'm a little concerned to see comments I didn't make incorrectly attributed to me.

It looks like what happened was, someone intended to reply to my post, but (and not to impugn anyone here) they somehow ended up with access to my account and in effect edited my post in the process instead of posting their intended reply from their own account.

Again, sorry to belabour this, I'm just really puzzled by what I'm seeing here.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Seems inflated pricing has also infected the PNE at this Sun article notes.

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/fp ... story.html
PNE attendance down from last year; is it too expensive?

The 102nd edition of the Pacific National Exhibition saw a five-per-cent drop in attendance

By Mike Hager, Vancouver Sun September 4, 2012

VANCOUVER -- The 102nd edition of the Pacific National Exhibition saw a five-per-cent drop in attendance compared to last year, which fair management attribute to a strong Canadian dollar scaring away American tourists.

The 2012 fair announced today that it had 763,689 visitors this year, down from 803,598 last year.

"As the 2012 event approached we anticipated that we, like a number of other Canadian attractions, might see some drop off in tourists from the U.S.," said PNE spokeswoman Laura Balance in a media release. Typically an at-par Canadian dollar means about 25 per cent less fairgoers from south of the border she said in the release.

She said a strong Canadian dollar could also be encouraging Canadians to spend vacation time doing cross-border shopping. Up to a quarter of PNE business comes from tourism, which is dependent on unpredictable weather and economic conditions, she said.

"Fortunately we experienced great weather to help offset the drop in U.S. travelers," she said in the release.

However, with adult admission at $20, and $42.75 more for a ride pass, or $29.75 for those under four feet tall, some are saying the fair has become too expensive.

Families are finding it too expensive, said Rus Howes, who was running the midway game Blockbuster.

He said even though games offer three chances for five bucks, it seems like too much once families pay for admission, rides and the necessary cotton candy and kettle corn.

Howes has done the rounds at local fairs for 20 years and been at the PNE for 14 of them. Other years, he heads to Toronto for the Canadian National Exhibition, which runs over the same weekends. "I called my buddies [in Ontario], they're doing excellent up there," he said.

But Dennis Smith, who has worked the fair circuit for the last 40 years, including five years at the PNE, chalked up this year's decrease in sales to high prices and an unstable economy, adding it's an up-and-down business.

Did you go to the PNE this summer? Has it become too expensive? Add your thoughts below.

With files from Zoe McKnight.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Lions attendance and the afternoon start times were among the discussions on the TEAM earlier today. The station also ran a poll on whether evening or afternoon start times were better. For what it's worth, evenings won out with roughly 66 percent of the vote before the poll was shutdown.

The Lions are definitely rolling the dice a little bit with three consecutive afternoon start times. Based on Ticketmaster's sold seating charting there are still lots of tickets available in the lower bowl (the vast majority in those overpriced corner end zone sections). Looks like they are going to be hard press to break 30,000 which given the records of both teams and the entertainment value of last week's game, a disappointment. Not sure 1 p.m. on Saturdays is a great idea. This is the opening weekend of the minor soccer season and any kids with games between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. would rule out those families (my son fortunately has a bye week) and the high school football season also opens with about a dozen or so afternoon games happening in the Lower Mainland.

One caller who was a season ticket holder ripped the Lions for increased ticket prices, pointing out the expensive upper bowl seats and saying it's keeping fans away. He must be from this forum. :yes:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

A 1 p.m. kickoff on a Saturday is a ridiculous time to start a game, especially with an opponent from the East that hasn't been able to win a night game at B.C. Place in the past 10 tries. Vancouver has never been a Saturday aftternoon sports town, nor is it an afternoon sports town at all. Saturday nights have always drawn the biggest crowds. The Lions have sold out the loyal fan base to cater to TV demands for Friday night games and early games in Eastern TV markets, then they have the nerve to announce an SD blackout in the local market, further cutting off access to the team for casual fans. As a season ticket holder and loyal fan for 50 years, I'm insulted by this year's schedule. I haven't had one game that I could commute to from the Fraser Valley without undue stress. I've been trying to give away two of my season tickets for Saturday's game but haven't yet found any takers. The start time is too inconvenient.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not a big fan of afternoon games. Good for Vancouver Island fans who can come over and watch a game and returning the same day.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:A 1 p.m. kickoff on a Saturday is a ridiculous time to start a game, especially with an opponent from the East that hasn't been able to win a night game at B.C. Place in the past 10 tries. Vancouver has never been a Saturday aftternoon sports town, nor is it an afternoon sports town at all. Saturday nights have always drawn the biggest crowds. The Lions have sold out the loyal fan base to cater to TV demands for Friday night games and early games in Eastern TV markets, then they have the nerve to announce an SD blackout in the local market, further cutting off access to the team for casual fans. As a season ticket holder and loyal fan for 50 years, I'm insulted by this year's schedule. I haven't had one game that I could commute to from the Fraser Valley without undue stress. I've been trying to give away two of my season tickets for Saturday's game but haven't yet found any takers. The start time is too inconvenient.
The danger signal to me (not now in Van most of the time but former long term season ticket holder) is what this post says - tied but failed to "give away" season tickets and no takers. That was me in the bad part of the '90s. I used to offer my extra ticket to people with the proviso that I already had paid parking, I'd drive them and pick them at no cost to the other person nor expectation they buy drinks or dinner - so I would most of the time go alone until I finally found a downtown living pal who would come with me.

If I was home now the afternoon games would be a challenge for me as there are family things to consider.

Make freaking Montreal play at 7 pm haha.

I just get a sense that these days many businesses (other than small ones) just take for granted that die hard fans will support them and they price accordingly as they fear too cheap won't draw fans. It disappoints me that the game (CFL) is not growing beyond brilliant TSN coverage. You look at LA and the NFL and it amazes me that folks I know in that city (not many) claim that they dont care for a team there as the ones I know love Sunday with no black outs and they never have to fear missing a game. With 8 teams in the CFL that is not something they can live with.

While TSN has done a great job with the CFL it also does help keep many fans home.

I'd like to see cheaper tickets and maybe I'm too old but the PNE fee seems a bit high to me.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:A 1 p.m. kickoff on a Saturday is a ridiculous time to start a game,.... The start time is too inconvenient.
This is an example of the cultural differences/mindset between us in Canada and our American friends. At the same (or around the same...noon, 12:30, 1 pm) time our game is kicking off (and adjusting for time zones) dozens and dozens of college football games will kick off in the US in front of packed or near packed stadia across the land.
ziggy
Legend

Lions4ever wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:A 1 p.m. kickoff on a Saturday is a ridiculous time to start a game,.... The start time is too inconvenient.
This is an example of the cultural differences/mindset between us in Canada and our American friends. At the same (or around the same...noon, 12:30, 1 pm) time our game is kicking off (and adjusting for time zones) dozens and dozens of college football games will kick off in the US in front of packed or near packed stadia across the land.
While all the fans aren't students, I'd assume a lot of them are and to be fair this is the only "must do" for the weekend (unless of course one studies). My point though is it is a different demographic, kids in school and living on campus vs working families with kids etc,single people with jobs who may work weekends and week day workers who use the weekend to catch up on all the stuff not done all week due to work. You are right though it is a different culture (don't we all sometimes miss it :beer: .
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

ziggy wrote:While all the fans aren't students, I'd assume a lot of them are and to be fair this is the only "must do" for the weekend (unless of course one studies). My point though is it is a different demographic, kids in school and living on campus vs working families with kids etc,single people with jobs who may work weekends and week day workers who use the weekend to catch up on all the stuff not done all week due to work. You are right though it is a different culture (don't we all sometimes miss it :beer: .
You're right. I thought it was just Vancouverites who weren't accustomed to afternoon team sports but perhaps it's cultural. Americans have grown up on the tradition of afternoon baseball, NFL and college football games. Some American cities even host a lot of afternoon NHL games. The biggest sporting traditions in Canada are Hockey Night in Canada and Friday Night Football. We do something else during the day and then attend sports events or other types of entertainment in the evening.
xon100
Starter

Personally I liked the 4PM start. 1PM is hard to make. It is a nice time for the kids to go except that saturdays is football practice. If you want to play in sunday's game you need to go to saturday's practice. My son wanted to go to the game but he is going to practice instead. Since I will be the one taking him to practice it will be hard for me to go the game. We may still go, but would probably miss at least some of the first quarter or more depending on traffic.
Sometimes nothing is a real cool hand.