Lions 24 - Eskimos 16 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

With the makeshift Oline we have presently, I can't really say that I am surprised by the lacklustre running game. Having said that however, I do worry about ol' Chappy falling into is old pass happy routines. You have to have balance between the run and passing game.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Can anyone confirm WC Joe and LU are two different people? :wink: haha LU suggests Parker could indeed be on the bubble. I didn't equate the rave TC reviews about Bell in the Riders game but definitely could see it last night. It's nice to have so many veterans in the secondary but the idea of working in a young player around them only makes sense, never mind from a better balance salary cap perspective either.

Really encouraging to see players like Johnson and Gore poised to take their game to the next level. Now bring on the regular season and hopefully the deserved hype for Geroy's pursuit of the record as well.
by Lowell Ullrich

EDMONTON — Now comes the hard part for Mike Benevides.

The end of training camp was the literal definition of child’s play for the rookie Lions coach, who had staffers hand out Freezies to his players at the final walkthrough a day before hop-skipping past the Edmonton Eskimos 24-16 in CFL exhibition play Thursday.

What happens in the next 36 hours could end up being something entirely the opposite, perhaps the most difficult portion of Benevides’ coaching baptism, worse than any possible losing streak or some public-relations gaffe.

Benevides and his coaching staff will pick a roster, but not before they hear from general manager Wally Buono.

Benevides indicated this week he would like to take a day to ponder his selections, which must be made by Saturday. But Buono, who has been at every practice in Kamloops, indicated the choices could be made early this morning, which may have rendered what took place on a delicious summer night before 30,891 at Commonwealth Stadium pretty much meaningless.

The man at the top, who presided over a personnel meeting at the start of the week, is about to have his say. So does it get tougher or easier to make decisions for the rookie coach?

“Definitely tougher,” Benevides said.

Here’s what the Lions may, or may not, debate:

DEFENSIVE LINE

The main subplot was an exercise in which Khreem Smith and Ra’Jon Henley lined up at opposite ends looking for the same job. Both had effective pressure and the occasional pursuit issue.

“If anything early on, Khreem was on his game,” Benevides said.

Rodney Paulk and Brandon Perguese were next up but with nobody dominating, it put some teeth into talk that Buono may try and work a trade on the weekend to obtain some value for one of the club’s rookie finds.

RECEIVERS

Nick Moore, Ernest Jackson and Courtney Taylor were the imports battling for employment, and while all three had receptions it was sophomore Kierrie Johnson who again stood out.

The blade-thin receiver got three steps behind coverage to haul in a 53-yard pass for one Travis Lulay’s three touchdown throws. The debate will be whether to cast aside practice-roster regulars Moore and Taylor, or go with Jackson. But there is no debate with Johnson, who arguably had the best camp of anyone on offence.

“The difference this year was coming in better shape than last year,” said Johnson, who has ballooned to 167 pounds. “I came in last year underweight.” On the strength of a five-catch, 94-yard receiving performance against Edmonton, Johnson’s weight appears to be purrfect.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Matt Norman got through his second straight game at left guard and in doing so will allow the Lions to make a plan. Norman has told the Lions he will return to the University of Western Ontario in eight weeks to continue his education but is fully committed to playing for the club next year.

Norman will lose his CIS eligibility when he is named to the 46-man roster this weekend but upon filing retirement papers also won’t be able to play this year for another CFL club. That represents a better scenario for the Lions, who had developed a nasty habit in recent years of cutting draft picks only to watch them sign elsewhere.

But at the rate at which the Lions are losing guards, they might be advised to hire security to prevent Norman from ever leaving. Patrick Kabongo, who arrived at the start of training camp to replace Dean Valli, suffered a contusion early in the third quarter and didn’t return.

DEFENSIVE BACK

If there is one area where a surprise might be forthcoming it could be in the secondary. And if veteran cornerback Byron Parker is on the bubble, as club sources have suggested, he didn’t help matters when he appeared to be victimized on a 57-yard Kerry Joseph pass completion on the final play of the first half.

Parker started at the wide-side spot but was still on the field when almost every other projected defensive starter had retired for the evening, as the Lions tried to get a better read on Joshua Bell.

The rookie responded, on both defence, with a knockdown, and special teams, where he contributed with a fumble recovery on an onside kick.

Buono, who took no time in free agency to sign Parker, the career touchdown interception leader in the CFL, might try to make a case with Benevides to go younger with Bell.

“You just never know what they’re thinking personnel-wise. I never think my job is secure,” Parker said. “I’m a vet but I’m not a B.C. vet, so for me I never want to get comfortable.”

No, the uncomfortable part is being coach of a team with a lot of options. Pass the Freezies. Now comes the hard part.

lullrich@theprovince.com

twitter.com/fifthqtr

© Copyright (c) The Province

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Lions ... z1yWv3g9Nv
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The guys who did the best job for Edmonton were the two play-by-play and colour guys for the Esks.com internet streaming broadcast. They were more knowledgeable about the Lions then i expected and it was nice to hear the point of view of some sports media guys from Edmonton.
IMO the Esks are a last place team and will likely play a two QB system because neither one will be all that great. Nice to see Dobson Collins have a good game and make some tough catches. I'm guessing he makes the roster.

Nice to see Kierrie Johnson have a great game. While several people on this forum favour the size of someone like Nick Moore, I will take speed over size any day and Johnson has the speed to scare defences. I see N. Moore making the 46 man roster and possibly the 42 roster because if put on the PR, he might get picked up by another team.
Blitz
Team Captain

Perhaps Byron Parker is on 'the bubble' due to his contract and the play at training camp of players like Bell. However, receivers are getting bigger and defensive backs like Parker can battle them for a football. Parker also brings experience and the abiity to create big plays that can change the momentum of a game.

LU wrote, after the Edmonton win..."Is Byron Parker really in trouble of losing his roster spot, as some players seemed to think? You’d certainly like to think that was not the case, seeing as though Wally Buono signed him in no time flat at free agency this winter. Parker hasn’t been dazzling in training camp but said he uses the time each year to get used to a new wide-side partner, and was hardly being embarrassed, though he did admit to one bust in coverage in the first half. That’s a huge price to pay for someone only months ago was much more valued by the general manager than he appears to be at the moment. We’re betting sanity will prevail when the cuts are announced this weekend."

Lets hope sanity does prevail and Wally does not overreact to Parker's salary and training camp play.....he's a proven commodity when the whistles blow during the regular season.

How do we keep Nick Moore and Earnest Jackson and Courtenay Taylor. We can't keep all three and it won't even be easy to keep two of them but my guess would be that Wally is trying to work a trade if he can but that won't be easy either. If they want to stay there are practice squads and injury lists but those scenarios don't pay well.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Blitz wrote: Lets hope sanity does prevail and Wally does not overreact to Parker's salary and training camp play.....he's a proven commodity when the whistles blow during the regular season.
Agreed Blitz. Just can't read too much into a tc/pre-season performance by a proven veteran like Parker. If Arland Bruce had dropped a couple of catchable balls would he be in danger of losing his job to Nick Moore?
If Parker is getting lit up in the regular season then I could see a reason to re-evaluate his status but his track record is just too good. He deserves the benefit of doubt for now.
DanoT wrote:The guys who did the best job for Edmonton were the two play-by-play and colour guys for the Esks.com internet streaming broadcast. They were more knowledgeable about the Lions then i expected and it was nice to hear the point of view of some sports media guys from Edmonton.team.
Good call DanoT. Both were excellent. The play-by-play guy (Morley Scott) was calling Vancouver Giants games 2 years ago. Colour guy Dave Campbell was very good and certainly did his homework on the Lions, signalling out how Josh Bell had an excellent camp.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:Can anyone confirm WC Joe and LU are two different people? :wink: haha LU suggests Parker could indeed be on the bubble. I didn't equate the rave TC reviews about Bell in the Riders game but definitely could see it last night. It's nice to have so many veterans in the secondary but the idea of working in a young player around them only makes sense, never mind from a better balance salary cap perspective either.
Yes I did get the idea of Parker on the bubble from Lowell's article. It was the first I had heard that Parker might not be a lock to make the team.

This is what happens when you have an overabundance of talent. Amazing amount of talent. Parker, Shell, Bell and even Lawson and Pope added to the mix of DBs in the off season. That is amazing. You could start those 5 guys and be in very good shape.

There is the future to consider. If one feels last year's veterans still have their mojo, one might decide to mix in the younger guys this year: Bell and Lawson. Dunno ... not my decisions.

Same with receivers ... Do we really want to give up Moore or Taylor or Jackson, and see them playing against us for the next few years? Dunno ... And yet how can you give up Arland Bruce (cannot) or Kierie Johnson (cannot)?

Those would seem to be the really tough roster decisions. And based on the idea of keeping the team young, and inexpensive, and still very, very talented, one could see Byron Parker being cut loose. Not wanting that, just considering what Wally and Mike et al are facing. Go for a quick repeat or think more long term.
David
Team Captain

The big question is - can Nick Moore be effective against 1st string defenses and when games count? He had a good preseason last year too, but wilted when the lights came on in Montreal (in fairness, he also picked up a shoulder injury that game). I think Kierrie Johnson is a lock to start, but I would like to see Ernest Jackson stick around as I like his upside (size, speed, and hands).

I am starting to agree with Blitz on Iannuzzi. I see Paris as the better playmaker of the two. Not saying Marco won't be good in a year or two, but no way should he be seeing more of the field than Paris at this stage.

BTW, LB Glenn Love looks to be a PR keeper!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I don't think they really threw the ball much Ianuzzi''s way. I remember 1 pass. I suspect they may use him on kick returns again this season. Something that PJ hasn't been used for. I do agree that PJ should be used more on the field that he seems to be right now. He brings a much needed grit and continues to perform at a high level IMO. He would be a 1st string player on some other teams in this league right now.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Rodney Paulk and Brandon Perguese were next up but with nobody dominating, it put some teeth into talk that Buono may try and work a trade on the weekend to obtain some value for one of the club’s rookie finds.

I mentioned this last week, and I think that is what Wally and MB are trying to accomplish today...who stays, active and PR, and who should be moved...and here is the thing, you might get a lot more value out of a proven talent like Byron Parker in a trade, than you would with one of the newcomers that shines in camp...

I tend to agree with Blitz, that Parker is a proven commodity and will have a strong season here, guaranteed...can any of the rookies guarantee this??? We just don't know...

The fact is, the Lions secondary is full with the starters, and then you STILL HAVE Lin J Shell and Josh Bell...short of Muamba at safety, you have 7 top, top guys for 5 jobs...how do you reconcile it? Keep only 5 on the DLine? A little risky when the 5th guy is a true rookie...

This is not going to be an easy day for either Wally, or especially MB...Johnson has guaranteed himself on the active roster, and with all the Canadian WRs that we have and how good they are, there is NO ROOM for any other IMPORT WR on the active roster...and that means only ONE of the 3 (Moore, Jackson, and Courtney Taylor) will likely even be invited to the practise roster...and yet all 3 can probably start at a pretty high level right now...as I mentioned yesterday, Ernest Jackson's measurables are the stuff of freaks with his size and speed...do you let someone like this walk??? And if you don't do you just cast aside Nick Moore after he responded big time with a great camp???

Tough, tough decisions today...

One other note, I am MASSIVELY relieved to hear about Matt Norman...the Lions had to have some assurances from Norman before he went back to school, because you simply can't let your starting guard for the next 10 years re-enter the draft again next year....the makes me feel a whole lot better.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

David wrote:This is a deep, talented, veteran team. Not many concerns, but we need a more dynamic running attack. We're okay on misdirection, but we've struggled for the 2nd straight game going up the middle.

Hmmm. Yurichuk vs Bighill at MLB. Quite the battle. To me, Bighill seems to have better linebacking instincts.

DH :cool:
He may David, but Yurichuk has that passport in his back pocket. That makes a huge difference unfortunately.
I have my head up my butt - 120db
ziggy
Legend

I don't know if the "passport" part is unfortunate? Wouldn't be the CFL if Canadians weren't playing in it.
Rammer
Team Captain

ziggy wrote:I don't know if the "passport" part is unfortunate? Wouldn't be the CFL if Canadians weren't playing in it.
Interesting proposition. The CFL did have the American Division that went without any Canadians, which did allow me to celebrate a tiny bit more when the Lions took the 94 GC over Baltimore. Still, as devote a Nationalist as I am, I think that the numbers involved for NI positions, hurts the CFL game vs help it. Now that is being said even in consideration of the wealth of Canadian receivers in the league. Other than a couple of OL and RB's who seem to be on par with their American rivals, not many NI's seem to be at the level of their US counterparts. And the part that kills, is when a starting NI goes down and you have to move the lineup around to compensate for one injury.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote: Interesting proposition. The CFL did have the American Division that went without any Canadians, which did allow me to celebrate a tiny bit more when the Lions took the 94 GC over Baltimore. Still, as devote a Nationalist as I am, I think that the numbers involved for NI positions, hurts the CFL game vs help it. Now that is being said even in consideration of the wealth of Canadian receivers in the league. Other than a couple of OL and RB's who seem to be on par with their American rivals, not many NI's seem to be at the level of their US counterparts. And the part that kills, is when a starting NI goes down and you have to move the lineup around to compensate for one injury.
We may see this differently, Rammer.

If we lost Canadian content they would lose me as a fan instantly. I don't care if there are better import players who could replace some NI players. To me the CFL is a little cottage league, and not that little, and with an amazing heritage, and with a fantastic on the field game, and with a fantastic fan experience. So the ratio is just fine with me.

It is obvious that there are plenty of NI receivers who should be playing. To me it is obvious that there are plenty of NI O Linemen who should be playing. Running backs. A few D Linemen and more coming. DBs tend to go to the amazing athletes the US produces, and no Jimmy the Greek comments about ethnicity. :wink: The NI linebackers that play are plenty good enough, even athletically, but it is a position dominated by imports, just as the DBs are.

QBs? It is what it is. The US is a quarterback factory and incubator. But even there, the handful of NI QBs with tryouts this year is very impressive.

WCJ = Happy with the Ratio
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

ziggy wrote:I don't know if the "passport" part is unfortunate? Wouldn't be the CFL if Canadians weren't playing in it.
55yard line / rogue / 3 downs etc. I guess we can agree to disagree on what the CFL is.

I'd rather see the best players.....period.

Should the NHL start restricting the number of euros?

If I am going to spend my entertainment dollar then I could care less if the OT tackle is from Texas, Sask or frickin Timbuktu. And to be honest I haven't spent a dime on this team in a few years after being a season ticket holder and way too much time on this site.

It's not the quality NI starter I have an issue with, it's the horse *poop* back up that has that spot based on citizenship, not ability.
I have my head up my butt - 120db
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:
One other note, I am MASSIVELY relieved to hear about Matt Norman...the Lions had to have some assurances from Norman before he went back to school, because you simply can't let your starting guard for the next 10 years re-enter the draft again next year....the makes me feel a whole lot better.
The Lions have been badly burned in the past by guys wanting to return to school only to see them reappear on another team's roster. I would sleep better knowing that Norman signed his retirement papers thus keeping him in the Lions stables.