Lions 43 - Alouettes 1 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

swervynmerv
Legend

Had to miss the game with work, but tried to catch some radio, sounded like a great game.

Can't believe the turnaround. I would have not even put down five dollars at 1,000:1 odds when the Lions were 0-5 if someone had told me they would HOST the West Final.

Congratulations to all players and coaches!!

Go Lions :beauty:
joe kapp22
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:I expected alot more from the Als given the magnitude of this game. With the exception of the 1st drive, BC was in total control. In another thread I said the key to beating the Als is pressure, pressure, pressure and more pressure. Lions brought pressure and they held Calvilllo in check. One of the worst game I've seen Calvillo played. In all fairness, he didn't get much help from his receiving core.
This with defencive backs out of the game. our front 4 just beat up on their front 5, and did so all night.

Calgary or the Esks, who do we want to play? Who did we do better against this yr?
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

We turn back the clocks tonight and apparently Brent Johnson turned his all the way back to 2006. A vintage performance from one of the Lion all-time greats. Was huge in the 1st half with two sacks and another tackle for a loss. :thup:
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

I am probably getting tarred and feathered for this, but here goes.

I just finished editing the game DVD from tonight, and had perused some 6 or 7 games this morning from 2006.

I think right now, this team is better than the 2006 Grey Cup Championship team, and light years better than 2000 or 1994. 2006 had offensive problems moving the ball, and the team won on McCallum's foot and a dominant Defence. This team has dominant O and D, and ST were better tonight.

Another difference is that the arrogance of the 06 team, and the current Bombers and Stampeders...isn't there. They are confident in the guy next to them, they know the playbook, and the coaches have made the changes that allow them to succeed.

Kudos to the coaches for this one, and the players for doing what they had to.

0-5 was probably the best thing that could have happened. Even you wanted Wally's head, Rammer. :cool: :wink:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

hopefully wally can keep them from celebrating too much.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:I am probably getting tarred and feathered for this, but here goes.

I just finished editing the game DVD from tonight, and had perused some 6 or 7 games this morning from 2006.

I think right now, this team is better than the 2006 Grey Cup Championship team, and light years better than 2000 or 1994. 2006 had offensive problems moving the ball, and the team won on McCallum's foot and a dominant Defence. This team has dominant O and D, and ST were better tonight.

Another difference is that the arrogance of the 06 team, and the current Bombers and Stampeders...isn't there. They are confident in the guy next to them, they know the playbook, and the coaches have made the changes that allow them to succeed.

Kudos to the coaches for this one, and the players for doing what they had to.

0-5 was probably the best thing that could have happened. Even you wanted Wally's head, Rammer. :cool: :wink:
I don't know personnel wise that we're better than 06-07. 94 and 00 were flukes, at least in my mind. But they're playing better, particularly offensively, that I'll definitely give you. I think kickoff and punt coverage is performing better as well.

I still have my concerns about Calgyra, but I know this team can beat Edmonton 9.99999999 times out of 10. This has been a terrific turnaround, and the roster is solid. I'm surprised and, as it relates to earlier in the season, glad to be wrong.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

There's not much to add. It was a dominating effort. The Lions outplayed and outcoached the Als. Calvillo had no idea what the B.C. defence was doing and the Montreal defence had no idea how to stop Andrew Harris out of the backfield.

The 0-5 start was humbling. The players and coaches showed character and resilience to believe in themselves and fight back. They've played every game since as if they had something to prove. They still do. This team is all business. I don'tthink the first-place finish will go to their heads. They'll be ready for whoever shows up on Nov. 20. And they'll hopefully be healthy and rested. Congratulations, Lions.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:We turn back the clocks tonight and apparently Brent Johnson turned his all the way back to 2006. A vintage performance from one of the Lion all-time greats. Was huge in the 1st half with two sacks and another tackle for a loss. :thup:
Especially on the play where he bullrushed the left tackle back into Calvillo.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:
0-5 was probably the best thing that could have happened.
I don't advocate using that strategy again next season. :wink:
cromartie
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
I don't know personnel wise that we're better than 06-07. 94 and 00 were flukes, at least in my mind. But they're playing better, particularly offensively, that I'll definitely give you. I think kickoff and punt coverage is performing better as well.

I still have my concerns about Calgyra, but I know this team can beat Edmonton 9.99999999 times out of 10. This has been a terrific turnaround, and the roster is solid. I'm surprised and, as it relates to earlier in the season, glad to be wrong.
It's kind of odd to quote yourself but I want to add one more thought to this.

When teams are especially good on Special Teams, particularly in coverage, to me it's a testament to how good your personnel people are. While some starters are out there on coverage units, a lot of those units are depth guys and when they perform well it generally means they're talented above and beyond those of their opponents. And that's a testament to the front office, at least in my mind.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

joe kapp22 wrote:
Calgary or the Esks, who do we want to play? Who did we do better against this yr?
Both teams don't scare me. The Lions owned both teams in the regular season. I'm going to order a big pizza and beer next Sunday and watch Edmonton and Calgary go at it. Hope it's cold, windy and it goes into triple overtime.
hwgill
Legend

All I have to say is I'm glad I was wrong about Lulay. I didn't see greatness in him earlier this season, even when they were winning. But the way he played tonight, his reads, his accuracy, and his play-action fakes...he does have the potential for greatness.

ST were so much better tonight than I have seen in a long time. Defense...what can you say, they were unstoppable. The O played just as well in the second as they did in the first. It was a first rate blowout. Not one that I would call exciting, but one that I would call satisfying considering how Trestman ran up the score against us in the 09 Eastern final with a score of 56-18. I would say to Trestman, karma is a b*****.
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
darnellclash
Starter

My phone just rang off the hook with buddies wanting tix to the Western final...as I am a season tix holders I called the leos head office yesterday to make sure we can still take advantage of that offer to buy 4 more playoff tix at season tix prices..I just sold all 4 .... I was so disapointed in 2005 when the Esks beat us in the WDF and the crowd sucked because everyone had spent their dollars on grey cup tix and we got like 30k at the western final...hopfully with the momentum and the new dome we'll get a good crowd.......ps noticed the roof was closed thought it would be open I guess they kept it closed for the noise, am I the only one who was looking forward to it being open and getting some good football weather ? any opinions on the roof closed for the WDF ?
It is what it is.
David
Team Captain

hwgill wrote:It was a first rate blowout. Not one that I would call exciting, but one that I would call satisfying considering how Trestman ran up the score against us in the 09 Eastern final with a score of 56-18. I would say to Trestman, karma is a b*****.
Yea, Wally made me go "really?? Now that's ballsy...." when he threw the challenge flag while we were up like, a gazillion to 1. Then I suddenly remembered Trestman pulled that same sh*t on us in the East Final, throwing the challenge flag in the late stages of a blowout.

Carry on sir.... :roar:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

hwgill wrote:The O played just as well in the second as they did in the first. It was a first rate blowout. Not one that I would call exciting, but one that I would call satisfying considering how Trestman ran up the score against us in the 09 Eastern final with a score of 56-18. I would say to Trestman, karma is a b*****.
It might look like a blowout on the scoreboard but I'd have to believe WB is thinking of how the offence only scored one TD in the whole second half.

By the way, they REALLY need to

FIX
THE
G*D
D*MN
PLAY
CLOCK
AT
BCP.

$500M+ in renovations and we can't have a functioning 20 second timer?

That is all.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.